LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

I'm using a Sirius S50, which has a 1/8" stereo line out connector. Any ideas?

:iam: I'm using the GLI and both the line level input off the iPod or the mini-jack stereo for mp3's when using my Nuvi. I don't experience any cut-off.

Do you have a sub?

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you listened to your Sirius tuner anywhere else? That's the only thing I can think of as a source for the problem...Sat radio is still compressed audio - some stations on XM sound like crap to me regardless. Can you hook up any other audio source for comparisons?
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

...get a measuring mic...use a program like this http://www.ymec.com/hp/signal2/sweep.htm ...and see where you are low or lost!

CRAZY KEN

I think a need to recalibrate my JL Cleansweep, because I changed headunit with an '06 that plays mp3's and new speakers! It sounds like it is missing something...I agree!

Got mine this week and installed it today. It took a while to install but worked perfectly. I am using it with the Harmon Kardon Drive & Play for the iPod - but I noticed something during testing. If I use the HKD&P for audio output - it severly clips my output frequencies and the music sounds very tin-like without much bass. However, if I connect the audio input directly to the iPod speaker jack, turn it all the way up (mine's capped at 80% volume) it sounds FANTASTIC! So know I'm using the HKD&P for controlling the iPod, but have disconnected the audio out from in and plug in directly to the iPod. It works and sounds leagues better. Requires plugging in two cables but I don't mind for the added sound.

As for the comments on Sirius - I finally gave up my subscription. The sound is very compressed on certain stations. If you listen to a popular station they give it a lot of bandwidth, but the more obscure it is the less bandwidth gets dedicated and the worse it sounds. I've had XM and Sirius, and XM sounded much better. Even in my BMW with a dedicated tuner in the headunit - it sounds weak and compressed. It didn't used to, but it does now - I think they've modified the streams to accommodate for their new video services they are rolling out. I won't go back to XM because their service department stinks - and Sirius sounds bad - so no more Sat Radio for me for a while.

As for the comments on Sirius - I finally gave up my subscription. The sound is very compressed on certain stations. If you listen to a popular station they give it a lot of bandwidth, but the more obscure it is the less bandwidth gets dedicated and the worse it sounds. I've had XM and Sirius, and XM sounded much better. Even in my BMW with a dedicated tuner in the headunit - it sounds weak and compressed. It didn't used to, but it does now - I think they've modified the streams to accommodate for their new video services they are rolling out. I won't go back to XM because their service department stinks - and Sirius sounds bad - so no more Sat Radio for me for a while.

I would wait until they launch their new satellite in a year or so. It will be in A geosynchronous orbit like the XM satellite, it should improve bandwidth, and improve reception.

I have noticed the Stern sounds great all of the time, during the morning when his show is live every other channel stinks. I assume this is their adaptive bandwidth system at work.

At work when streaming with the premium connection the audio is more consistent, and does not suffer like the radios do

Not that I own an iPod, but I like this product of theirs better:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-fw.html

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Yeah tested another audio source for the input, its definately the sirius radio... sorry i doubted your magic chip jazzy! As for sirius, in comparing Stern's station(s) to a few rock channels, they deffinately give extra bandwidth to select channels... those bastards :icon_mad:. wish i had known this before i subscribed for a year!

Unfortunately, XM does the same thing. My fav channels (48-Squizz, 47-Ethel, 54-Lucy) get pretty low bandwidth while the top 20 & pop/r&B ones get pretty much everything they want. Plus, every damn station is EQ'd differently - so every time I change stations I get a totally different sound. I'm sure some people like that, but I don't.

Even stranger yet, is despite them discontinuing two of my preset stations (and probably others), quality seems to continue to get worse.

Quality aside, I like Sirius better. As an example, their 80's channel is perfect. The same chan on XM plays the most obscure crap from the 80's - most of which I've never even heard of...nor wish to hear again. I like Squizz, but generally I think Sirius' music channels are DJ'd better.

Got mine this week and installed it today. It took a while to install but worked perfectly. I am using it with the Harmon Kardon Drive & Play for the iPod - but I noticed something during testing. If I use the HKD&P for audio output - it severly clips my output frequencies and the music sounds very tin-like without much bass. However, if I connect the audio input directly to the iPod speaker jack, turn it all the way up (mine's capped at 80% volume) it sounds FANTASTIC! So know I'm using the HKD&P for controlling the iPod, but have disconnected the audio out from in and plug in directly to the iPod. It works and sounds leagues better. Requires plugging in two cables but I don't mind for the added sound.

I had the same problem... the output on the D+P is awful.... I ended up putting my sirius directly into the jazzy input, and using the free fm modulator cable that came with my D+P, I put the D+P direclty into the antenna line using Subaru Metra connector to Motorola adaptors... I hate using it that way, but it's the only way to get full sound out of it, and I like having the ipod hidden and whatnot... I'm not the biggest fan of the D+P currently... but I have it modded in so nicely I don't want to pull it out.... plus now I get an extra input.. which I'll either hook my nav into, an open accessory port, or a Motorola bluetooth link, so I can connect bluetooth devices like phones, ipods etc... (despite already haveing a BT car kit)..... damn you HK!!

sorry if this has already been covered, but it's a 31 page thread and i did search it without finding an answer...

With Jazzy's ipod kit, does the ipod turn on and off with the ignition? If so, does it resume playback from where you left off?

If not, how can i achieve those things?

iPod functionality has only to do with the iPod dock you use, not the aux-in. But if you're asking if the iPod docking cable I sell provides that functionality, I don't think that it does.

Yes, that's what i meant.

Hmm, so does anyone know if there is an ipod docking cable that pulls line-level audio from the ipod AND charges it AND turns the ipod on/off with ignition AND resumes play?

Seems like that would be the ideal functionality for most ipod users. Basically it would operate just like any standard cd player.

Just wanted to post and thank Jazzy for the mod. We installed it today and it works perfectly.

We used a short male-female cable from the back of the board so the radio doesn't have to be pulled again if we want to add a splitter or anything - just the console and trim will need to come out. The input jack was placed in the cubby next to the lighter socket - totally unobtrusive.

Very awesome. I'm a happy camper. Thanks again :)

-Coelli

I haven't bought the mod yet, mainly I'm concerned about installation..I know I will lose, break, crack, strip something that will f my car..I went to two different car audio places, one wanted $125 plus and hour of shop time, the other didnt want to mess with it..anyone from the long island area that could help me out that's done this before?

let me know..thanks

Just got mine installed over the weekend. I originally was going to go with the XM Roady XT in the cubby, however it really didn't fit well and there would have been WAY too much customization (i.e. hacking of the interior) and I didn't want to go that route. SO.... I decided to go with the XM Commander in the cubby and they brought the female end into the glove box so you can disconnect the XM line out and put it into an Ipod or whatever....(I'll post pictures).

However - Whenever the Line-in is going into the XM radio, there is a constant buzzing sound?? I thought this was only supposed to happen with an Ipod when charging?? Also, when I unplug the XM and put the line-in into my Ipod (not being charged) there is NO buzzing...just crystal clear sound as intended?

My thoughts was that the male-female connection from XM is not completely "in", however I am not sure. I had a custom car audio place install this whole thing, so I am bringing it back to them tomorrow morning to get it looked at....

Any thoughts????

Thanks!

Joe

However - Whenever the Line-in is going into the XM radio, there is a constant buzzing sound?? I thought this was only supposed to happen with an Ipod when charging?? Also, when I unplug the XM and put the line-in into my Ipod (not being charged) there is NO buzzing...just crystal clear sound as intended?

That buzzing is probably from the XM Commander's power supply. You may need a GLI to eliminate it.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Does the buzzing change when the headlights are on? My daughters Impreza had an awful high pitched hum that came thru the xm radion but only when the headlight switch was on. Neither I nor the installer made the connection (sorry, no pun intended) since the headlights are always on. After weeks, I finally noted that the hum went way when the dashboard light control was full on and returned when the dash lights were dimmed. The problem was the antenna crossed near the reostat that ontrolled the dash dimmer and caused an electrical interference thru the XM input to the HU.

That buzzing is probably from the XM Commander's power supply. You may need a GLI to eliminate it.

Went there today and they ended up putting in a GLI, and it didn't help. It still makes the buzzing. It does not buzz when the car is on, but not running? They think it is the "computer" or whatever for the Commander (not the unit, but what everything connects to).

They are going to swap that out on Friday and see what happens....

might be a stupid question, but we dont have an rca input on any source? I'm assuming that's why this mod is necessary..best buy tried selling me the drive-and-play when I asked them if they could install the mod..but without any rca inputs on the stereo I think that would be useless (definitely not going through the fm)

can anyone clarify this for me?

thanks