LegacyGT.com

Red Mud Flaps ? 06 leggy Need HELP!

My buddy has an 06 STI in world rally blue and has red rally armor mud flaps that don't look terrible once you get used to them. The car is on auto trader if you want see some pictures ( search auto trader.ca near orangeviile, Ontario, Canada)

Rally armors are the subaru equivalent of an aluminum wing. Red ones are a two-tier aluminum wing with a type-r badge...

I disagree, RA are functional.......how are they equivalent to an aluminum wing?

[

I'll admit it's not exactly an apples-to-apples analogy.

I can see how you would need large square mudflaps if you were doing dirt/snow driving, but most people just put them on their lowered, street-only cars because "it's a Subaru thing."

They don't flow with the lines of car at all, and probably even hurt fuel mileage. I bet if you asked anyone (who didn't know RA's were "cool" because of subaru's rally heritage) their opinion, they'd say they look dumb, too.

I can agree in some way with you.....but......you live in a state that salts once in a blue moon. I know because I lived there for 29 yrs. I now live in a state that puts so much dirt and salt on the road it will make you sick. My RAs will protect my car from the damage that lowers the value a great deal....rock chips and corrosion from salt. Lower gas mileage......show me some tests on that one. I think RAs look bad with a 7" wheel on a lowered or stock car. But when you have 8"+......kinda looks like it is meant to be there.
[

I can agree in some way with you.....but......you live in a state that salts once in a blue moon. I know because I lived there for 29 yrs. I now live in a state that puts so much dirt and salt on the road it will make you sick. My RAs will protect my car from the damage that lowers the value a great deal....rock chips and corrosion from salt. Lower gas mileage......show me some tests on that one. I think RAs look bad with a 7" wheel on a lowered or stock car. But when you have 8"+......kinda looks like it is meant to be there.

I've only lived here for a few years. I've got about 25 years spent in NEPA, so I know about the salt and cinders. If I cared enough about a car's value out there, I didn't drive it in the winter. But with these cars being AWD, I can see the need.

And I can't guarantee any reduction in mileage, but if roof racks cause enough aero drag to make a difference, then I can see how having four flat pieces of plastic sticking out 2" on each side would too.

I'm just used to seeing every WRX/STI fanboi driving around their slammed street machines with a roof rack and rally armors just because it's the cool thing on NASIOC. I just hope we're not doing the same thing...

And my comparison to aluminum wings comes from them being originally used as a function>form mod that people started using for the wrong reason.

What would a guy who actually races rally-X think if he saw everyone doing it on their street cars?

The same thing the time attack racer thinks when he sees an aluminum wing on a street car!

:hide:

lordchilly has red flaps on his NBP (similar color to ABP) LGT. I am not a fan.

Pics of said car.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1266/4701261943_5a203d9bbc_b.jpg

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98177&d=1301514711

Archived