LegacyGT.com

"Smart Start" Remote Starter for iPhone

noswad

Been considering getting a remote start for the wagon. Does anybody have the "Smart Start" Remote Starter made under the Viper or Clifford brand that uses the iPhone?

Its like 300, which is def stretching the RS budget, but looks kinda cool.

Am also considering a RS that uses the stock FOB (dont want another FOB)

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

we got them at my shop, they look cool in theory. They aren't two way (the car won't confirm commands or send alerts) as of yet and the module does require a service fee I believe that is $130 a year. as far as integrating to a factory fob, its possible depending on the year late 90's to mid 2000's factory security systems can only be disarmed via the factory remote. Which would mean you'd have to hit the unlock button acouple times to start it and then relock it after the car is running. Your best be for that kind of car is to get a remote start that would incorporate keyless entry aswell and put the factory fob in the safe next to the title. If its a new model with the keyless on the key, get a remote start with keyless and uses the valet key(with out the keyless fob intergrated with the key). Also if you do have a newer than 05 (on most models) you have to give up a key to make it start anyway (depend on what brands the shop you go to use).

Smart starts' are a cool idea but i wouldn't put one on my rig just yet if that tell. I would recommend a 2 way dei system though, increased range and confirmation is handy.

Archived