LegacyGT.com

Oil Disposal

I'm wondering how you all go about disposing of your used motor oil.

Do you take it to the dump?

Do you take it to an autozone (or like) store?

How do you transport it?

I've been finding myself lugging the whole oil drain pan down to auto zone and it is really inconvenient. Looking for some better ideas!

Put the old in oil in the empty oil bottles. I've had places refuse to take oil from containers like an anti-freeze jug and even a milk jug cz the guy said it was contaminated and couldn't be recycled. It was now hazardous waste. He was wrong but I had to find another place to bring it to, so now I just use empty oil containers.

Put the old in oil in the empty oil bottles. I've had places refuse to take oil from containers like an anti-freeze jug and even a milk jug cz the guy said it was contaminated and couldn't be recycled. It was now hazardous waste. He was wrong but I had to find another place to bring it to, so now I just use empty oil containers.

You must not be very persuasive :lol:

^^ You generally will dump the oil from the jugs into the disposal and then toss the jugs/bottles or reuse them?

My local Autozone has a cart where you place the jugs, and they deal with it on their own time. For this reason, I "lose" the jugs... but then again, I buy a new one for replacement oil anyway... so I don't care.

In other words, since I always have a new jug of oil for the next change, the old oil goes into the pan, new stuff in the motor, then the old stuff from the pan into the jug, and then turn in the jug.

Buy your oil in 5 quart jugs...it makes it easier to put the waste oil in those than quart bottles. I have never had our county hazardous waste facility balk at the containers I use for oil (milk jugs, windshield wasker fluid, etc). For anything other than motor oil I try and but the product back into a container commercially labeled as to what it is (coolant, brake fluid, etc).
It is still ugly.

i tried 2 quicklube places near me and they both refused to take my synthetic.

took it to pepboys once and it was a 20min process.

so i just put it in the empty jugs from my new oil and chuck it in the dumpster. Go planet earth!!

are you in the US? Do you have an Advanced Auto parts store near you? Autozone? NAPA? All those places take oil and most other used car fluids

It probably varies from state to state or municipality to municipality, but in Minnesota retailers that sell motor oil are either required to take in used oil or post the address of the nearest facility that will take used oil.
It is still ugly.

Agree....i've dropped it at pepboys, autozones, and other places with 0 hassle for years. Look around and you'll see where they want you to drop off.

I'd also second using containers and just mention that you should use screw-top containers. I've used a few milk containers with the "pop" off tops, and you just worry the whole time you drive the oil to the drop off :)

I do drain antifreeze down the regular drain on a public sewer line, but I've been told that is acceptable (rather than in the ground) because it's treated out.

Why 20 min....lots of people? I walk in, sign their sheet with quantity info, drop on desk, then walk out.

Sign-in sheet? We don't need no stinkin' sheet!

Seriously though, there's nothing to the process at my Massachusetts Autozone, as I mentioned. Walk in, put the jug on the cart, walk out (or shop around). You can put car batteries on that cart as well (for recycling, of course)...

All towns in CT are required to have oil disposal sites at the transfer station. I honestly think it is easier to do it this way (the receptacle is so much larger, can dump multiple jugs at one time) and you don't have to sign off on any papers.

I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable putting my name and address down on some sheet of paper.

Depending on how much I have hoarded over a couple months (3 Subarus and a Dodge Cummins 2500) :eek: I bring a few jugs and a covered drain pan and have at it.

Yard guy says once the oil is out, it's considered household waste, so I just throw the used jugs in there, start all over when I empty the new containers!

Anyone know how long 2 gallons of oil will heat a 400 square foot insulated garage when using an efficient oil burner? :)

Maybe I can convince my local Pepboys to give me loads of leftover oil for free....of course, do I really want to burn conventional oil in my house?

Archived