LegacyGT.com

p0420 Lacquer thinner cleaning of cats? Anyone ever tried this? About to test it.

p0420 Lacquer thinner cleaning of cats? Anyone ever tried this?

This is a popular discusion on the internet after scotty kilmer's youtube advice to clean cats by running 10% lacquer thinner to 90% gas mix through your engine for 150 miles.

p0420 is a common code for Subarus.

I have two cars now with the p0420.

2005 legacy NA 170,00 miles. CEL p0420 comes and goes for last 40,000 miles:

I bought the scan tool that connects a laptop to your obdII port on your car. My subaru shows fluctuating voltage between 0 and .7 volts for my downstream o2 sensor. That leads me to believe my o2 sensor is working ok and one or more of my CATS are in fact underperforming.

I have not tested CAT upstream and downstream temperature of each cat with an infrared thermometer but I'd like to.

2000 accord with 257,000 miles CEL p0420 just came this weekend:

This is the test vehical that I want to try the Laquer thinner test on before I put my more valuable Subaru 'at risk'.

(all over the web you get the advice why NOT to do this, damage fuel system seals, combustion burns off the cleaning agent etc etc. BUT only people have posted POSTITVE results that have done it. No negative discussion from people who have. I can find no long term confirmation that this procedure kept the CEL off for a long time, IE actually cleaned the cats)

ive heard of people mixing a pint of marvel mystery oil in a gallon container and topping it off with Acetone. Then add that gallon to your cars tank with only total of 1/4 gas tank filled. Run on highway till E light, then refuel with premium,

Archived