LegacyGT.com

Radiator fan questions

Yeah, more radiator fan questions...

I purchased new motors since my old ones were/are failing only to find that they won't bolt into the housing and have different plugs on them. Once I finally got over being mad about wasting a night wrenching on the car I started thinking and remembered how my fan motors look exactly like the motors that are on my friends 2.5i of the same year.

Then it hit me: when the front end of this car was rebuilt from a front-end accident, the either cheaped out or couldn't find GT fans and shrouds and decided to use inferior base model fans. Now I'm left wondering what I need to buy to make the car right again.

So this is my question: Are the fans and overflow tanks for the turbo and non-turbo motors the same or will I need to replace those as well (found out the hard way the shrouds are definitely different)?

At least that explains why there's an odd pigtail with factory plugs on both ends between the body harness and the fan motor...

• I Donated Too

There are parts number differences between the fans for GT and NA engines...

45131SA00A is the correct part for GT's and 45121AG02A is the correct part for NA.

If the overflow tank fits the radiator... I don't think you need to worry about that, it's just a plastic bottle that holds fluid. It's got two part numbers for each engine but I suspect it's still the same 45150AG01A (GT) /45150AG00A (NA)

There are lots of the SAME exact parts with different part numbers and prices... one such case is the ABS sensor - different part numbers for Legacy and Forester but it IS the same exact part - the Forester one costs $100 more! This happens a lot.

Are the fans visibly the same with different pig tails... move the wires over. Look at the rating on the fan motors themselves - again I suspect they may be the same damn thing.

I should better explain my situation:

Instead of buying the entire assembly I just purchased replacement motors. I can't seem to get the photo uploader to work but there is a definite difference in size between the two motors; the GT model is much larger and will not, in any way, bolt into the shroud.

I did some digging on Hueburger's website and found that the fan blades for the 2.5i cannot be purchased separately from the motors (can only buy the assembly), so there's no way of knowing how the part numbers compare. eBay hasn't been much help in trying to identify differences either.

Archived