LegacyGT.com

Making my 2001 Legacy wagon peppier?

Just bought my third Subie. Getting a newer one each time. This one is a 2001 Legacy L Wagon. I want to enhance its performance without doing and engine swap and keep it reasonable. It has a SOHC EJ25. My question is what mods can I perform to get a little more power without killing my pocket book? I can do most of it myself with the help of a very good friend, so parts are the biggest expense of the projects. Thanks in advance for any help.

Not many mods, you'll be able to gain a few (10-20 at MOST). Everything else involves lotsa money, and some (cams) will only give a few more hp.

Cheap mods include:

various intakes

lightweight crank

I'd also make sure you have fresh spark plugs and wires, unless you know they were changed recently.

I have a 2002 legacy gt with a 3 inch ram air intake 2 1/4 cat back exhaust lowered with 05 wheels. The care backfires everytime I shift and hit the gas I was told it could be the throttle position sensor but it cost almost 200$ so I thought I would try asking around if anyone has had this problem or knows what I can do to fix it please let me know.

I liked the addition of a phelum spacer on my '02...allowed for a bit better MPG and seemed to add a little more responsiveness, especially after the addition of the intake.

That beings said, I suggest better suspension and tires if you want better performance...sways, endlinks, shocks/springs or coilovers, bushings....

Where can you get a phelum spacer? Is that something you made or bought? And what muffler will give me that deep subie rumble? I'm gonna be ordering uel headers and a highflow cat and doin a 2 1/4 pipe. Is 2 1/4 enough or should I go bigger? I'm gonna be doin a hybrid intake as well.

I built my spacer but I think someone on here was selling on at some point...just search....

All you need is a good performance muffler to get the rumble...you should also be aware that adding substantially more air than stock and almost zero back-pressure exhaust is likely to effect you low end torque and perhaps your idle since the engine will be a bit leaned out....

Tuning will help but I'm unsure how to do that on a '01...

My .02...

I love the idea of sport wagons. You're biggest issue is the weight of that rear area of the car for acceleration and handling. A light weight hood and wheels would free up some of the existing hp. The maybe some better fluids. Pulleys and headers (not sure if they're available for your year) are your best mod to free up more available hp on an auto. Keep the exhaust piping close to stock or you'll loose low end power. Autos are not high rev'ing cars like a manual so you need to keep as much hp/tq down low as possible. If you open the exhaust it "might" add hp but it will come in at a high rpm which won't be very usable. So in normal driving your car will be slower.

I'd focus on an engine swap from a 4th gen 2.5i into your model to add hp. You're older lighter chassis with the newer more powerful 4th engine will make it move nicely.

I love the idea of sport wagons. You're biggest issue is the weight of that rear area of the car for acceleration and handling. A light weight hood and wheels would free up some of the existing hp. The maybe some better fluids. Pulleys and headers (not sure if they're available for your year) are your best mod to free up more available hp on an auto. Keep the exhaust piping close to stock or you'll loose low end power. Autos are not high rev'ing cars like a manual so you need to keep as much hp/tq down low as possible. If you open the exhaust it "might" add hp but it will come in at a high rpm which won't be very usable. So in normal driving your car will be slower.

I'd focus on an engine swap from a 4th gen 2.5i into your model to add hp. You're older lighter chassis with the newer more powerful 4th engine will make it move nicely.

Why not swap in an STI motor if going to the trouble of a swap? And if you're going to that trouble, why not buy a different car altogether? That'd be the cheapest and most reliable way to improve performance.

Yeah - fuggedabout increasing the HP/TQ on the NA 3rd gen 2.5s. A lot of money, limited (if any real, true) power improvements, and a lot of noise. Focus on handling and stopping, that will put a smile on your face every day.

That said, if you must, do an STI conversion, or a WRX conversion. Lotta bang for the buck and excellent supportability.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Why not swap in an STI motor if going to the trouble of a swap? And if you're going to that trouble, why not buy a different car altogether? That'd be the cheapest and most reliable way to improve performance.

Maybe I misread but isn't this an N/A forum not forced induction.

Archived