LegacyGT.com

oil catch can time!

I want to disagree with that. A working PCV system merely vents gases back into the intake tract for combustion, for emissions purposes, but as a result the intake tract will get greased up.

I guess on a stock boosted car it'd be fine, but even on a stage 2 which is running about 33% more boost (13.5 vs 18), it seems to me like there'd be a lot more blowby, enough to warrant installing a catch can.

To do a proper catch can setup in our cars, you would need two of them.

One connected to the vent hoses coming from the valve covers, and one connected to the PCV assembly.

Also: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/146699-official-sti-engine-venting-o-separators-catch-cans-thread.html

*Cracks knuckles*

There are better things to spend your money on than catch cans, but, having decided to run them myself, having read through the MASSIVE IWSTI thread about them in its entirety, and having redone my dual-can setup several times, let me toss in my $0.02.

- Whatever setup you go with, make certain that the can has a filtering/separation media in it of some kind. (I'm using the Moroso offering designed for the STi.)

- The cans will catch water vapor. If you live in a colder climate, make sure that you mount the cans somewhere in the engine bay where they'll stay warm, and also drain them regularly.

- If you're going to spend the time and money to do this, do it right the first time and make sure you have a separate can for the head breathers, and a separate can for the crankcase.

- Also, for maximum efficiency, it wouldn't hurt to have a dual vacuum source for at least the crankcase can. I'm using a Toyota Supra check valve from a vacuum source on the back if the intake manifold for vacuum, and then a line off of the inlet tube for boost vacuum.

To answer your original question, there are several nipples on the inlet tube. Trace to the one that the original PCV system uses. My crankcase can uses the one that's closest to the turbo.

Archived