LegacyGT.com

Shifter Surround or Bezel Gap: READ THIS

After many posts in various other threads, LGT members have finally found a solution to the gap on the right side of the shifter surround/bezel.

After many attempts we now have a part number that the dealer can reference AND that actually fixes the problem. :lol: It's P/N 66073AG08AWA for Taupe and 66073AG08AJC for Black, which is in the first picture below. Previously people had been replacing just the actual shifter surround or bezel and the problem would come right back. :( The gap is identitfied in the second and thrid picture. If your dealer has any doubts, have them contact the below dealers who have now fixed this problem with the above P/N. It's a PIA to replace supposedly so they may balk at first. GOOD LUCK! Please post if you have had or have this problem. Thanks! :D

Dealers:

Reynold's Subaru in Lyme, CT: 1-800-899-0028

Subaru of Schaumburg: 1-847-884-6000

Side1.JPG.18ec523ca4800f592ca78dbba1d567aa.JPG

Shift1.JPG.24e8a096a84a50609c3c0fa9565f022f.JPG

Right.JPG.a7171b5635c465c7291fca2f47794119.JPG

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car had this problem since day 1, and never had an STS or Sub installed so there was no reason for the piece to have ever been taken off. My guess is there was a bad batch of these pieces made and then installed into new cars.

Mine was replaced with this part at Reynold's Subaru and has been fine since.

-Sean

Thanks guys but don't thank me, thank Reynold's Subaru, they actually took the time to figure out what was causing the gap. I have a feeling my old dealership would have just told me "they all look like that", lol.

Someone stickie this!!!!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! THE STICKY IS HERE! :lol::D

Sooooo glad this is helping everyone. :) If there are any problems with the new part for any of you, please let us all know. So far so good. Those who got it fixed have said it's as clean and tight as they could ask for. I will be heading in myself early next week (just have to hit my free oil change mileage so I can do it all at once :) ) and hopefully will have another success story to share! :D

EDIT:

IMPORTANT: The part number for the grey/black interior folks among us: 66073AG08AJC

I made sure to add this to the first post also! Thanks for the info! :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Add Carter Subaru in Seattle, WA to the list. They just ordered the part after I showed them a pic and gave the dealers listed above. It's coming from CT so it'll be here in a week. :) At least I didn't even have to leave my car with them!!! :D Just walked in and talked to the same guy I've been dealing with and he ordered it "part unseen". He looked it up and verified it was the part that the bezel piece sits on and said, "Let's give it a shot cause we haven't been able to fix it the way we thought it should be fixed. Let's try this and see!" :lol:

Well, I wish I could report success with my local dealership. I called last week and had them order in the part and schedule a visit to apply the fix. Well, the car was there all day today and all they managed to do was place a few shims under the screws and scratch the hell out of my shifter bezel. So, armed with this thread, I talked to the service supervisor and asked if they could actually fix it correctly. He then called in the mechanic who, uh, 'fixed' the problem. The mechanic seemed a little confused as to how the part could fix the problem. Now, I'm not an engineer, or even a mechanic, but it seems to me that the part that the bezel attaches to could actually affect how it lines up. So, with much grumbling, the mechanic agreed to do the fix. But he acted like he was doing me some sort of favor. The car will be done tonight, and hopefully fixed.

John

^ Sorry to hear that. :( I'm a little confused on what they did though. They ordered the new part listed above when you called last week but decided to put shims under the screws instead of pulling it apart and actually replacing the correct part? More info? :) At least you're on the right track! :D Keep us all updated!

Now, I'm not an engineer, or even a mechanic, but it seems to me that the part that the bezel attaches to could actually affect how it lines up.

:lol: Nice one...

^ Sorry to hear that. :( I'm a little confused on what they did though. They ordered the new part listed above when you called last week but decided to put shims under the screws instead of pulling it apart and actually replacing the correct part? More info? :) At least you're on the right track! :D Keep us all updated!

Yeah, they ordered the part, then decided it wouldn't fix the problem. Of course, the mechanic argued with me that you can't believe everything on the internet. So, the second time around they replaced the part and everything lines up fine now. Of course (and this is where it gets good), not only did they scratch the hell out of my shifter surround, they managed to scratch the hell out of the new part when they installed it. So, they're now replacing both parts. Well, they're ordering both parts. I'll be replacing them.

And people wonder why I don't trust other people to work on my cars.

John

Yeah, they ordered the part, then decided it wouldn't fix the problem. Of course, the mechanic argued with me that you can't believe everything on the internet. So, the second time around they replaced the part and everything lines up fine now. Of course (and this is where it gets good), not only did they scratch the hell out of my shifter surround, they managed to scratch the hell out of the new part when they installed it. So, they're now replacing both parts. Well, they're ordering both parts. I'll be replacing them.

And people wonder why I don't trust other people to work on my cars.

John

Wow... just wow. :icon_surp So you can't believe everything you hear online, even when it's PROVEN to work at other DOCUMENTED dealers when NOTHING else has worked. :lol: I wish you luck replacing it on your own. I hear it's a b*tch so that's why the dealers push back on it... which of course was the reason to post this so this so other dealers could see that it's been done and worked. :icon_tong Jeez, how do some of these guys actually run a service dept.? :confused:

spicish22: Gotta ask... where's the av comes from? :D

Wow... just wow. :icon_surp So you can't believe everything you hear online, even when it's PROVEN to work at other DOCUMENTED dealers when NOTHING else has worked. :lol: I wish you luck replacing it on your own. I hear it's a b*tch so that's why the dealers push back on it... which of course was the reason to post this so this so other dealers could see that it's been done and worked. :icon_tong Jeez, how do some of these guys actually run a service dept.? :confused:

Well, I was wrong, they didn't break the new part when they installed it. They did manged to not install it properly, so there's a lip at the left hand edge of the glovebox. The mechanic didn't bother to remove the under-dash stuff and tuck the part under. It's just laying on top. So, when the car goes back next week for the bezel, I'll be sure to have them fix their install.

Must....resisit....urge....to....firebomb....dealership.......

John

I too had this gap in the bezel, however when I installed the cobb sts, I realigned the bezel when putting it back together and it has been perfect ever since.:iam:
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I am going to take mine in tomorrow after work for them to take a look at it. I have had this console gap since the car was new.

Hopefully ... they can just order me a new part and new surround and it will be fixed....

I also have a problem with the passenger side rear door panel..... the fabric keeps folding up over the arm rest....

IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.5f29b0f81d651a2a9a215e4c1d2f6c77.JPG

IMG_0325.thumb.JPG.964df49b27925dea4e4f4922be80ac5f.JPG

I also have a problem with the passenger side rear door panel..... the fabric keeps folding up over the arm rest....

Mine does the same thing. Thanks for reminding me about it....

Speaking of the Bezel fix, the car was at the dealership yesterday to get the scratch parts replaced, and to have the 'fix' installed properly. Well, they did half of the job...and didn't bother to 'fix' the misinstalled part. I think the service writer thought I was about to go ballastic, and they managed to get it into a bay and repaired in 20 minutes. When it was all done, I get back into the car to check it out; and you could tell the tech had used a screwdriver to pop out the pop-screws under the glove box. He left his screwdriver in the car, and the pop-outs looked very assaulted.

John