LegacyGT.com

Clutch Masters FX250 Installed

jay-d

Finished installing the Clutch Masters FX250 last night.

It looks like it's the best of both worlds with a full face organic disc on the flywheel side, and CM's new kevlar/formula segmented disc on the pressure plate side.

Pressure Plate Side

http://i.imgur.com/8FCC7wH.jpg

Flywheel Side

http://i.imgur.com/3HCXSwx.jpg

New OEM SMFW was installed as well.

There is absolutely no chatter, I have about 100km on the clutch and it grabs even at 1,000rpm, smooth as butter.

The clutch pedal is a lot softer as many have noted, I would say it requires about half the pressure to depress compared to OEM. I like it!

Paid $810 (after taxes in CAD for the CM FX250, yes things are expensive up here :( )

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help me out with this issue that's popped up?

Driving right away was a pleasure, however I've noticed that after 1000km, the clutch gets chattery when it's been warmed up. If the car's parked for a day or two, the clutch is smooth. I'm used to engaging the clutch at 1,500rpm, nothing past 2k rpm though.

To avoid the chatter, I have to either feather the clutch super slow or rev the engine to 2k+.

Clutch Masters doesn't know what it could be, especially that it only happens when it's hot. I was told to look at the engine mounts, but I'm not sure.. can that cause it?

• Moderators
Clutch Masters doesn't know what it could be, especially that it only happens when it's hot. I was told to look at the engine mounts, but I'm not sure.. can that cause it?

They know, they just don't want to admit that their clutches (for this platform at least) totally suck ass. At first I kind of just thought that they were crazy grabby, but at least they would hold power and what not--but now with so many folks needing to replace them at around 15k miles the whole thing seems ridiculous.

You're experience is not unlike that of many other CM FX-series users, myself included.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

They know, they just don't want to admit that their clutches (for this platform at least) totally suck ass. At first I kind of just thought that they were crazy grabby, but at least they would hold power and what not--but now with so many folks needing to replace them at around 15k miles the whole thing seems ridiculous.

You're experience is not unlike that of many other CM FX-series users, myself included.

Damn, that totally sucks. I read a lot of problems with the FX300, but I thought they'd have sorted it out with the FX250 and full face organic disc.

I'll keep feathering it out and hopefully it breaks in a little more. On my '99 Legacy, it was super chattery, but after a while it did smooth itself out.

My old Spec 2+ would chatter when it was damp sometimes. To fix it I would put tranny in neutral, and let the clutch pedal up as fast as you can get your foot off it and let it bang to the top.

Chatter was fixed.

My Spec 2 clutch has been perfect from the first time I pushed it in over 35,000 miles ago.

Just saying.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

They do seem to break in more after 3-5k miles or so.

That's better news.. it's so odd that it's so smooth after sitting over night, but soon as it warms up, the chatter returns.

I did some more experimenting, it only does it in first gear from a dead stop. Does not chatter in reverse or down shifting. Could it be motor mounts? They do have 213,000km.

My old Spec 2+ would chatter when it was damp sometimes. To fix it I would put tranny in neutral, and let the clutch pedal up as fast as you can get your foot off it and let it bang to the top.

Chatter was fixed.

My Spec 2 clutch has been perfect from the first time I pushed it in over 35,000 miles ago.

Just saying.

I was thinking about Spec 2 as well, but they didn't have a kit without the LWFW which I didn't want to deal with. I'm in Canada as well with hardly any retailers here :(

You need to buy the Spec2+ for the 2007 WRX and get a WRX OEM SMFW. Also, it is not your motor mounts, it is the clutch. I had the FX350 in after a build with all new everything. Mounts, engine, etc. It chattered the entire time on and off. On some days it wouldn't and some days it would.

You need to buy the Spec2+ for the 2007 WRX and get a WRX OEM SMFW. Also, it is not your motor mounts, it is the clutch. I had the FX350 in after a build with all new everything. Mounts, engine, etc. It chattered the entire time on and off. On some days it wouldn't and some days it would.

I don't think that's an option anymore. Spent $810 on this FX250 clutch alone plus the WRX OEM SMFW for $330.

:spin:

I don't think that's an option anymore. Spent $810 on this FX250 clutch alone plus the WRX OEM SMFW for $330.

:spin:

So you don't need a FW then. You can just get that one resurfaced for cheap. Just buy an 07 WRX Spec clutch kit if/when the CM clutch fails at low mileage.

What's strange are the mixed results with these. I put an FX300 in about 2500 miles ago, on a 30,000 mile WRX flywheel and its absolutely perfect. No chatter, smooth engagement and it holds really well.

Something I feel you guys are missing the point on.......a high performance clutch isn't made for longevity. I've had a Spec, an ACT, and now the CM and it's the best I've used so far in terms of civility.........with the exception of the OE which lasted 84,000 miles on stage 2 and 3. My Spec lasted 30K, the ACT lasted less then 20k.

Fingers crossed but so far the 300 has been stellar.

Sorry to hear your troubles, I hope CM can come up with something for you. More than likely they will deny any wrong doing (clutch makers's never stand behind their stuff)

What's strange are the mixed results with these. I put an FX300 in about 2500 miles ago, on a 30,000 mile WRX flywheel and its absolutely perfect. No chatter, smooth engagement and it holds really well.

Something I feel you guys are missing the point on.......a high performance clutch isn't made for longevity. I've had a Spec, an ACT, and now the CM and it's the best I've used so far in terms of civility.........with the exception of the OE which lasted 84,000 miles on stage 2 and 3. My Spec lasted 30K, the ACT lasted less then 20k.

Fingers crossed but so far the 300 has been stellar.

Sorry to hear your troubles, I hope CM can come up with something for you. More than likely they will deny any wrong doing (clutch makers's never stand behind their stuff)

I understand your point, but 12k miles is an unacceptable amount. Max Capacity has a good amount of miles on his Spec clutches, nearing stock amount of longevity.

• Moderators

In my opinion, inconsistency is the sign of a truly cruddy product.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I also wonder about all the stories about short life, I can't believe there are that many bad clutch's coming out of the factory(s).

How many places actually make the clutch they sell ? Does CM make all the parts them selves, same for Spec, ACT, etc.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Hanes as in underwear or Hayes ? :)

I had a Hayes in my old Duster 340 back in the late 1970's. I got lucky, a buddy who owned a speed shop in Victorville CA, knew the shop foreman at Hayes, we stopped in one day and he made up a pressure plate special for me. That clutch is what I gage all other clutches against. That clutch hit so hard on a power shift, you'd think the dashboard was going to fall in your lap. Easy pedal pressure.

Hanes as in underwear or Hayes ? :)

I had a Hayes in my old Duster 340 back in the late 1970's. I got lucky, a buddy who owned a speed shop in Victorville CA, knew the shop foreman at Hayes, we stopped in one day and he made up a pressure plate special for me. That clutch is what I gage all other clutches against. That clutch hit so hard on a power shift, you'd think the dashboard was going to fall in your lap. Easy pedal pressure.

I had a Hayes in my 400ci 4 speed Firebird. It took amazing abuse.:)

I wish CenterForce would get on the Subaru wagon......I've had a couple of them and never had an issue.

Here is the summary of my experience with Clutch Masters clutches on my modded DD 2005 OBXT.

OEM Clutch: Unknown previous number of miles when 2005 OBXT purchased from previous owner. Engine modded with injectors, pump, and 16G turbo for 1 year without issue. Clutch replaced as preventative maintenance while doing other work. OEM clutch looked good with plenty of life left.

CM FX300: Failed 2.5 months with less than 3000 miles due to 'defective pressure plate' that came with kit.

CM FX350: Sent as 'upgrade' replacement for failed FX300 (though, without asking if I wanted the 'upgrade'). It shook the the car so badly that bolts rattled loose in engine bay and in the cabin on several occasions. The earthquake-like shaking got worse over 5000 miles until it failed. On inspection by CM at their facility, it was determined that the clutch had 'worn out'. However, they replaced it with an FX200 (by my request). I had to pay out-of-pocket for this reinstall. Not happy.

CM FX200: Smooth and Solid after 8000 miles. It feels good. With the lower plate pressure than their other clutches, a full face, and kevlar material, it is advertised as "significantly longer life than stock". However, clutch engagement has been drifting up after months. A mechanic recently drove my car (for other reasons) and commented, "By the way, your clutch feels like it's going out". If it is actually going out, I will not be replacing it with CM.

Just my own individual experience with several CM products in slightly over 1 year. I should have just stuck with OEM

Archived