LegacyGT.com

Starting a LGT that has been sitting for a year

Greetings all. Due to me being a clossal lazy ass my car has been on jack stands and has not been started in a year. I finally have it back together and am wanting to crank it up. Obviously at this point the gas is very old. I have tried siphoning the tank but cannot get a tube further down the filler neck than about a foot. I was wondering if I can top it up as best I can with fresh 93 octane from a gas can if I should be worried? Are there any fuel additives I can put in to also make this easier on the engine? I think it has a bit more than half a tank, unfortunately the battery is too dead right now for me to check, I just stuck my charger on it and am waiting.

Any other words of advice for cranking it up? The oil is synthetic and doesn't have that many miles on it, should I start it up, let it get hot, and then change the oil? Or change the oil first?

I also read something about pulling the ignition fuse and cranking the car to build oil pressure before starting it. How long should I crank it? 5-10 seconds? A couple of short bursts?

Anything else I should be aware of? This is a Stage 2 tune, considering the gas situation I'm a little worried. Obviously I'm going to be reallllly gentle on the girl for that first tank of gas.

Thanks all

She's aliiiiivvveeee! I topped her up with 5 gallons of 93 along with a bottle of Seafoam. I discovered there is no ignition fuse, so I tried the trick of flooring the gas pedal while cranking to keep fuel from being sprayed. Cranked it a couple of times, crossed my fingers, and started it. She fired right up and ran and idled perfectly!

Archived