LegacyGT.com

What are the best combinations of mods for 1-2k?

What will give me the most bang for the buck? I already have a GMS exhaust, which I would like to replace with a cobb or bolra unit. Catless down, and that's is all currently. I have some money in the bank I would like to spend on going fast, but I wanted to get some opinions first. I did a search and read the stickies and it seems that most say uppipe and a tune are the next best things, but like I said, I want some opinions. My guy at motionlabs says that I should do their uppipe and upgrade the turbo to a vf40, with a dyno tune. But if I am going to spend the money on a turbo, i would rather get something that I am not going to just replace again down the road. IOW, I want a good bit of overhead room. Also, I know with more power comes more things to break in the driveline, so if anyone thinks I need to replace bits along the way, please suggest so.

Also, has anyone put a center diff controller in the LGT's? I didn't see anything, but I didn't know if someone can point me to a thread I missed?

I also need to know if there is a way to add rear camber adjustment. My right rear is out by -.38. And I according to the machine and what I could see, there isn't a way to adjust it. So obviously something has to be bent, or something or it should be within spec. But I don't see anything obviously bent. I know .38 isn't much, and it's only out by .15ish but still, it bothers me.

Last, when the previous owner replaced the exhaust he did away with the turbo shield, and I was wondering if I should invest in a blanket or something else?

Thanks for the great forum, and any/all responses.

What year is your car? If its an 05/06 then you have a catted up pipe and switching to a catless would be best. I believe the 07+ LGT have the catless up pipe stock. Also alot of people do the downpipe and then cobb AP for stage 2. That gives regular people enough to play around with. If you wanna go farther... a good TMIC or a FMIC is next. The VF40 turbo is the stock unit on the car... and there are many different options when it comes to turbos from what Ive seen. The VF52 turbo which is the turbo out of the 09/10 WRX is a direct bolt on and is good up to 325whp I think. You can use the TMIC with it to...but not sure if fueling mods would be needed. That should be a good start to your power needs.

No idea on the center diff question though... and you could always take it to a alignment shop and see what they say. Or have them align it back to spec.

As far as the rear camber I had my2005 lgt lowered on the tein s tech springs and my rear camber was out -3.5. The lgt does not come with a factory rear camber ajustment so I had to go out and buy adjustable rear control arms and lateral links. I went with the whitelines for about 400.they soved the problem perfectly.

Accessport, tbe, headers, uppipe, and tmic is a good start for power but honestly I wish I would have gotten suspension prepped because I am fast but I just can't turn... Once you get tired of stage II then bigger turbo with supporting fuel upgrade and then a tune will prolly be the last step, then you start breaking things from this point :)

What year is your car? If its an 05/06 then you have a catted up pipe and switching to a catless would be best. I believe the 07+ LGT have the catless up pipe stock. Also alot of people do the downpipe and then cobb AP for stage 2. That gives regular people enough to play around with. If you wanna go farther... a good TMIC or a FMIC is next. The VF40 turbo is the stock unit on the car... and there are many different options when it comes to turbos from what Ive seen. The VF52 turbo which is the turbo out of the 09/10 WRX is a direct bolt on and is good up to 325whp I think. You can use the TMIC with it to...but not sure if fueling mods would be needed. That should be a good start to your power needs.

No idea on the center diff question though... and you could always take it to a alignment shop and see what they say. Or have them align it back to spec.

Mine is an 05.

Sorry, I should have listed that in the post.

As far as the rear camber I had my2005 lgt lowered on the tein s tech springs and my rear camber was out -3.5. The lgt does not come with a factory rear camber ajustment so I had to go out and buy adjustable rear control arms and lateral links. I went with the whitelines for about 400.they soved the problem perfectly.

Cool, I was afraid of that. I'm surprised that subie wouldn't have included rear camber adjustments in a car. I know that it doesn't go out often, but that seems to me like a necessity.

Accessport, tbe, headers, uppipe, and tmic is a good start for power but honestly I wish I would have gotten suspension prepped because I am fast but I just can't turn... Once you get tired of stage II then bigger turbo with supporting fuel upgrade and then a tune will prolly be the last step, then you start breaking things from this point :)

So I guess after a bigger turbo, fuel system, and tune upgrade then I'm looking at a full build?

Geez, I'm an idiot. I don't know what I was looking at when I posted this in the photo forum. Sorry for the moment of stupidity. Mods, if you can move this to the 4th gen forum it would be greatly appreciated.

Upgrade your UP and your DP and get a tune. Don't do the Accessport. Get some Sway bars and endlinks before you go suspension. You'll be amazed at the power and handling right there. Along with some decent tires for your weather conditions.

Good luck.

So I guess after a bigger turbo, fuel system, and tune upgrade then I'm looking at a full build?

It would be worth it, honestly 320whp is more than enough for this car, a vf52 turbo can handle that kind of power and personally unless you're gonna race this car anything beyond 320whp you will need to start pulling the head. I'm stage II and I am comfortable where I am as far as power goes. My accessport says my 0-60 is 4.9-5 sec flat. That's with stock intercooler, stock headers, and uppipe... I've been slow on getting the uppipe

obviously the up/dp to start with. the exhaust you have is fine, you can change it but it wont make you go "faster" lol. You don't need to waste your money on an accessport and a tune. Just go with an open source through a local tuner or etune from one of our great vendors offering them. You can run the stock turbo to a decent whp/wtq; though if you do want more power then go 52 or 16g/18g. 52 and 16g don't need fuel upgrades, 18g+ does.

Honestly, get your self a good suspension and it'll feel faster hands down. Being able to enter corners and exit corners faster and with more confidence drops lap times easily. Don't go BC coilovers, you pay for what you get.. they're cheap. If your not going to race it or plan on using it as a DD, then go koni yellow shocks with some springs of your choice. There are PLENTY of opions out there for springs.

With that you'll be good. I also recommend at least a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge. You can get a cubby mount or a pillar mounts.

and to answer the question about the DCCD control, yes it has been done. There's a lot involved in it though...

Oh yeah.. your clutch will start to slip once your close to 300whp. You'll have to upgrade that and the flywheel to a singlemass flywheel. I don't recommend a lightweight flywheel for DD either.

If your good with a dremel and some tools, you can easily upgrade your fuel pump to give you some more head room. Walbro 255 pumps go for about $75+ on here.

Use search and read up a lot before committing to buying anything right away. Read reviews and see what people say about it. You'll thank your self later.

I forgot to add: a new tmic or a fmic is definitly key to holding power as well. The stock tmic will suffice for the time being. If your not going to upgrade it, then keep an eye on it for the end tanks beginning to split from the core. JB Weld helps fix that temporarily. And youll need a good bpv/bov.

obviously the up/dp to start with. the exhaust you have is fine, you can change it but it wont make you go "faster" lol. You don't need to waste your money on an accessport and a tune. Just go with an open source through a local tuner or etune from one of our great vendors offering them. You can run the stock turbo to a decent whp/wtq; though if you do want more power then go 52 or 16g/18g. 52 and 16g don't need fuel upgrades, 18g+ does.

Honestly, get your self a good suspension and it'll feel faster hands down. Being able to enter corners and exit corners faster and with more confidence drops lap times easily. Don't go BC coilovers, you pay for what you get.. they're cheap. If your not going to race it or plan on using it as a DD, then go koni yellow shocks with some springs of your choice. There are PLENTY of opions out there for springs.

With that you'll be good. I also recommend at least a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge. You can get a cubby mount or a pillar mounts.

and to answer the question about the DCCD control, yes it has been done. There's a lot involved in it though...

Oh yeah.. your clutch will start to slip once your close to 300whp. You'll have to upgrade that and the flywheel to a singlemass flywheel. I don't recommend a lightweight flywheel for DD either.

If your good with a dremel and some tools, you can easily upgrade your fuel pump to give you some more head room. Walbro 255 pumps go for about $75+ on here.

Use search and read up a lot before committing to buying anything right away. Read reviews and see what people say about it. You'll thank your self later.

I forgot to add: a new tmic or a fmic is definitly key to holding power as well. The stock tmic will suffice for the time being. If your not going to upgrade it, then keep an eye on it for the end tanks beginning to split from the core. JB Weld helps fix that temporarily. And youll need a good bpv/bov.

Oh, I know that the new exhaust won't change anything as far as power goes. I want to change it because the welds are in the wrong locations, so neither muffler sets in the bumper correctly. I just wanted something that fits correctly and doesn't look so bad.

Thanks for the help and answers.

id get a dick enhancement so you can walk around swinging it around and say **** modding a car, you got a big schlong. I was gonna do that but they said theres nothing bigger than mine. do you know how hard it is to find 3 legged pants?

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

Catalyst don't remind me, thinking about getting a invidia up this summer...mrhellrais3r i agree with you but honestly if you want to make things easier i personally think a accessport is great for beginners and then when you start playing with a bigger fire sell it???? Agreed???

Sorry for the caps lock

Thread moved.

And this question has been asked a thousand times over the last 6 years or so.

The above answers are generally pretty bang on.

UP, DP, tune, better sway bars, better tires, better springs. Perfect stage 2 set up with better handling. All can be had for under 2K if you buy well.

Archived