LegacyGT.com

Is Big O Tires giving BS

coarsegoldkid

I punctured a tire on my '05 OB LLB yesterday. This set has 10K miles. The manager at Big O says that when a Subaru has this situation it must have all four tires replaced or there will be damage to the transmission or differential. What kind of crap is this?

The tires must be within approx 1/32" tread depth to avoid wear on the differentials. So it's true, but depends on the wear. If they can show you the current tread depth being less than a new one by more than 1/32", then you might consider one new and get it shaved down (though this appears to be a difficult service to find).

Contact your Subaru dealer for other suggestions.

The owners manual states to replace tires of same, MFG, Size, tread wear or damage will result to drive train. What is does not state is a tolerance. New BS Potenza tires are reported to be 10/32. Mine are 7/32. The difference between my tire with 10K miles on it and a new one is 3/32. This would be out of the range you state. Is there an official service note on this?

The owners manual states to replace tires of same, MFG, Size, tread wear or damage will result to drive train. What is does not state is a tolerance. New BS Potenza tires are reported to be 10/32. Mine are 7/32. The difference between my tire with 10K miles on it and a new one is 3/32. This would be out of the range you state. Is there an official service note on this?

I have seen an official service note (from Subaru, perhaps in End Wrench), but I can't find it now. The service note doesn't state 1/32", as I recall, it was something like 0.25" circumference --> when you apply 2 * pi * r, it's easier for most people to remember 1/32".

Yep, all tires within 1/4" circumference (which is very close to 1/32" tread depth as posted) - it's in your owner's manual. Get the new tire shaved or buy a complete set...

Thank the tire store manager the next time you talk to him, ignoring this requirement can be expensive.

from what i know. tires should be similar on each axle. thats why on rwd or fwd cars you can replace by the axle, 2 tires at a time.

but since theres a center differential on awd cars, all 4 have to be about the same, otherwise there is extra stress on the center differential

correct me if i'm wrong. this is my first awd car and i've only had it for 5 months or so.

car for sale. PM me!

Oh please that's bull.... If you only have 10,000k on a set of 4 tires, they are evenly worn and in relatively good condition, if one goes there is no reason why you have to replace all 4 on an awd car. You can get away with replacing the one. It would be even better to replace them in pairs such as two new ones for the rear verses the front.

I have owned a couple awd drive vehicles, including a previous subaru and I have had to do that in the past with no problems.

My suggestion for future, (remember here in Australia we get 5 alloys, not a steel or space savers spare), use the spare and rotate it in the mix at regular intervals, so that none of the tyres have a lot more wear than any other.

When you kill one you still have 4 tyres of similar wear. No need to replace all 4.

This does mean though you have to buy 5 new ones when the time comes, but better than having to fork out for 4 new ones when you kill just one.

Tim

All good responses. Here is what I discovered. Bridgestone says wear differences between tires on AWD and 4wd can cause damage to the drive train. Subaru says the rolling circumference between tires should not be greater than 0.25 inches. C=2*Pi*r. So my tires need to be replaced. All of them.:redface: But wait the Tire Rack shaves tires. ;) I bought one from them to shave the tread down to a depth of 0.220 or 7/32 of an inch to match the one that was not repairable. It will be shipped to Big O and they will mount and balance. Shaving will cost me 25 dollars bringing the total to 158 plus $20 M&B. lots cheaper than 4 new ones. :)

Seriously consider rotating your spare onto the mix regularly so all 5 tyres wear at around the same rate. When you get a flat, you have the perfect spare for the job.

When you replace all 5 tyres at the next purchase, keep the best of the 5 coming off the car as a spare for your spare. If you do get a non repairable flat, you can then mount the old tyre and use it as a spare only.

Tim

We get the full sized alloy (not sure why, but I am not complaining)

I though you guys only got the space saver. what about buying the next set of OEMs that come up for sale and share them with three others on here?

Much cheaper than buying 4 tyres.

Tim

Tim

If you have an automatic tranny, you can put the spare on the front and put in the FWD fuse. Front has open diff, so won't bind up.

Of course, that's a pain if your flat's in the rear and you need to take extra steps to rotate the tires.

And, if you have a manual tranny, would probably still be better to have the spare in the front, but would still wear/bind the center diff.

• 3 years later...

I just got through replacing a transmission on a car that had two tires replaced instead of 4 :-(

It tore itself to pieces inside. Can't say if it was really caused by the tire but they definitely did not have the same wear front and rear.

All good responses. Here is what I discovered. Bridgestone says wear differences between tires on AWD and 4wd can cause damage to the drive train. Subaru says the rolling circumference between tires should not be greater than 0.25 inches. C=2*Pi*r. So my tires need to be replaced. All of them.:redface: But wait the Tire Rack shaves tires. ;) I bought one from them to shave the tread down to a depth of 0.220 or 7/32 of an inch to match the one that was not repairable. It will be shipped to Big O and they will mount and balance. Shaving will cost me 25 dollars bringing the total to 158 plus $20 M&B. lots cheaper than 4 new ones. :)

This is great info and deserves a sticky!

Archived