LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are great - thank you for bringing my updates over from NASIOC! I've been so busy with wrapping these up that I haven't had a lot of time to trek back and forth between forums. Anyway, you can look for a group buy and preorders to start next week! Here's a sneak peek at how production is moving along - yesterday's batch! All of the LGT splitters should be back from powdercoating shortly!

Re: that new PW intercooler, I gave my initial impressions on NASIOC when Kevin from PW came in to derail our thread and I'll spare you guys from the details. It's clear that they've been watching the development of our TMIC and were grasping to find a way to compete. It's a nice idea, but one that we dismissed almost a year ago ourselves as a result of a good deal of CFD analysis. I can expand if you'd like, but I think we'll probably just let both of them speak for themselves!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

1909187_10154830939285567_8463698902072063529_o.jpg

Edited by GrimmSpeed

like pressing the "that was easy button" how rude of him...totally excited for GS TMIC and all I need is to finalize my turbo decision (blouch 1.5xtr) *cough cough* and will be done with my car....for now that is...hehehe

Thanks Matt and GS team

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

They look great Matt, thanks for posting the picture here.

I'll get in on the GB but don't plan on putting mine on till it warms up in April.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If all I have is a stage 2 tune, what will this sexy piece of engineering provide me?

A lower bank statement.

Unless you have a leaking TMIC, there isn't a need to go above and beyond stock. If you plan on getting a bigger turbo, this would be a great option to have.

The stock tmic will not hold a lot more boost pressure.

You can do the bulletproof fix, but your still left with little volume in the core.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• Moderators

Having a small volume core is not an inherently bad thing, depending on the setup. Just sayin'.

xtea - if you have a stock turbo and plan to keep it that way, you won't see much in terms of gains, if anything. You will need a retune to see any benefit for sure. General consensus seems to be that you might get 5-10hp with an aftermarket intercooler.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

So I might be looking at 100/horse. I already bp'd and am running 18 psi. This looks sexy but Ill pass.

You can't look at a core upgrade simply based on $/HP. It's a mod which increases longevity of your engine and reduces likelihood of detonation by increasing cooling capacity. Extra horsepower is a byproduct of being more efficient.

You can't look at a core upgrade simply based on $/HP. It's a mod which increases longevity of your engine and reduces likelihood of detonation by increasing cooling capacity. Extra horsepower is a byproduct of being more efficient.

The question is if it actually produces any of those results on a Stg2 set-up. I know the larger TMICs generally heatsoak faster which makes me question if you are actually increasing the cooling in daily driving (stop and go traffic, stop lights, etc)

The question is if it actually produces any of those results on a Stg2 set-up. I know the larger TMICs generally heatsoak faster which makes me question if you are actually increasing the cooling in daily driving (stop and go traffic, stop lights, etc)

The way I have my car setup, with a blanket AND heat shield, the TMIC suffers from little heatsoak. The piping and volume difference between stock TMIC and larger aftermarket TMIC certainly isn't enough to produce lag. In my opinion, this mod will help stage 2 guys cool their intake charge since anything over 18psi is overworking a vf40 anyway.

Isn't your DD, stop lights and traffic going to have the same effect on a OEM TMIC ? The larger core helps move more air across the surface which cools the air quicker once the car is moving. My DD is 62 miles, about 4 miles of that is non-highway. This thing is a no brainer for me. It's great living out in the back country, sure beats the city life.

If you have the question why this is better then stock, and try and find out all the negitives that could happen.

Just save your money.

Most of us who will buy this understand the reasoning behind it.

It's all about the Bling :) LOL

Edited by Max Capacity

for me (and others who have aftermarket AVO/Perrin style TMIC), this upgrade will help reduce heat soak because the core is not connected directly to the turbo, as well as greatly reduce the install PITA.

• Moderators

I have a process west currently. Will be buying this because grimmspeed, because bling, and because I have a $500 gift code to blow at GS, so why the hell not? :lol:

That, and I like the visibility that GS provides and the market support also. It's nice that they are actually producing splitters for the Legacy platform.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Oh don't get me wrong. I want this thing. It looks so cool. My understanding though is that the plastic end-tanks on the OEM TMIC are actually pretty useful in traffic / heat.

I was set on buying it during the group-buy, but realistically $800 is probably better saved for a new clutch when my stg 2 eats my OEM clutch.

I do want it though....I have almost every other product they make on my car.