LegacyGT.com

Turbo failure

I recently purchased a new turbo.Had the turbo installed by a shop .The install went great .Oh I also replaced the oil line(infamous)..Anyway the turbo failed within 25miles(less than a 1hr).I heard this metal noise(almost like nuts n bolts).Towed the car to my mechanic he pulled the turbo off and sure enough the shaft was junk,tons of play(intact)..From what my mechanic thinks,it was a bad turbo.He checked the oil supply,when he took off the oil line oil seem to flow out as it should.He also checked the OCV's and they are working properly.Nows here is where the issue is.I sent the turbo back and they are telling me it was oil starved(ocv failure) and is NOT covered under warranty.Here is the real kicker, reinstalled the old turbo and is working perfect..So my question is how can the new turbo not be covered under warranty? Obviously the turbo is getting oil,the ocv's are working properly.Also when talking with the turbo company I explained to him that on their website they it says "must replace oil line to be covered under warranty". And I did replace the oil line.He then tells me that its the ocv .I then explained to him that if they required the OCV's to be replaced for the turbo to be covered under warranty "I would have replaced them" but IT DOES NOT SAY ON THEIR WEBSITE MUST REPLACE OCV TO BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY..Anyway I would like to here what you people think..thanks

VF40? If so, what happened is you pumped too much oil too fast (read too much volume and pressure) into it using the IP&T kit. The feed line in the kit is much larger than the stock 3/16" line that comes with your car and also, the oil supply comes from a more direct source on your engine (OCV feed) and most likely floated the bearings (read shitty little bushings) and caused them to actually starve because of it being pumped so hard in through the weep holes. This can make the bushings actually freeze on the shaft while it's spinning and end up with the results you had.

My understanding is that Mike doesn't really recommend using his kit on stock VF40 turbos because of this exact issue. It sounds like it should oil better but in fact, the pressure pushes the oil through so hard that it actually starves the bushings.

We need more back ground.

Why did you think you needed a new turbo ?

Did you check the new turbo before install ?

I made sure my new turbo had zero shaft play.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

@Rob-2..I even offered to send a copy of what the SHOP did and said about the turbo,oil line,ocv's ect..The turbo company did not want it,not sure why?I thought about doing that.

@Max.Just upgrading,stock turbo has 90k..Yes (shop also)checked the new turbo seemed ok..I upgraded to a 18g

Who was the turbo company that refuses to honor a warranty?

I dont want to give the name out yet.Im hoping the issue will be reolved.This company seems to be legit and seems to get good reviews.

I should have gone with a Kinugawa,they seem to be very good with warranty coverage..

Turbokits.com got me. A vf40 turbo lasted a year about 19k miles. Called them up and they seemed to care less. Wasted time and money. Only good thing is my aftermarket warranty paid $1850.00 for a new vf40 turbo and install at Subaru. Subaru tech said the inner seal was leaking. No smoke out exhaust just dripping a lot onto the up pipe. My inner cooler was filled with oil. I played stupid and so did the dealer. At least I have a warranty from the dealer for a year with unlimited miles

Who was the turbo company that refuses to honor a warranty?

Well, this seems pretty easy to deduce. Which turbo company supports our LGTs, makes a 18g, and recently changed their requirement on warranty to require the Infamous filtered line? Hmmm :rolleyes:

I want people here to understand,Im not bashing this company.All I want is your input to "why" you think the turbo failed.I went with this company cause of its reputation(short).I had two seperate shops look at my car and both said "it seems to be getting enough oil,ocv's are working properly".So the conclusion they came to is the turbo was faulty from the company...Thats it.

I'm thinking its like said above, you had to much oil flow.

Some turbo's don't like lots of oil.

I don't know the complete story. I know I've put restrictors on turbo's we put on honda's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, this seems pretty easy to deduce. Which turbo company supports our LGTs, makes a 18g, and recently changed their requirement on warranty to require the Infamous filtered line? Hmmm :rolleyes:

Well, I know....but you never know if someone else has recently decided to do the same after seeing ummm....errrr.....uhhhh.....that company, make their warranty require the filter/line kit.

Archived