New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol::lol::lol:

I find that hysterically ironic. "you will rev, especially next to ricers at the stoplights"

You just unbolted your exhaust to make it louder with absolutely no performance gains at all what-so-ever....who's the ricer? :lol: at least the fart can on the honda made a few hp :lol:

You guys kill me :lol:

My turn to laugh, - horsepower gains, (whatever they may be), can be made through the use of a less restrictive exhaust system, so whether you go with expensive stainless steel cans or the Hogzaust, the resulting HP gains will be approximately the same.

^^Actually, when an aftermarket exhaust company makes claims about their exhaust system, 9 times out of 10 the gains are the result of revised engine tuning so that the engine can take advantage of the larger exhaust diameter. So that fart can on the back of the 91 civic does not add anything in terms of power.

I chose to hawgzaust my car for my personal pleasure and also to enhance my driving experience. Unlike honda engines and other inline 4 engines, ours have some great sounding exhaust and are often mistaken for larger V6 or V8 engines. I have been asked many times if I have a V8 under the hood or why does my car sound like a race car yet I do it for my own enjoyment. And on a second note, the stock exhaust is way too soft for me and it is easier for me to drive the car well when I can hear the exhaust. It lets me know when to upshift or downshift without looking at the tach. And I know I could have bought an aftermarket system but I don't think its worth it to spend $800+ for something that will yield little performance gains unless I upgrade my turbo.

My turn to laugh, - horsepower gains, (whatever they may be), can be made through the use of a less restrictive exhaust system, so whether you go with expensive stainless steel cans or the Hogzaust, the resulting HP gains will be approximately the same.

Yes and no. I believe you would gain no power by running, say, the HKS Hi-power exhaust since the diameter is the same. But by simple physics, if you are running a full 3" DP and a full 3" CB with 2.5" splits, there will be a noticeable power gain...in the case of the LGT, that will practicallly reach the limits of how much this turbo is capable of flowing. If you are comparing just doing the axleback portion of an exhaust, I agree completely. Axleback exhaust is no better than the Hogzaust, and you are really just paying close to $500 for a different look over the Hogzaust, with a slightly different sound. I personally enjoy my Hogzaust for that reason, because I dont want the look of aftermarket exhaust unless it's a full 3" system. Plus, my flange bolts had rusted anyways, and I had a buddy at a shop torch them out. With the current Hogzaust setup, installing a new catback will be much easier.

On the search for a new DD...

Again, you will not experience any significant power increase without an engine retune. You cannot just add a 3" exhaust and expect your ECU to automatically increase the boost just because of a decrease in back pressure. Your ECU is not just going to say, "hey, I sense an extra .5" in diameter and 2.16 in^2 of cross-sectional area so let me run some more boost, increase the A/F ratio, and advance valve timing so we can get more power." It requires a reflash. This is the same reason why running an aftermarket DP will not yield any significant gains unless you reflash.

Again, you will not experience any significant power increase without an engine retune. You cannot just add a 3" exhaust and expect your ECU to automatically increase the boost just because of a decrease in back pressure. Your ECU is not just going to say, "hey, I sense an extra .5" in diameter and 2.16 in^2 of cross-sectional area so let me run some more boost, increase the A/F ratio, and advance valve timing so we can get more power." It requires a reflash. This is the same reason why running an aftermarket DP will not yield any significant gains unless you reflash.

Agreed. It was an unstated assumption.

On the search for a new DD...

I guess I didn't need to mention I was Stage 2 at the time, but whatever. Even at 250/250 with AWD, I don't need mods to beat anything honda makes...

I'm sure an S2000 would give you a run for your money. At least, once VTec kicks in :lol:

^^Actually, when an aftermarket exhaust company makes claims about their exhaust system, 9 times out of 10 the gains are the result of revised engine tuning so that the engine can take advantage of the larger exhaust diameter. So that fart can on the back of the 91 civic does not add anything in terms of power.

True. And, depending on the model, IIRC, Hondas (especially the smaller engines) NEED some backpressure to scavenge properly.

Personal experience: our '82 Honda Civic Wagon with the "upgraded" 1.6l engine (63 or 68 hp?) + 5 speed. When the muffler rusted out just past the downpipe, it felt like half the power was gone. Mind you, it was never "fast", but it felt a little quick to a kid new to driving, and having only ever driven one other car: our sedate Dodge slant-six auto.

There's a big difference between N/A engin and F/I.

N/A need backpressure. That's why folks running Civic with stock 1.6L and a 3" catless exaust make more noise than they accelerate. It's like blowing 3" pipe with your mouth vs a 1". You won't be able to build pressure.

F/I need somme too, but mostly build by the Turbo.

Ok so I must say that I enjoyed the hogzaust on my 2.5i!!!

Unfortunately I can't say the same for my 3.0R. Its a completely different sound! I put the washers on last night (2 on each bolt) and it just sounds weird. It vaguely reminds me of a porsche wound out, but not quite. I think I may have to go full CBE to get any decent sound out of the motor.

Ok so I must say that I enjoyed the hogzaust on my 2.5i!!!

Unfortunately I can't say the same for my 3.0R. Its a completely different sound! I put the washers on last night (2 on each bolt) and it just sounds weird. It vaguely reminds me of a porsche wound out, but not quite. I think I may have to go full CBE to get any decent sound out of the motor.

That distinctive boxer sound comes mostly from an uel header on the 4 cylinder motors. I don't know specifically what type of exhaust layout the 6 has, - worth investigating though.

<snip>

Unfortunately I can't say the same for my 3.0R. Its a completely different sound! I put the washers on last night (2 on each bolt) and it just sounds weird. It vaguely reminds me of a Porsche wound out, but not quite.

Since they both are flat six cylinder boxer engines, it's logical that it should sound like a Porsche. Just so long as it doesn't sound like an air cooled Porsche 6 cylinder from the '60s. :lol:

You know Kurt, you don't have to be jealous. Anyone can do this awesome mod. It's OK, really. We don't mind the hurtful things you've said in the past. I forgive you. Embrace the inevitable.

That being said, Welcome Aboard.

Resistance is futile, we are the HOGZAUST......You will comply......Live long and prosper even if you don't......

Well.....I spent my $2.00 and gave it a shot, but a catted DP and Perrin mid and y pipes with stock mufflers and hogzaust just doesn't do it for me. I got too addicted to the Prodrives that I'd rather travel through winter with no noise at all. I think this mod is best served on a completely stock exhaust. It was a fun experiment but time to quiet it down.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/AILEBABER/SUBARU%202005%20LEGACY/CIMG1994.jpghttp://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/AILEBABER/SUBARU%202005%20LEGACY/CIMG1995.jpg Edited by BENCOB
Couple of photos of ours with 3 washers......

What if water get's into the exhaust? Will it mess up the car? rust the muffler?

Yes if water gets into the exhaust, it will drown your car, kinda like soap in the tmic......All kidding aside, hogmeat (if he already hasn't already done so somewhere in the 159 pages of this thread) can/will probably answer this......Peace