LegacyGT.com

Bad Idea Gone Wrong

Hey So last night trying to enjoy Seattle's Snow Strom I went out to do a couple donuts and drift a bit in a safe confined parking lot. I thought it was no biggy cause ive done them before in snow in multiple cars. When I was done I had a burn smell coming in to the cabin but I just thought it might of been the tires. I drove away and noticed my car was trembling at a stop light. I drove for a bit then it turned off on me. I wasn't able to start it again. But in the "on" position I notice the fans were on full blast I thought I might of overheated to turbo since I was doing the donuts in 1st Gear revving it a bit high. After the fans turned off I tried cranking it a bit more and it won't turn over. I tried it acouple more times but by now I think I might of drained the battery.

I have a 2005 LGT 5EAT. I replaced the turbo about 1500 miles ago. I did have the steering wheel at lock acouple times (I was reading it messed up your power stearing, but why doesn't it start?) I had acouple ppl help me push it into a parking lot. I'm about to walk over right no to see if I can start it again.

My question is why won't it turn over?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The smell is common when doing that. It's been talked about before.

I have no idea why the car won't turn over. On one has had that happen after donuts.

I tried a few today in the parking lot at work, but there wasn't enough snow, too many tire tracks in it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's a 05 have you ever replaced the battery ?

You need to keep the terminals clean and put some grease over them to seal out moisture.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just pulled out the dip stick and it has no oil. :(

It's possible it's just too low to read, but - that can't be good. First order of business is to do an oil change & see how low it really was. Then try to jump start it - if it doesn't budge, it might be siezed... :eek:

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

any time a turbo blows it usually contaminates the oil and destroys your engine rod bearings at the same time, within 5k miles of turbo replacement you might hear engine rod knock.

So what you're describing of a blown engine is pretty normal.

I guess that's what I'm looking at right now. I'm at an auto shop right now. They cant look at it till Monday but it sounds like a blown engine. He said it could be a jumped time. He needs a good look but it sounds bad.

OP, FYI EJ257 shortblock != STi conversion. $1600ish is a new block from Heuberger (subarupartsstore.net).

You want the EJ257 OEM shortblock, transfer everything over from the old motor and put it in. New gaskets everywhere, new banjo bolt filters, replace all old hoses, etc.

The smell is common when doing that. It's been talked about before.

I have no idea why the car won't turn over. On one has had that happen after donuts.

I tried a few today in the parking lot at work, but there wasn't enough snow, too many tire tracks in it.

went out right now I do smell it. I hope it's not center diff clutches melting :p Definitely smells like tires though. If you're running snow tires it will catch asphalt if it's not deep enough.

Did a couple donuts the other night but the snow was light and only a few inches. Had the similar tire smell on my final turn. A little worried as I've dealt with the turbo/engine nightmare before. Checked my PS fluid in the am and it was actually below cold min. oil level was ok. antifreeze low. topped off my fluids and everything seems to be ok.

if you fried a bearing bring on a new shortblock. stealership could be a $5000+ investment.

i also think i'm done with these parking lot donuts as i have a helluva time getting all the snow off the rims. nothing gets me more irked than having to pull over three times on the way to work to try and clear out the snow. #lgtproblems

Thanks guys for a your input.

A bike? Naw I cant I travel thru the pass a lot in need awd.

Well at this point idk what it can be. The auto shop I took it to is gonna check it out by tomorrow that way I at least know what I got my self in to.

Archived