LegacyGT.com

There goes my clutch

Hey everyone. So basically the past week my clutch started slipping.

I brought my car into a shop and they looked at it and quoted me at $1130 for a new clutch. They didn't say anything about a flywheel so I'm not too sure about that.

Anyways, I am mainly just looking for options I have. If I'm really about to spend this much money I want to research a little.

Should I upgrade my clutch to stage 1? Would it cost much more than that?

I was also thinking maybe I should purchase my parts online and bring them to a shop for installation.

Just any information that you guys can tell me would be great. I've been searching google and the forums for a while now so I think I'm getting the basics.

Thanks!

Edit - If anyone around the Groton/New London area knows a good mod friendly shop please let me know!

Update -

I finally got my car towed to a shop near me yesterday. I was recommended this place by a few different shops and a friend of mine.

Anyways, they called this morning and told me the price could now be as high as $2500.. Something to do with an intercooler on my transmission that he didn't know about?

Basically he said it's going to involve a lot more labor than he originally thought.

Hopefully this doesn't take too long I've been without a car for two weeks I'm going crazy!

260k and I'm on my 3rd. first two were the dual mass flywheel. 3rd replaced with a single mass from an 07. best move ever.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Are you upgrading your car to stage 2 or beyond?

I'd say you probably just want an OEM WRX single mass flywheel and a Clutchmasters FX200 or FX300. The ACT HDSS is also a nice clutch, but more expensive.

You may need a TSK3 sleeve and throwout bearing if the quill is damaged. Thoroughly inspect the clutch fork and pivot ball.

In any case, you absolutely will need a new flywheel. The OEM dual mass cannot be resurfaced (and if you do, it will likely break soon if it hasn't already).

What do you guys think the shop was planning on doing? Just replacing with oem everything? I'll definitely look into and ask about a wrx flywheel when I call back.

I was looking at the spec stage 1 clutch it seems pretty cheap at around $500. There's also the act clutch kit with flywheel. Any opinions on those?

Eventually I plan on getting an accessport, and I'll most likely get a cold air intake, sti up pipe and maybe an exhaust along with a pro tune. That's really all I'm planning in the future.

OEM (Exedy FJK1001FW kit) ~$550 on Amazon + ~$500 labor isnt bad

The issue is you have a choice to stay DMFW or convert to SMFW. I would convert to SMFW no need to speed extra money on performance clutch packs IF you have no additions in the in the future, the stock clutch will handle a stage 1 or 2 additions.

NO clutch can handle poor footwork :lol: So mileage is dependent on that factor mostly.

Get OEM single mass flywheel. Don't get a lightweight - there's just no need for it unless because racecar is your goal.

If you get the single mass WRX flywheel, remember you need a 5 MT WRX fitment clutch kit as well!

The Exedy kit (WRX) and an OEM single mass should work well.

Yes get a 07-09 Legacy GT FW or the 06 WRX.

Get a Spec 1. I'm a big fan of Spec 2 and 2+. Currently love my Spec 2 in my wagon.

Do not put a OEM clutch back in the car.

X2 for the pivot ball and grease the tranny snout so the TOB slides nicely. Also the pilot bearing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes get a 07-09 Legacy GT FW or the 06 WRX.

Get a Spec 1. I'm a big fan of Spec 2 and 2+. Currently love my Spec 2 in my wagon.

Do not put a OEM clutch back in the car.

X2 for the pivot ball and grease the tranny snout so the TOB slides nicely. Also the pilot bearing.

I was looking around online and found these two websites for a clutch and flywheel.

Spec stage 1 Clutch

Wrx Flywheel

I plan on seeing a friend of mine today who works as a mechanic at a shop down the road from me. I am really hoping he will be able to install my own parts. I know how some garages don't like doing that.

Thanks for all this info everyone I know a lot more than I did when my clutch first broke. I don't want to sound like an idiot when I go in haha.

On a side note, get the catless uppipe (sti or otherwise) and a catted downpipe and tune. The catback is merely a sound preference at that power level. No significant restriction on the stocker at that power level. Do *not* get a cold air intake until you are well past stage 3 (upgraded turbo and supporting mods). The stock intake is a cold air intake already and it flows great. An aftermarket cai is unnecessary and difficult to tune for. Absolutely must get a tune if you change out the cai though. Enjoy!

On topic: Stay away from the FX350. FX300 is a better choice. The Spec clutch is probably a good choice too. SMFW all the way, no need for a lightweight flywheel.

Do you have a good Subaru shop or are you using random joe blow? I promise some of the local CT members can recommend a good mod-friendly shop. I can tell you where to go in MA, but I assume you don't want to go that far. Just put out the call here in this thread and they will post.

On a side note, get the catless uppipe (sti or otherwise) and a catted downpipe and tune. The catback is merely a sound preference at that power level. No significant restriction on the stocker at that power level. Do *not* get a cold air intake until you are well past stage 3 (upgraded turbo and supporting mods). The stock intake is a cold air intake already and it flows great. An aftermarket cai is unnecessary and difficult to tune for. Absolutely must get a tune if you change out the cai though. Enjoy!

On topic: Stay away from the FX350. FX300 is a better choice. The Spec clutch is probably a good choice too. SMFW all the way, no need for a lightweight flywheel.

I was planning on getting a downpipe as well. And the only reason I would like to get a catback is to change the sound haha. My stock exhaust is killing me:lol: I was thinking of just replacing the mufflers but I'm not too sure I'll figure all that out in the future. I've heard that about a cold air too so I may just hold out on that.

Anyways I recently found this clutch kit and it comes with a flywheel. It would also be cheaper than purchasing the wrx flywheel and spec clutch together.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-721/Competition-Clutch-Performance-Clutch/Detail

Anyone know anything about that?

Do you have a good Subaru shop or are you using random joe blow? I promise some of the local CT members can recommend a good mod-friendly shop. I can tell you where to go in MA, but I assume you don't want to go that far. Just put out the call here in this thread and they will post.

Honestly. I don't have any particular place in mind as I do not know a lot of shops around me.

That would be amazing if people could recommend me places around new london/groton.

I'm not trying to go too far as my car is not even drive-able at the moment. I will have to get it towed to wherever the job is done.

Max Capacity recommends Tuning Alliance as his tuner of choice. Not sure where that is in relation to Groton or whether they just handle tuning or if they install hard parts too. Couldn't hurt to Google them and see what they're about. That's the extent of my knowledge in CT. C'mon CT members, help this guy out with a good shop.

Max Capacity recommends Tuning Alliance as his tuner of choice. Not sure where that is in relation to Groton or whether they just handle tuning or if they install hard parts too. Couldn't hurt to Google them and see what they're about. That's the extent of my knowledge in CT. C'mon CT members, help this guy out with a good shop.

That looks like about an hour fifteen away. Not sure how much towing would cost to all the way out there. It may not be worth it.

There is a place about fifteen minutes away called Swift Permormance but after browsing their website it does not look like they carry the clutch or flywheel I need. Maybe I'll call them later and see if they would install the other clutch/flywheel if I provide it.

But yeah if anyone has any other suggestions that'd be great haha.

Performance shops usually will install customer-supplied equipment. They typically have a higher labor rate than the "average Joe" shop. I've also found the performance shops usually charge about the same price for parts you can buy online.

Performance shops usually will install customer-supplied equipment. They typically have a higher labor rate than the "average Joe" shop. I've also found the performance shops usually charge about the same price for parts you can buy online.

I actually called Swift and they estimated it to cost around $1400 maybe more. I might go there in person and talk to someone.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick update everyone.

I finally got my car towed to a shop near me yesterday. I was recommended this place by a few different shops and a friend of mine.

Anyways, they called this morning and told me the price could now be as high as $2500.. Something to do with an intercooler on my transmission that he didn't know about?

Basically he said it's going to involve a lot more labor than he originally thought.

Hopefully this doesn't take too long I've been without a car for two weeks I'm going crazy!

Unless there is a tmic replacement, the TMIC comes off in about 5 minutes.

Is your TMIC stock ? If so its easy to work with.

$1400 is normal for these cars with parts. $2500 is not. There's something wrong with that quote.

Link him to the DIY clutch replacement video in the sticky at the top of the tranny and clutch forum. They can be replaced without taking the tranny out of the car.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-clutch-replacement-video-126975.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Unless there is a tmic replacement, the TMIC comes off in about 5 minutes.

Is your TMIC stock ? If so its easy to work with.

$1400 is normal for these cars with parts. $2500 is not. There's something wrong with that quote.

Link him to the DIY clutch replacement video in the sticky at the top of the tranny and clutch forum. They can be replaced without taking the tranny out of the car.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-clutch-replacement-video-126975.html

Everything in my car is stock. This guy told me he knew a lot about Subarus and then was surprised when I had an intercooler. He told me they normally don't.

They told me they were dropping my tranny today to check everything out so it's probably too late for me to change my mind..

I know there are plenty of places around CT that specialize in Subarus like EFI for example, the only problem is towing costs. That is why I chose this place. It is only five miles from my house.

get AAA with the 100 mile package. it'll pay for itself immediately and you can tow that bastard to hell and back for the rest of the year if you want. or you shoulda at least been able to limp it... i mean... unless you completely destroyed it.
i can put anything i want down here?!

and it's not too late to tell them to stop... especially if you're at some shop quoting you over two grand for an effing clutch. i mean, you say the towing cost is a factor, but if it's $1000 less to do it somewhere else (that knows what they're doing) how is that even an issue? use your damn head, op.
i can put anything i want down here?!

Archived