LegacyGT.com

How can i get rid of the rattle?

It seems every subaru i've had would develop this nasty rattle coming from the exhaust when you would lift off the engine and it is above 2k rpm. Anyone know how i can get rid of it, so whatever part is smashing against the engine does not get destroyed, but more so that i don't go insane listning to it.

THanks

Interesting, I was going to start a thread due to the same problem. When I am on the gas I don't hear a thing, but when I am coasting in gear at just about any rpm I get a rattle that kind of drives me a little crazy.

Is it common for it to be the heatshield over the exhaust system? I guess some tack-welds could have come loose?

I'd say its common for my 99 Forester did it ( heat shield actually broke so i hose clamped it tight) but the 08 Outback did it, now has about 14k miles and it stopped oddly enough, but the 09 Legacy has done it since day 1 (brand new). Wish Subaru would get their act together.

You can either tack weld them to the pipe, or remove them altogther.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Is it common for it to be the heatshield over the exhaust system? I guess some tack-welds could have come loose?
its a combo of things yes the spot welds do break , its also kinda a crappy design, and if your like me with a 3inch down and mid that doesn't help. I have yet to find the perfect solution but that definitely helps

You can either tack weld them to the pipe, or remove them altogther.
than whats there to stop the heat:spin:

than whats there to stop the heat:spin:

:lol: For those that actually think those do stop the heat.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...

I've been plagued by this rattle as well, but have concluded that it is in fact not at all related to the heat shield. Upon closer inspection, it appears as though there are two hangers attached to the transmission. When there is engine vibration, this is passed along into these two brackets that are then bolted to the exhaust. There are no bushings or anything of the sort (naturally, since they'd melt being right behind the catalytic converters) to eliminate the metal on metal vibration between the two brackets.

Has anyone else found this to be an issue? Any suggestions on how to eliminate the noise? I've considered tacking the two brackets together (tab from the exhaust pipes and individual brackets hanging off of the tranny) but alas, I don't own a mig or arc welder. Another thing I've considered is putting a flat washer or lock washer between the two pieces of metal before bolting it all back together, but didn't want to go through the effort of breaking the rusted bolts loose if its not going to work.

Thanks!

I've been plagued by this rattle as well, but have concluded that it is in fact not at all related to the heat shield. Upon closer inspection, it appears as though there are two hangers attached to the transmission. When there is engine vibration, this is passed along into these two brackets that are then bolted to the exhaust. There are no bushings or anything of the sort (naturally, since they'd melt being right behind the catalytic converters) to eliminate the metal on metal vibration between the two brackets.

Has anyone else found this to be an issue? Any suggestions on how to eliminate the noise? I've considered tacking the two brackets together (tab from the exhaust pipes and individual brackets hanging off of the tranny) but alas, I don't own a mig or arc welder. Another thing I've considered is putting a flat washer or lock washer between the two pieces of metal before bolting it all back together, but didn't want to go through the effort of breaking the rusted bolts loose if its not going to work.

Thanks!

Hmm.. this is interesting.. I was going to bump this thread as my rattling has gotten worse over the last week or so; I think you maybe onto something.

When I am in gear and coasting, I get the rattle. the gear that I am in does not matter, but in general, the faster I am moving the louder and more definite the rattle is. If I coast at say 45, it is loud, but if I go into nuetral and continue to coast, it is gone as soon as I get out of gear; if I go back into gear, the rattle is back. I guess I am kind of afraid that it is a transmission problem, but all of my gears shift normally with no issues at all; If I am on the gas, no rattle, and it is minimal when I brake, while in gear; I did have an ACT HD clutch and 06 wrx flywheel put in about 2,000 miles ago, but I never had much of any chatter or issues with that during the break in period.

So the exhaust pipe is actually bolted to brackets that are coming off of the tranny? I guess this would be the most probable cause. I think I will take a closer look at mine this coming weekend and hopefully have an update.

Interesting- my rattle is the same as described here. A header, UP, DP didn't fix the problem. Mid and Y pipe are next to install when they become available. It is either the exhaust or the LWFW installed with the clutch upgrade.

You could try folding up a piece of exhaust wrap fabric and placing that between the hanger of the up pipe and the transmission mount. I would love to have this annoyance removed. This makes the dash rattle fix look easy though...

Exhaust wrap would probably work perfectly! I can't understand for the life of me why Subaru thought it would be a good idea to do a solid mount from the transmission to the exhaust. There is just way too much vibration. Why wouldn't they figure out a way to isolate it with exhaust hanger bushings like every other car on the road? Does anyone have a small strip of exhaust wrap they'd be willing to sell/part with? I'd like to avoid buying a whole pack of it since I'll only be using a few inches.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
I am starting to think that mine is due to clutch chatter. The clutch feels fine though. It happens when my car is warmed up and I am coasting while in gear, when I am in neutral it does not make a sound. I dunno, the clutch is an ACT HD and 06 wrx flywheel, and it only has a few thousand miles on it.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so I replaced the mid and y pipes and removed the rear heat shield above the drive shaft near the rear diff. I wrapped the mid and y pipes for good measure. This cut the rattle down by 75%. I may go after some of the other heat shields when I have more time. Much more quiet now when I take my foot off the gas.

• 1 month later...

I've had it for about two weeks now. 5EAT w/ cobb catless UP and cobb catted DP. The rattle seems most noticeable at start up and goes away after driving it until warm, yet is still there after a 15 min drive.

Really thought that I had a connection for the UP/DP that was going loose on me, but havent checked yet. Reading this whole forum topic makes me wonder if anybody solved this yet? Last post being 10/7 I hope for the best.

The noise seems to be loudest between the two front wheels. With the hood open it sounds like its from the top of the DP.

Archived