LegacyGT.com

A mod that only 2.5i folks will care about...

So I have really enjoyed doing a really slow build on my 2.5i, chosing instead to spend my time driving it and putting my money into building my E30 track car.

All that I have done so far has been intended to improve something that I thought was lacking in the 2.5i- not to try to make it something that it is not.

I tinted the windows, added a Pioneer HU with USB input, upgraded my speakers and added a small powered underseat sub, installed OEM fogs with yellow bulbs, upgraded to DDM 5000K 55W HIDs, installed LGT struts with Tein H-tech front springs (stock LGT rears) and the RSB from an LGT. I did buy a set of dedicated track wheels and tires, but have otherwise kept the car pretty much stock. Everything I did has had a direct benefit for the way that I use the car.

The one thing that has ALWAYS bugged me about the 2.5i is the cheesy vinyl steering wheel. I could not justify the 2.5i Limited, and I had some issues with my trade value that prevented me from buying the GT that I really wanted, but in the end, adding a leather steering wheel from a Limited or LGT was high on the list of desired mods.

About 2 weeks ago, I finally received a used leather wheel (complete with audio controls), but was too busy to actually get it installed. Also, I was pretty nervous about tearing apart the wheell to do the install, but it was way less difflcult than I had thought it would be.

It took about 45 miutes to do, but yesterday I finally got it installed. I do need to pull it and rotate the wheel by one tooth (it is slightly off-center when tracking straight), but I am amazed at how much nicer the car feels with a leather steering wheel versus the crappy plastic/vinyl one that the 2.5i comes with from the factory.

If Subaru realized how much nicer the "feel" of the interior is with the leather wheel, I think that they might have gone leather throughout the lineup. I know that it may be a marketing strategy to move people up into a Limited, but I would have paid $200-300 more for the "Special Edition" package that I bought if it had included the leather wheel along side of the sunroof and power driver's seat.

I hope to do a writeup on the install, but it was pretty intuitive, and it really followed the exact same removal and install process as is recommended in the >07 audio control install threads in the DIY section. As for the audio controls, I removed and sold them to offset the cost of the wheel. With the Pioneer HU, the integration process for the audio controls would not have been worth the time/materials cost(s).

Stock wheel:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/SteeringWheel009.jpg

Side-by-side:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/SteeringWheel015.jpg

Cruise controls and blank panel switched over:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/SteeringWheel017.jpg

Leather wheel, installed:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/SteeringWheel018.jpg

I also got around to installing my Kartboy STS yesterday. Pic of that (installed) with my Momo RaceAir Leather:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/SteeringWheel019.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks good! Id like to get mine wrapped in suede!

As pimp as suede would feel on a daily basis, I have been told by a couple of interior guys that a suede steering wheel is not the best for durability.

I am sure that there are some grades of suede that would hold up, but when I was researching materials for my track car, 2 different interior guys recommended leather over suede for re-covering the steering wheel in my E30.

Nice mod how did you negotiate the airbag"?? I want to add audio controls to my wheel and it pretty cheap to order the control module that attached to the left part of the wheel.

i might assume it would be same as attaching an aftermarket wheel?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881734

maybe, not sure though

edit: OP, looks good! i like your shift knob

Nice mod how did you negotiate the airbag"?? I want to add audio controls to my wheel and it pretty cheap to order the control module that attached to the left part of the wheel.

I followed the instructions for the >07 wheel removal.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-steering-wheel-radio-controls-26232.html

The first 5 or 6 posts.

I followed it and found it to be accurate for the 08s as well.

I took pics of my process and will post them in the next day or so.

The plastic wheel and knob were gone the first week I bought the 2.5i. :D

I swapped the shift knob the day I got it (that Momo knob has a LOOOOONG history for me, as my wife bought it for me a long time ago, when we weren't married and had no money to spend on extras like that).

Did you buy a leather wheel new or used?

To me the steering wheel and shift knob were extremely out of place in the Legacy.

My wheel came from a basically brand new WRX, but for some reason it was either slightly off to the left or to the right on the steering column so I had to play with the tie rods a bit to get the car to go straight again.

I dont get why Subaru gives you such a sucky interior for your N/A models.

It probably costs the same to produce a console for a GT as a 2.5i, and by just producing 1 they might even save some money..

In Norway they kinda turned the whole thing upside down. We get good interior in our N/A 2.0's, but can't even order a GT from the dealership... :p

To me the steering wheel and shift knob were extremely out of place in the Legacy.

My wheel came from a basically brand new WRX, but for some reason it was either slightly off to the left or to the right on the steering column so I had to play with the tie rods a bit to get the car to go straight again.

Thats what I have read. The leather wheel can be difficult to get aligned straight there has to be some way to common mark the splines to ensure you have a straight wheel I would hope.

If I get my hands on a leather wheel i will def follow suit to match my LGT shift knob :)

just a thing to note, the audio controls only work on 6-cd changer models. It is stated in the forum somewhere, because i wanted to purchase them. The SE models only have single disk players so its a no go for us.

Yeah I remember seeing that and I bought a 6 CD stock head unit at a auto salvage Expo in Richmond Va about 3 months ago I havent swapped bc I was hoping a SAT radio module and wheel controlls would com up for sale used :eek:

Agreed on the leather wheel - but my 2.5i came with it stock, is that a Canada only thing? Or for 2009 models?

Steve C.

2009 Legacy 2.5i Wagon

Touring Package

Satin White Pearl

I noticed you said you put LGT struts in..... I hope you didn't buy new struts or springs, 2.5i and LGT suspension are the same!

Seeing as how we are commenting on it Im sure its too late :lol::lol:

I bet those LGT springs are the shit!!!!

The only thing that I would add would be audio controls in the wheel

As mentioned above, they don't work with the single-CD radio, and though PAC makes an adapter that will make them work with my Pioneer HU, it did not seem worth the cost and trouble.

I noticed you said you put LGT struts in..... I hope you didn't buy new struts or springs, 2.5i and LGT suspension are the same!

Springs are the same but struts have different P/Ns. Mixed reports on front springs being different. Rears are definately identical.

I have GT struts (bought cheap/used, with all mounts and tophats). Went with Tein H-tech springs in front to level the stance. GT RSB "upgrade" as well.

Yeah I remember seeing that and I bought a 6 CD stock head unit at a auto salvage Expo in Richmond Va about 3 months ago I havent swapped bc I was hoping a SAT radio module and wheel controlls would com up for sale used :eek:

The radio controls would be for a LGT UNIT !!!!!!!:mad:

Archived