LegacyGT.com

23.1 mpg on first tank of gas.

Well after three weeks and only 284 miles I filled up today (even though the needle was just under 1/4 tank) and was pleased to get 23.1 mpg on the first tank. Granted, probably 230-240 of those miles were freeway driving, but still not too shabby considering the engine isn't broken in yet. Plus, I've been doing less agressive Mototune type break in. Meaning, in the first 20-30 miles I ran the car up to 5500 rpm twice to 5000 rpm once or twice, and up to 4000 rpm several times. From 30-100 miles I backed off a bit but still ran it up above 4K a time or two. And from 100-284 miles, I've pretty much kept it under 4K, maybe venturing to 4500-5000 once or twice for a quick point and squirt. I think I average about 23-24 mpg on my 2002 Maxima GLE with the 3.5 liter in 75-80% freeway driving, so I'm already close to that with the Legacy GT on it's first tank...not too bad!

Just one thing, did you rely on the on board computer or did you do manual calculations to find this average. The computer is known to be quite optimistic.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[size=2]I put about 280 miles on my first tank of gas in about 5 days and got 22.5 MPG (manually calculated).[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]My 2nd tank of gas was 295 miles with a manually calculated 24 MPG. About 95 percent of my driving is on the freeway. I have been varying my speed between 55 MPH and 75 MPH, with a few jumps to 90 MPH and one to 95 MPH when passing people. I think I am approaching 600 miles on the odo now.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]I have also been trying to do a less aggressive Mototune break-in. I usually rev to about 5000-5500rpm about twice every 2 days or so. I also try to do alot of engine breaking from about 4000-5000rpm down to 2000rpm. I normally shift between 3000-4000rpm. Have not gone to red-line yet and don't plan to til after 1000 miles. Seems to be taking forever. :) [/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]Car Dude [/size]

[quote name='Max Capacity']6600 miles on mine 23 is about average. My 00'GT would almost get that. With 90HP more I think 23mpg is great.[/QUOTE] This means your not driving hard enough, you know that don't you..... :lol: j/k
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I only got 19 mpg on my first tank. I'm at about 280 miles now, and the estimated mp3 is hoving around 15! For me, the estimated has been reading lower than it it actually getting, wierd. For those doing the mototune break-in, when did you change your oil first, or have you yet?

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']Just one thing, did you rely on the on board computer or did you do manual calculations to find this average. The computer is known to be quite optimistic.[/QUOTE] Approximately 10% optimistic for every tankful I've used in 8000 miles. Typically it reports 24-ish and I calculate 22-ish. I always use the same pump and don't top off after it clicks off, so the "level of tank fullness" should be very consistent. The one thing I haven't checked is the trip odometer distance accuracy; next time I'm on the freeway for at least 10 miles, I'll check that.

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']This means your not driving hard enough, you know that don't you..... :lol: j/k[/QUOTE] Since we put a mbc on it I'm getting about 19mpg. 15psi is to much fun.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='kenzo'] The one thing I haven't checked is the trip odometer distance accuracy; next time I'm on the freeway for at least 10 miles, I'll check that.[/QUOTE] I'll likely check that this weekend. We have an almost 600 mile trip to take. Lots of cars' odometers/speedometers are off a considerable amount. I don't know about the LGT. Anyone check with a GPS yet?

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']Just one thing, did you rely on the on board computer or did you do manual calculations to find this average. The computer is known to be quite optimistic.[/QUOTE] Yeah, manually calculated. 284.4 miles took 12.3 gallons. Yes, those onboard computers are useless. I've never seen a car which has one that even with .5 mpg accurate. And, the reason I only have 284 miles on my car so far was two fold: 1. I didn't want to drive it until I got the clearbra put on. The first 44 miles was just driving it home from the dealer. The next 95 miles was driving roundtrip to Star Shield Armor the first time. Then another 95 miles the second time to get it installed. 2. Since then, I've been working on a show 51 miles in each direction away from my home, and we have to park in a dirt parking lot. So I've been taking the runabout Corolla for that duty. So in a sense the Legacy IS my weekend car right now! :)

[quote name='Driver72']... Yes, those onboard computers are useless. I've never seen a car which has one that even with .5 mpg accurate. ... [/QUOTE] I had an 1987.5 Legend Coupe; its trip computer reported gas mileage that was accurate to within the display resolution (0.1 mpg) as compared to manually calculated results.

I average around 23mpg though my last tank in extremely windy conditions, cruising at 75 coming home last night and with jaunts up to well, less than legal speeds we'll say and including a drive through Kettle Moraine yesterday really sucked up the last tank. So I'd be lucky with 20 on that tank. I've put about 2000-2500 miles on in the past 3 weeks. I've been a busy guy. :)

I got my legacy last Tuesday with 40 miles already on it and it is now Sunday and I have almost 600 miles on it. I have done a lot of different types of driving: highway, city, mountains, etc. and the car computer says that I have averaged around 22.5 mpg for the life of the car. I have not figured this out manually yet but I might do that with my next tank of gas. BTW, when I received it it only had an average of around 18 mpg and I haven't seen anything that low since. This makes me think that whomever drove it from the dealership to my leasing agents office must have driven it rather hard because I have driven it fairly hard also but within the limits of the break in procedures. Oh well, nothing I can do about that now except drive it well for the rest of the break in period and then "drive it like I stole it".

At first i was averaging about 18mpg when i got my car, but now im around 23...if you get around 18mpg most likely it's your style of driving and not the car, because i eased up on the fast accelerations and fast driving all together...follow the speed limit and don't fly off everytime u accelerate and you should get 23mpg with no problem.

I was prepared to do this but ran into a snag. I am getting my car from 170 miles away. I did the money work at a local dealership and they are having the car driven here by one of there drivers..i tried everything possible to work out something where i could be the one driving it home and they said no. So it will have about 200 even when i take possesion since it already had 30 something on it..so my biggest question is it still possible to do the mototune and expect the same or close to the same results, any suggestions on where to start the process if not at the beginning due to my higher mileage? Thanks

[quote name='KayGT']but ...follow the speed limit and don't fly off everytime u accelerate and you should get 23mpg with no problem.[/QUOTE] Yea, like that's going to happen...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived