LegacyGT.com

Maintaining the rubber trim and dash

I hope this wasn't discussed already.

As our doors don't have a frame I worry about the quality of the rubber molding which I don't want to harden up with time and start getting drips inside the car. What product would you recommend that moisturizes and maintains that rubber nice and soft? The jury seems to be split on silicone. Some folks told me to use it while others told me not to, as it will streak the window and such.

Also looking for a product to use on my dashboard. I know it sounds like a fairly simple question but I hate products like Armor All. They leave a ... slippery [for lack of a better word] residue behind. Is there anything out there that will keep the dash soft but not make it shine like crazy or leave anything significant behind? I'd also use this on my wife's Focus ZX3 interior.

Thanks guys!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did a search for 303...do you use the aerospace cleaner?

I read about it...seems like the bomb. I need to hook that up!

The closest place that carries it is a West Marine...

Rehab is for quitters.

Armor All USED to have an "ingredient", I forget what it was called, that would evaporate and when it did, it would cause the surface on which it was applied to shrink. Yep, you guessed it, cracks galore. I was told by a couple of friends that work on cars that the company has since taken the ingredient out, but that doesn't change the other things I absolutely hate about it.

I have had pretty good luck with FK1-108 for use on rubber and vinyl. Clean with a diluted APC then apply 108 with a soft sponge (vinyl) or an old terry cloth (rubber trim).

Wait a few minutes then buff vinyl with a microfiber cloth. If you like a slightly shiny look then skip the buffing step, but the finish will be slightly slick, but not tacky.

http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm

Yes, I use the aerospace cleaner. I started getting it from marine suppliers after my Dad started using it on his boats.

Thanks for the info fishbone. I didn't realise they changed the formula, but like you said I still wouldn't use it for other reasons.

303 FTW on the dash and interior. I have not had good luck with 303 on surfaces exposed to the elements outside the car. It seems to wash off somewhat quickly with rain.

As far as the rubber seals and rubber on the outside of the car:

http://www.poorboysworld.com/trim-restorer.htm

Not only does it have UV protection, but it'll bring the black color back and looks amazing and seems to be pretty weatherproof.

303 is a great product. Highly recommend it. It leaves an OEM matte finish. Minimal odor. Superior protection. Be careful not to layer it up though. It is only a monthly treatment. Otherwise a microfiber - moistened with water- will clean the dash. If you need to truly clean the dash look into a cleaning product like available at Autopia Car Care. There are coupons sent out occasionally for ACC... 15% usually. Sign up or I will start posting the coupon codes like I used to at PassatWorld Forums.

303 I have used on the rubber weatherstripping. It cleans and protects nicely.

Poorboy's World products I like to use. I only have expeirence with their paint polish, sealant and wax. Never have I used their dash dressing. Though judging by my experience with their product, it will be a great product for low money. Poorboy's is where I will continue to purchase my detailing products.

If you want a specialized product try 1Z (Einszett) Gummipflege

Do NOT use ArmorAll. Blah. You have a nice car, use nice products.

I enjoy detailing!

• 1 year later...

Holy thread revival :)

Here's a trivial question, or maybe not so trivial. I was in Autozone two days ago trying to find some products that were talked about in this topic. Then, just casually looking at your standard dash wipes I noticed that pretty much all of them stated they maintain plastic and rubber.

Anyone here tried the standard dashboard wipes on their rubber door trim? Does it work?

303 doesn't say anything about conditioning ie moisturizing, does it do that also? It sounds like it's only a UV protectant, dirt and moisture repellant but I'm more concerned about cracking and drying.

On the Rubber around the door window.... General Motor's makes a weatherstrip immulant...service manager at Subie dealership suggest it.

As to the dash etc....is this 303 available in Canada? and do you a url (Web Site) address

The 303 is one of the best and most likely easy to find products that you can use. It isn't exactly cheap though. I believe it is upwards of $12 something per bottle. It is so worth it though. Google "303 Aerospace Protectant" and you can probably answer the question about where it is available. I buy it locally at Checker, so I don't know if it would be in the great white north.

The wipes suck. They don't apply evenly and they don't apply enough. Plus when you think about it, you go through them a lot faster than a bottle of spray, so they are going to cost you more and not work as well. You are much better off just getting a bottle of 303 and doing it right.

I use Four Star Rubber & Vinyl Protectant and have found that it works just as well as 303. It is a non glossy formula that protects beautifuly. In fact, if you look in the Covercraft Sunshade thread that I just bumped you can see this product in action on my dash. It is a great protectant. I just bought out the stock on Danase.com since they don't carry it anymore, but you can still find it here and there if you look for it. DetailCity.com may still carry it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived