LegacyGT.com

Ultimate workshop tools list

Ok so if you had the option to get whatever tools you wanted to kit out your car workshop for all DIY jobs you would possibly need to do on your legacy, Approximate workshop size of 5m x 5m

List i have so far:

3.5 Tonne scissors lift

Air compressor

Air gun attachment with popular attachments for bolt removal, plastic trimming etc

Torque wrench

Oil drain funnel catchment tank

Gearbox cradle

Hand tool set( socket sets etc)

Engine hoist(not sure if needed)

10 tonne hydraulic press

Steel/metal work bench

Work gloves

portable wireless lighting/ hand torches

Anything else you would ask for?

• Moderators
If you don't already have a compressor, I would recommend a quality electric impact gun and a smaller compressor. You'll still want air for a couple of things but no need to spend a bunch of dough on a big compressor if you don't already have one.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If you don't already have a compressor, I would recommend a quality electric impact gun and a smaller compressor. You'll still want air for a couple of things but no need to spend a bunch of dough on a big compressor if you don't already have one.

I guess you haven't used a air cut off wheel. I use my right angle more then I use the straight cut off tool. A good compressor will pay for itself over time.

Spend some good money up front, you'll have a great compressor forever.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Bare minimum for a compressor is 5 SCFM @ 90psi

Please read the labels. If you're not careful you'll buy into one that reads 6 SCFM @ 40 PSI then find out it's not cutting it at all (just not enough power-yes it runs a cutoff wheel but put pressure on the cutoff wheel and watch it grind to a halt or take an hour longer to cut) then later the small print says 3.8 SCFM at 90 PSI (Ooops).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Plan on spending at least around $300 for a ok compressor

Also I like having at least two good floor jacks, at least 4 or 8 jack stands.

My wagon will be going back on the 12ton jack stands this weekend so I can pull the tranny again.

A 24" long 1/2" breaker bar is nice too.

3/8" flex head ratchet

1/2" flex head ratchet

5lb hammer

pry bars

cut off tools

5 or 6" bench vise

nice strong work bench

spare nut's and bolts and washers

grease gun

suction gun

ratchet box end wrenches

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

4k, get a $600 compressor and have it wired in.

It will drive any air tool on any nut.

Do you guy's have store's over there like Sears, Harbor Fright, hey Tractor Supply has some nice stuff too.

Probably manufacturers of tools will vary over here, Name me some good brands of tools you guys would recommend and ill see what we can get. Snap on stuff i hear is good but pricey. Electricians here use a lot of Facom tools which i believe is German. To keep it easy and under the radar, most stuff will need to be bought direct from local tool wholesalers. It will be a fun little workshop to have when done! I have so many little jobs to do on my legacy! Sucks living in an apartment!

For an "ultimate" workshop, I'd skip the scissor lift and go for a post/column lift. Uses more room but you also get much more room under the car. That list is pretty generic, so I'd say add a welder and other pneumatic tools(die and angle grinder/cutter,1/2" and 1" impact, etc.)

Since you have a metal workbench, I'd look into equipment for fabrication too(at least a drill press and band saw, but it would be nice to have a milling machine, lathe, and different saws).

restricted on space so scissors lift is the only option they will let us install( health and safety bullshit! Also no hot works allowed so no welding or grinding gear allowed :(

Think i have a pretty good idea now guys, thanks for all the suggestions so far

• Moderators
For an "ultimate" workshop, I'd skip the scissor lift and go for a post/column lift. Uses more room but you also get much more room under the car. That list is pretty generic, so I'd say add a welder and other pneumatic tools(die and angle grinder/cutter,1/2" and 1" impact, etc.)

Since you have a metal workbench, I'd look into equipment for fabrication too(at least a drill press and band saw, but it would be nice to have a milling machine, lathe, and different saws).

Is there a real purpose for a 1" impact if you are working on passenger vehicles? I'm pretty sure my IR electric impact would take the wheels off a tractor anyway, just don't see the point in having something as bulky as a 1" impact along with the cost of all the sockets, extensions, etc.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

(Diesel)trucks count as passenger vehicles, right? :p

Though, they're useful on crank bolts(mainly on Hondas). First Honda I had to take apart: Killed my electric(NT corded) on one and went to a couple of shops where their 1/2" impacts couldn't get it off either(even with the air pressure turned up), except for my brother-in-law who happened to have a IR "Titanium" impact wrench at their shop(their other 1/2s didn't work). A cheap 1" was able to take it off quite easily. Plus, it's ULTIMATE!

Currently, for anything with a heavy torque or just hard to get off I just take it to work with me if possible and just use their tools(we build tractors btw: Caterpillar). On the product we're working on, I doubt a (lower end)Snap-On electric impact will take our wheel bolts off(IIRC, they're torqued at over 500ft-lb, maybe even more now...we have a crane that holds the DC torque wrench). I haven't used any of their higher end cordless(the ones that are like $500), but that would be pretty cool if they do better than their pneumatic counterparts...even less bulk!

If you live in the "RUST BELT" #1 tool is a Oxyacetylene Kit. When all else fails. This will remove any part.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/professional-tote-Oxygen-Acetylene-oxy-Welding-Cutting-Torch-Kit-Victor-w-tank-/00/s/Nzc5WDcwNA==/z/BC4AAMXQH6BREp0T/$%28KGrHqN,%21q8FDvI,U-EpBREp0TdN7g~~60_35.JPG

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Probably manufacturers of tools will vary over here, Name me some good brands of tools you guys would recommend and ill see what we can get. Snap on stuff i hear is good but pricey. Electricians here use a lot of Facom tools which i believe is German. To keep it easy and under the radar, most stuff will need to be bought direct from local tool wholesalers. It will be a fun little workshop to have when done! I have so many little jobs to do on my legacy! Sucks living in an apartment!

Look up, Northern Tools. They have good info and air tools. Some of the Ingersol Rand impacts work well.

When my 3/4" impact won't get the job done, I put a 4ft piece of 1.5" water pipe on my 1/2" breaker bar.

Here's my man cave

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5240_zps987bd41b.jpg

I check my Northern tools catalog next to the couch last night. They have a nice tan color IR compressor for about $530.00 I think it had 5.2cfm at 90psi. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_air-compressors+single-stage-electric-air-compressors+2-9-cfm

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_air-tools+air-impact-wrenches

Archived