LegacyGT.com

5MT won't go into 2nd gear

Alright guys, I'm pretty sure something is internally screwed...

I was having difficulty getting my car into 1st and 2nd the other day at a stop, and then getting into 3rd once it went into 2nd. All other gear were fine if I didn't try and put it into 1st or 2nd. I still had difficulty while moving, but much less so.

The day before yesterday, or yesterday (I don't even remember), I wasn't able to get it into 2nd at all. I still can not. Engaging 1st gear is still rough when stopped, and not at all if I've just stopped from moving.

If I try to force it into 2nd it gets jammed and I have to force it back out. FYI, I'm only getting it like a few millimeters into the gate when it jams. It pretty much just won't go into the gate.

I've checked my linkage underneath for any problems, but it's exactly the same as it has been. Sloppy because of the lack of rubber bushings... But nothing seems broken or damaged beyond that.

Whatcha guys think?

Okay so I went out and pull the little dip stick.

It's bent...

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/96FD15C0-A1CF-4039-8440-138746BB4C5B-2998-00000122E3AAEBEA.jpg

And here's the level:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/649CBD49-E387-4DFD-B8E7-A5D8DC409028-2998-00000122F55EAE1E.jpg

Well this is news to me I didn't even kno there was a dipstick for 5mt trannys. I looked into some gear oil today at work for my 95 ob and it said 75-90. My mechanic also said that it was fine (he's one of those mechs that has been building cars since Henry ford) so yea.

• I Donated

They call for 75w90...and thats a synthetic gear oil...however Subarus can be picky as to what brand / formula is used. Subaru Special S tends to work the best.

As far as your issue Kenny....I'm still sticking by what I told you before. It has to be the linkage. If not, you're having syncro problems.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
I'm starting to think a bent fork...

My dad will finally be home this week and he will help me figure it out.

Can the synchro's be easily repaired if you tear the trans apart?

You can buy a new transmission (well used) for cheaper then a new gearset. So repairing syncros is generally out of the question.

And if it were a bent fork, you would be having issues in every gear...especially first gear. When my fork bent, I wasn't able to get it into first gear at all...but I was able to force it into second and after I got moving I was able to shift from there.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update:

This past weekend my dad and I put the car up on the lift and pulled the two-piece rear housing off the transmission..

We ended up finding out that I broke 20% of a fork off.. (Pics to come) We are not sure what fork it's from, and we won't unless we end up spliting the case. It is either the 1st/2nd fork or the 3rd/4th fork. Not 100% sure. While pulling and pushing on the engagement rods, every single gear engaged/disengaged perfectly. Same amount of force on each one. Nothing was broken, bent, or damaged on the rod that pulls/pushes that engagement rods.

I'm going to order a full set of gaskets and a new linkage to install on Wednesday. Hopefully all the gears will then engage smoothly and will work well enough until I sell the car. This goes on the theory that the broken component was causing my engagement issues and why I then ended up getting jammed into 3rd. If not, the whole trans will be coming out and torn apart to install a new fork.

Archived