LegacyGT.com

Brake Light Stuck on in Dashboard

Anyone familiar with this and can point me to most likely issue? Earlier this year I had a full brake job (new bearings/rotors/pads/lines) so not sure if it's an electrical connection in the rear with the E-brake, or if it's more likely a connection up front, by the lever.

No indication the brake is actually engaged - just the light is on. Was on/off for about a week, now is on all the time.

Hoping it's a quick fix. Looking for suggestions on most likely cause.

Thanks!

The reservoir is sized so if an axle's pads run to min you get the brake light. However if you have worn both 50% (front and rear) it will come on. It's driven by low fluid level and just needs to be topped up.

But I'd check your pads while you're at it.

Considering that the pads were changed earlier this year it would be surprising to see that they have worn down already. One possibility is that there actually is a leak - or that the fluid wasn't changed and level checked when the job was done. Another alternative is that it wasn't refilled properly when the brake job was done and that the warning is premature.
453747.png

Considering that the pads were changed earlier this year it would be surprising to see that they have worn down already. One possibility is that there actually is a leak - or that the fluid wasn't changed and level checked when the job was done. Another alternative is that it wasn't refilled properly when the brake job was done and that the warning is premature.

Don't ASS-U-ME anything :)

Good stuff.

And it got me thinking - when the mechanic did the work for me in April, I provided the bare minimum amount of fluid to do the job, and he commented that the MC was just barely hitting the full mark.

So I'm wondering if it this was the case, it wouldn't take much to trigger the light.

This was my "homework assignment" when I picked the car up - but forgot about it until just now. I'll get some fluid ASAP and make sure it's at the proper level. If this is it, it's even easier than looking for a loose E-brake wire/connection!

I'll report back on what I find. Thanks!

Worn pads in a year can happen if there was contamination on the pad surface or if the piston is stuck, etc. etc.

Time isn't the measure. Typically distance is.

Quick update...brake fluid was low...was right at, or 1mm below the Min mark. Got my Motul fluid in one day via Amazon, topped her off, and light was out this morning.

Thanks all!

Great!

Time isn't the measure. Typically distance is.
Of course. My statement is based on the average joe driver who does a mix of city/highway about 10-15K miles in a year. Pads typically last longer than a year based on that.

Archived