LegacyGT.com

2.5i runs out of gas at 1/4 tank, overflows when filling!

So, I was driving across Kansas to Colorado in 100 degree weather. About 100 miles from Denver, my '05 2.5i 5MT Legacy wagon started to stutter like it was running out of gas. We had only driven about 250 miles since filling up and the gauge showed just over 1/4 tank. We slowed down gradually as the car lost power and I parked it on the shoulder of I-70. I tried releasing the gas cap thinking vapor-lock with no success. I called AAA and they arrived 1 hour later with about 4 gallons of gas. Before putting the gas in, I unsuccessfully tried starting it (to eliminate the cool-down variable). We added 4 gallons of gas and it started right up! I haven't let it get much below 1/2 tank since then and I don't plan to until I have repaired something.

My original thoughts on the road were;

-Broken lower fuel pump (ruled out by there being

only one fuel pump)

-Dirty lower fuel pickup screen (ruled out by there being only a single pickup in the single fuel pump)

The next few fill-ups revealed something more. The other fuel-related problem I am having is that 4 times on that trip, and the last time at a pump I use regularly, the fuel has overflowed out of the filler after the pump has clicked off. I have even tried inserting the nozzle as far in as possible. The two problems must be connected.

Now I'm thinking;

There must be a problem with some valve in the evap. system.

Can anybody shed some light on what could be going on? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

there is usually a vent tube running next to the filler neck. it vents the vapors from the tank while the gas is pumped in. if this is plocked for any reason the4 gas will gurgel in. im not sure how that would be realted to running out of gas.

for running out you say you had about 250 miles on a full tank w/highway driving?

regaurdless if it does have 43K. You have a warrenty until 60K. This should be covered in it. Might want to shoot opie a email and ask him if something like this is covered before you take it in and haev to pay out the 90 something bucks. But you would think that this would be covered. ????

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

In case you didn't understand, "Vacation Pix" is code for something else. Use the search and all will be revealed.

I don't know where I found my avatar pic, it was an ad for a t-shirt. It cracked me up and I immediately thought it would be a great avatar. Disgusting but completely work safe (I think)

In case you didn't understand, "Vacation Pix" is code for something else. Use the search and all will be revealed.

I don't know where I found my avatar pic, it was an ad for a t-shirt. It cracked me up and I immediately thought it would be a great avatar. Disgusting but completely work safe (I think)

Thanks, I figured from the rest of your post that "vacation pix" was a key phrase to use in a search. It just reminded me of the picture I had of us broken down on the side of the road.

The NSFW comment was related to the suggestion of pics of the AAA guy. I'll just go as far to say I'm glad it wasn't my wife all alone out there needing help.

Thanks again.

I seem to remember there being a venturi pump in the right side of the tank (operated by the fuel returning from the engine) to move fuel from that side over to the left side where the main pump is located. If that pump is plugged, it could be you do have 1/4 tank left but its not where the main fuel pump can reach it. There was a sub-fuel level sender on the left side that was discontinued in the later models. If you have one of these earlier models, it could be the ECU is reading this sub-level sender and reporting you still have gas left even though the left side of the tank is empty. Take a look at the pix and you'll see what I mean.

Archived