LegacyGT.com

Another sticky clutch pedal

I've searched and read all the threads I could find about this. Mine is a 97 gt sw. Pedal will stick on the floor and slowly pop out. I have replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder and the trans snout with the sleeve and new throwout bearing. Still sticking. Crawled under dash and removed master cyl linkage and clutch pedal will stick to the floor with nothing attached to it. Is there a adjustment somewhere on this? I put a return spring on the pedal and it works pretty good but I know it isn't correct. What gives? Clutch looked like it had plenty life in it when I replaced engine.

only time ive seen that is when the system needed bleeding, or parts needed replaced. recently did this on my daughters forester, first the slave then the master had to be replaced. for a while she had a bungee cord pulling it forward. the hydraulics is what pushes the pedal back at you.

There cannot be any air in the system. I have filled the reservoir twice pulling fluid through the slave cyl. It has been this way since I bought it. I thought the trans snout was causing this till I fixed it. No difference. All new hydraulics, no difference. I don't get it.

this has happened to me. have you checked the clutch hose. mine had a pin sized hole in it and it took like a week to leak out completely after installing a new clutch, slave, and master. just putting it out there. how much have you driven it?

What is the dampener? I'm thinking the spring on the pedal assembly.

If I'm not mistaken, the spring on the pedal actually helps depress the pedal. If you don't believe me, depressurize the system and push the pedal down. The clutch dampener is basically a check valve that slows the return of hydraulic fluid thus slowing the engagement of the clutch.

I haven't driven it. Fork was lubed when installed. I didn't see any imperfections in the fork. It doesn't mean it isn't broke. I had it all apart and didn't see any check valve, doesn't mean one isn't there. I'm not losing any fluid at all. I put a makeshift spring on the pedal to help the pedal back up and when I backed the car out of the garage it worked perfect. Would love to figure this thing out.

Archived