LegacyGT.com

DIY: Rough idle in cold start/cold temps LGT 07-09

Well i guess i will post my dealership horror-story about this. Been having this issue all winter. CEL came on twice so far because of it- running lean and misfires in all 4. Got sick of it one day and took it to the dealer. Because it had already warmed up, the issue was not there when they looked at it. told them i would drop it off overnight so they could recreate it. before i left i told them it could be the gaskets, and showed one of the mechanics (who i know) this thread, and he read it. I told them these were the exact symptoms i was experiencing, and they could decide whether or not the gaskets were at fault. The mechanic mentioned a way to check if the gaskets were to blame, and i left with the impression they would look at them. they looked it up and noted it would be covered by my warranty (and grunted about it), but nevertheless acknowledged the issue. Felt good about everything after dropping my car off. Got the call the next day. They tried to blame the issue on my LWCP and hogzaust. They wanted me to change everything back to stock before they went any further with diagnostics. After leaving there furious- went to the parts department to get the gaskets, but of course they had none. Going to call another dealership and see if i get any luck there, if not, I'll be DIMyself.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did this today. Was my first repair on this car since I bought it two months ago. It is still under the powertrain warranty and I am actually taking it in Monday for another reason but I wanted to do this myself first because I prefer to do my own work when possible.

My old gaskets were a bit oily as well. Not quite as much as the picture above but I wouldn't worry about it. Also my car was also smoking a lot on the turbo side as well but I knew I spilled a bit of coolant out of the reservoir and expected some burning. It was more than expected though and it didn't really smell like antifreeze but it went away after a few minutes.

I do recommend taking the reservoir off. It made things a bit easier.

The drivers side was definitely hardest . I did it without help though. I used a box wrench and wedged it between the manifold and tgv where one of the bolts passes through. I figured it was safe since that is not a sealing surface. My 19mm box wrench was sufficiently thick enough to hold the gap wide enough to remove and install the gaskets.

I also removed the rubber coupler from the tb to the tmic to get more room on the back side. If you do this just remember how it is oriented because it has to go back the right way for the intercooler to mount properly. I didn't realize this and I probably spent an extra hour trying to get that right.

My car seems to idle better after the fix, but I still feel a little a bit of a stumble which I guess I will mention to the service department when I bring it in Monday. It did help though and I'm glad I did it.

Good thing I found this thread. I took it to the dealership Wednesday and of course by the time I got there it ran perfectly fine. The mechanic told me to leave it overnight but I didn't want to. I realized it is a problem in the morning when I first start the car up the last couple days so ill take it back this week.

Im attempting to take mine to another dealer on monday. Making sure it gets done this time. Bringing all my ammo. Looked up the old part (14035aa491) on trademotion.com and it says the part was superceded by 14035aa492. Actually called them to find out when it happened but they only knew that the price for the old part was last updated in their system november 2011

• 2 weeks later...

I just dropped off my car today but now its alot warmer. It's going to be a average of 35. =/

I was dealing with it for about a mile + when I was coming home from a friends house after the NBA all star game. It was about 0 and windy outside.

I never got any CEL lights though. It just stumbles.

Edited by Dam itz Lou

No idea about 2.5is but think I read earlier in this thread that they dont. Good news for me the second dealer came through! Fixed under warranty but I have 100 deductible for it so I paid 80$ more and wasted a lot more time than doing it myself, but found a better dealer out of it and i didnt break anything. I printed the first page of this thread and gave it to them. Told them about the first dealer too which probably helped. They didnt give me shit or try to blame my hogzaust and lwcp for the problem either. Glad its overwith and no problems with it since.

• 3 weeks later...
Tried this today. I was a in a little over my head for the allotted time.. The DIY pics were a little simple for a novice such as myself. I will try again when I have a friend and a little more time and hopefully some warmer weather!!!

Tried this today. I was a in a little over my head for the allotted time.. The DIY pics were a little simple for a novice such as myself. I will try again when I have a friend and a little more time and hopefully some warmer weather!!!

Good luck man. You can do it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well...that wasn't fun. Got it done though.

Time will tell if it cures the piss poor idle and other

weirdness that's been going on. First test drive was promising.

Thanks for the great thread...BMX...Brady...or whatever the

latest name is. Good stuff !!

Driver side gaskets were a PITA...Damn !!

• 7 months later...

Great write up! Glad I found this as I've been struggling with this issue for a year and no one could find a problem. I'm doing the work this weekend on my 05 LGT so hopefully it goes well.

I do have a question though. Last winter I noticed a very strong raw gas smell when it got cold and I had the fresh air coming in from the outside. Turn the recirc air on and it goes away, but the windows fog. As long as I'm moving I can have the fresh air on, but it's ANNOYING! I've searched everywhere for an answer to this problem and have been told the fuel lines shrink in the winter??? WTH? There are no clamps to tighten as they are solid fittings. I'm wondering if this bad intake O ring issue has something to do with it? If not, has anyone else had this issue or know what the hell to do to fix it? I'd hate to have to replace all the fuel lines on a 8 year old car! HELP!! :confused:

In my thread linked below in my sig, you'll see where the clamps are.

I lockwired them for a few years to seal the gas. May be the old photos are there of the lockwire. I can't see them from work.

The main leak is the front clamp behind the AC compressor.

See picture in post 57.

and,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4678_zps8b9100aa.jpg

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
In my thread linked below in my sig, you'll see where the clamps are.

I lockwired them for a few years to seal the gas. May be the old photos are there of the lockwire. I can't see them from work.

The main leak is the front clamp behind the AC compressor.

See picture in post 57.

and,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4678_zps8b9100aa.jpg

I had to do exactly this about a week ago. I had been smelling fuel for about two weeks and thought it was cold start catless exhaust smells. Looked under my hood while replacing a p/s pump oring and saw fuel dripping steadily from this hose. Scared the shit out of me. Easy fix though.

• 3 weeks later...
Does this cause the car to stall too? I seem to have the same issue. Cold starts it runs rough and when i drive it around and come to a stop, the idle would drop real low (500rpm) and go back up and at times it would stall. After about 15 mins of driving around, and it stalling about 6 or 7 times it would start running fine. Does this seem like symptoms of the intake manifold gaskets needing to be changed?

I started to experience these symptoms when the temperature dipped below 20 deg F. Also, got a CEL two occasions over the past 2 weeks (P0171 code "System Too Lean - Bank 1"). I picked up the gaskets at the dealership last night. The tech at the parts counter said something like "they should've put these on all the cars," so I'm assuming this is a fairly common issue.

Does this cause the car to stall too? I seem to have the same issue. Cold starts it runs rough and when i drive it around and come to a stop, the idle would drop real low (500rpm) and go back up and at times it would stall. After about 15 mins of driving around, and it stalling about 6 or 7 times it would start running fine. Does this seem like symptoms of the intake manifold gaskets needing to be changed?

I believe this only happens when it's very cold outside. It goes away once the TGVs and gaskets heat up and expand. Does it seem to be weather dependent?

• 1 month later...

Just tackled this today. Wouldnt have made it without the encouraging posts about the driver side being possible because it didnt seem like it would be. Lost some coolant out of the reservoir which caused some pretty heavy steam during the shake down drive, but seems like I have enough to make it to the dealership to get more.

This is the first winter for the Subaru having lived in CA since I bought it, but then the Navy moved me. So I should know tomorrow if it worked, temps are supposed to dip below 20 F.

I've been having this issue for the past few weeks now and never threw a cel until last weekend! I ordered new gaskets from the dealer but forgot to mention the part # to them. Hopefully they are the revised gaskets. I'm going to git'r'done sometime this weekend. Thanks for the nice write-up!