LegacyGT.com

Traded Her In (2005 Legacy GT wagon)

skimann20

If anyone is looking for a 2005 legacy gt wagon there is one at Mcgee toyota. With number three on the way, the wagon just wasn't going to work for me anymore. This car is very clean and well taken care of. It even has a new turbo. (I'm not affiliated with Mcgee at all)

Maybe some day I'll return back to the Subaru family but the whole "the reason your turbo blew is because you use synthetic oil" left a sour taste in my mouth.

Also, thanks for all the advice you guys have given me, very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Brad

http://www.mcgeetoyota.com/used/Subaru/2005-Subaru-Legacy+Wagon-b02bcf6d0a0d048e00577bbc39fb2323.htm

interesting reason as to why your turbo "blew".

It's because it's a know problem with these cars and the bango bolt filter. I've changed the oil every 3-4K miles on this car, so they had to blame it on something. "Synthetic has a tendency to gum up more" I asked to have that in writing. I gust got a smile back. :)

I agree! How could synthetic cause a turbo to blew? I use synthetic in mine and most threads I've read everyone else is doing the same.

Ah yes. I've run synthetic oil in all my cars (wrx before this one, with over 100K miles, didn't burn a drop of oil) and was told that if i blow another turbo; and they see that i've been using synthetic oil, they will then void my warranty. Got that in writing.

sour taste but cheaper oil changes...

It's because it's a know problem with these cars and the bango bolt filter. I've changed the oil every 3-4K miles on this car, so they had to blame it on something. "Synthetic has a tendency to gum up more" I asked to have that in writing. I gust got a smile back. :)

A clogged banjo filter is a known issue, but clogging due to using synthetic? I call bullshit on this one. What stealership told you this ridiculousness?

Yeah, Google seems to disagree as well. Doing a search for "turbo synthetic oil" will get you several articles and forums will get you anywhere from not much difference to espousing the benefits of synthetic oil in turbocharged cars, with the vary rare (I've seen one) forum post saying the dealership does not recommend it.

The 2012 GT requires synthetic oil according to cars101.com. [sarcasm]I sure hope that doesn't void my warranty once my car is delivered to the dealership and I can pick it up.[/sarcasm]

The only way i could see synthetic being a "problem" is if people went far beyond the change interval, thinking that it's safe. My 05 XT is at 132k, gttuner was kind enough to pull my banjo filter maybe 10k ago, and it was clean as could be. I've used synthetic at all times in the car.

I had an 02 bugeye hatchback and lost the motor at 68k. Rod bearing went and the rest is history. Dealer took care of it under my extended Subaru warrant but blamed it on mobile 1 5w-30 . They had 75% of the wrecked motors coming in with mobile 1 5w 30. They said use any oil I wanted just not that one, I was on 3750 oci and they claimed the Mobil is too thin at that weight.

I swapped to regular oil drove another 80k never had a problem.

I had an 02 bugeye hatchback and lost the motor at 68k. Rod bearing went and the rest is history. Dealer took care of it under my extended Subaru warrant but blamed it on mobile 1 5w-30 . They had 75% of the wrecked motors coming in with mobile 1 5w 30. They said use any oil I wanted just not that one, I was on 3750 oci and they claimed the Mobil is too thin at that weight.

I swapped to regular oil drove another 80k never had a problem.

I cant believe it, but, i actually agree with you 100% (except for using dino oil in a turbo car) so more like 98%

M1 is garbiegeee. Most M1, like 90% of them. 5W30 is definitely trailer park oil.

Too bad it's an autotragic. Still a fun car I'm sure. I know the pussbox makes BMX salivate, but it makes anyone with testicles flaccid.

:)

(come at me bro)

I do 3-5k typically. Nothing crazy. Banjo bolt filter looked clean as new at 100k.

I only used M1 because it was cheapest at the time. I'm currently on M1 & Pennzoil mix for this oci.since it was laying around. I've been on Pennzoil most of the last 25k and don't plan on changing.

Archived