LegacyGT.com

Quick tire size question

Let me start off by saying this is my first Subaru. I've mainly been into Honda/Acuras for the last 15 years and have messed with little else. That being said, I'm a little older now and have found the way of AWD and now my DA Integra has been placed in the garage for a while.

My Legacy is a '98 L and after a peek on this site for the last month or so has prompted me to lift the Ol Leggy. I went the route of '98 Outback/SUS struts, springs and tophats and got just about 2" from the stock ride height. Now my small 14" rims and tires look a tad too....well...small. I was thinking of keeping the 14" steelies and look for a nice off-road type tire, which brought me to the General Grabber AT2. I've seen them in person, just not in the 27X8.50R14 version. I like the tread of the tire and what I've gathered from a couple different forums, they wear nice as well. My question is, will these beasties fit the stock 14" steelies that I currently run, or will they require a wider rim? I've found them to be the cheapest from Discount Tire Direct, which is most likely where I'll be ordering them from. But, if they won't fit, I don't wanna be left in the lurch with nice tires that I can do nothing with. Any insight into this tires or others that maybe a better route is great appreciated...thanks.

How wide are your wheels? I believe they are 14x6.5 If so they will work they just might be slightly crowned into the wheel giving you possible vibration issues and poor wear. If all else fails you can go to a wider 14" wheel preferably 14x7 or 7.5 if you can find them.

Discount tire will match DTDs price... actually if you call them and tell them that, not only will they order them from general, theythey have a pricematch guarantee and they beat there price. I manage a discount tire in washington and hate when people order from dtd :) so call your local store and have them order them for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

^ +1 on Discount Tire. You also might want to consider, if funds permit, going up a wheel size or two. I have a '98 L and recently swapped out my stock 14" steelies for a set of new 15" wheels while adding a set of new tires. I went from 185/70R14s to 195/60R15s giving me a larger wheel size and tread width without changing the wheel/tire diameter. I could have easily gone up another wheel size, but I didn't want to change the ride feel as much. The difference is handling was immediately evident with the new, higher wheel size.

You can experiment on the DT website easily with 'plus sizing' your wheels/tires without changing the overall diameter. Good luck.

Archived