LegacyGT.com

What to do?

COmtnBiker

I think its time to move on from the '05. Here is the dilemma: I want one of two cars either a '07 or newer spec b or a '09 or newer STI Hatch. What do you guys think? Id like to see what everyones opinions are between the two. And, yes, I know they are two very different cars before anyone feels the need to point it out. I want them both but, unfortunately, I only have enough room in the garage for one of them.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

I'll take a slightly different edge than most - I would recommend the STI just because it's made in Japan :).

The Spec B is my 5th Subie (between the wife and me). 3 of the 5 were built in Japan (2.5rs, WRX, and Forester). Those 3 racked up 250,000 miles between them with zero issues (even with Stage 2 mods on the WRX). The other 2 (a Baja and the SpecB) have had numerious trips to the dealer for minor but annoying warranty issues. In the end, even though the materials are nicer in the Legacy, I think the STI would have a better build quality and fewer problems in the long run.

My 2 cents, anyway.

If you find a good deal on an '09+ DGM hatch DON'T buy it. Instead PM me the details so I can get it. :lol:

Anyways, I'd go with the STi. Changing from one 4th-gen to another wouldn't be enough of a change for me.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

No issues. The car runs great! Its just time for something a little different. I also miss being able to really drive a car. The 5EAT is ok but its no manual.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

Having owned an 09 STi for three years, let me throw my $0.02 in.

It's an AMAZING car - nothing else in that price range comes close to what Subaru wrapped up in that package. I'm biased and a wagon lover, and the car was absolutely perfect for what I wanted it for. (And really, consider that that's going to be the most important thing in this decision... will the STi do what you want it to do.)

I commuted, hauled groceries, helped friends move, ice raced, did trackdays and AutoX, hauled my motorcycles, you name it. It did everything, and it did it well. Never had any problems.

The next Subaru I buy will be an STI. I've had 2 WRX's and 2 Legacy GT's - all were great, but there was just "something" missing from all of them.

I almost pulled the trigger on an 07 Limited STI locally - but the guy posted and it was gone quick!

We'll see, but my vote is STI. :)

- Ben

My $0.02? I'd probably go with the SpecB. I like the finish better. However, the STi comes with some really nice features. Brembo's, DCCD...

My plan is just to get a BBK on my GTB and eventually move it to an STi drive train. Half the fun for me is actually wrenching on the car and improving it :)

Wow. Those are all some really good comments! Now you can see why this decision is so hard for me. In a perfect world I would simply buy one of each. Seeing as the wife has the practical car ('03 Outback Sedan 3.0) it would be very easy for my to buy the "toy". The STI hatch is a very practical car too, right? Lots of cargo room and seating for five. That's what I'm telling her anyway. I'm not so sure she's buying it.

I haven't seen a thread in this forum on this yet, though I didn't look very hard admittedly. What are your thoughts on a '09+ WRX in lieu of the STI? Aside from the brakes, transmission, suspension and a couple other goodies they seem to be comparable. Keep in mind that I have no intentions to track this car. I just want to turn it into an even more fun to drive street car. I won't be going too crazy on the mods either. Ill probably just to a panel filter, TBE, tune and supporting mods.

If you find a good deal on an '09+ DGM hatch DON'T buy it. Instead PM me the details so I can get it. :lol:

Anyways, I'd go with the STi. Changing from one 4th-gen to another wouldn't be enough of a change for me.

What would you consider to be a good price? I'm looking for a red one, personally. If I see a nice DGM one I'll let you know if you'd like.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

Wow. Those are all some really good comments! Now you can see why this decision is so hard for me. In a perfect world I would simply buy one of each. Seeing as the wife has the practical car ('03 Outback Sedan 3.0) it would be very easy for my to buy the "toy". The STI hatch is a very practical car too, right? Lots of cargo room and seating for five. That's what I'm telling her anyway. I'm not so sure she's buying it.

I haven't seen a thread in this forum on this yet, though I didn't look very hard admittedly. What are your thoughts on a '09+ WRX in lieu of the STI? Aside from the brakes, transmission, suspension and a couple other goodies they seem to be comparable. Keep in mind that I have no intentions to track this car. I just want to turn it into an even more fun to drive street car. I won't be going too crazy on the mods either. Ill probably just to a panel filter, TBE, tune and supporting mods.

What would you consider to be a good price? I'm looking for a red one, personally. If I see a nice DGM one I'll let you know if you'd like.

If it wasn't for a change in fiscal priorities, I'd still be driving the STi. It's an incredibly practical car (as long as you don't put rear-facing car seats in the back) and serves perfectly fine as a weekend warrior AND a fun-to-drive street car. And here in CO, add a set of snow tires and the thing becomes an absolute BEAST in the winter time.

Archived