LegacyGT.com

Questions about my new 2008 Legacy GT

I've had my car three days now and am loving it. I have read most of the manual, and I have a few questions.

1. I noticed that when the climate control system off, I can still feel air coming out of the vents. Sometimes it's warm, sometimes it's cold. It's barely coming out but the temperatures are so extreme that I can feel it quite easily when driving. Is this normal or does something need to be fixed?

2. Is there way to scroll through radio station presets using the steering wheel controls? I can change radio frequencies and change bands, but not access the actual presets I've created.

3. Does Subaru notify you when you need to get your scheduled service? If so, if I switch to synthetic oil, can I go longer between oil changes or are they still going to require me to change it as often as regular oil? Additionally, since I live in Phoenix and it gets really hot during the summer, should I use different oil than 5W-30?

The sales guy at the dealer said a couple of things that I don't believe, but I figured I'd better ask anyway (questions 4 and 5).

4. He said that if you ever have to replace a tire you need to replace all four tires. He said it was because it's AWD. The manual says that if you need to replace a tire that you should get the same kind (radial, etc.), size, brand, and tread pattern. The reason it gives is because not doing so may affect the VDC. However, it didn't say anything about having to replace three perfectly good tires just because one is bad. He was trying to make it sound like you could damage the car. I think he's full of crap, but then I've never owned an AWD car before.

5. He also said that the Limited Warranty of 3/36 covers only defects and that if something breaks during this period it isn't covered, parts or labor. He tried to explain that the parts listed on the service contract weren't covered under the limited warranty from Subaru. I know that sounds like crap, and he tried selling me a 5/60 service plan, which sounded like it would basically bring the bumper-to-bumper warranty up to the factory powertrain warranty. I didn't buy the service plan. He didn't pressure me too much, but I think he was trying to sell me something I didn't need. If they offered a service plan up to 100,000 miles, I might be interested. I'm more concerned about the powertrain holding up than I am the rest of the car. But the 5/60 plan was all they offered.

6. Can the Homelink system replace remotes for gated communities? I live in one and while I have access to the learn button on my garage door, I don't believe such a thing exists for the gate, which I am assuming uses rolling codes too. Has anybody had luck programming their Homelink system for a community gate?

7. What's the anti-slip mat mentioned on the accessories sheet? Neither the website nor the accessory brocure show a photo of it. I remember a while ago seeing a big rubber mat in the cargo area of a Forester. Is that the same thing, or is this something completely different?

8. Are there better floor mats I can use that don't cover up the gas and trunk release levers? The mats the car came with seem really flimsy.

That's all I can think of now. Thanks to anybody who can provide feedback.

in answer to number 8. Get the all weather floormats. I have them here in Chicago and theyre awesome. I wont even switch them out during summer. best 50 bucks spent so far.

question 2 is simply no. Sadly we can only scan with it and not switch through presets

1. It is normal for air flow through your vents while you driving. Set temp on hot and hot air will flow, same with cold. If you want it to stop just hit recirculate button on your climate control, it will stop.

4. There is a debate about changing tires. Prettty much some people say change 4 some change 1. Basically if you poped 1 tire within few month of installations and rest are new you can get by with 1 replacement. If they are 50%- tread change 4.

5. 3/36 warranty covers everything as long as problem not caused by mods.

you can post at thekingofparts.com they are Subaru dealer and know all that stuff about service and warranties. At their forums you can actually post and it will be answered by Subaru service rep

1. It is normal for air flow through your vents while you driving. Set temp on hot and hot air will flow, same with cold. If you want it to stop just hit recirculate button on your climate control, it will stop.

The entire A/C system is off when this happens. Something's forcing air through the vents and it isn't the fan. There's no blowing sound like when the vent is turned on. If I hold my hand about 1-2 inches from any of the vents I can feel heat/coolness eminating from the vents. It gets so warm in the morning that there's no reason to turn the heater on. Strangely, after a while it gets cool. I didn't have to use the air at all this morning because of this.

Othen than this the A/C works beautifully, although I haven't had to use the heater yet. It really hasn't been that cold around here lately.

As you are traveling at speed, air enters the vents and gets "pushed" into the cabin. To stop that from happening, use the recirc button and make sure the selection knob is not set to windshield (that disables the recirculation).

Seeing your 1 and 2 questions brings me back to the days when I first got my car back in August.

1 - not directly related to having the system off, but this auto climate control system sucks. it either blows hot or cold, with seemingly no mid point

2 - the person who decided to have the steering wheel controls scan all stations should be fired. it essentially makes those controls worthless

2. Not that I know of, and I think it's dumb. The up-down buttons just seem to send it seeking.

3. You can get Subaru to send you e-mails about this...

I'd use 10w40 in PHX. I use it here. I'd use it everywhere you're not doing sub-freezing starts.

4. Your BS-meter was right. Your dealer is full of it.

Tires neet to be just be about the same outside diameter (same "size," at least). You CAN burn up the differentials if you use different size tires.

5. Uh... if something breaks, then it's defective. Service contracts are for suckers.

6. I don't see why not... Why don't you ask whoever runs the gates of your community?

7. The anti-slip mat for the cargo area is great: buy it.

8. Yes. The SOA mats suck, despite what someone else has just posted here. Search WeatherTech and Husky.

Ben

I was able to synch up the remote for my garage no problem. However, I can't seem to synch up the gate remote. I guess I'll have to contact them, but it was a pain dealing with them before when I had to get my name added to the directory at the keypad. The remote is about the size of a key fob remote. I'd love to not have to use it.

Also, where can I get good carpeted floor mats? I don't want rubber all-weather mats. It never rains around here.

Also, where can I get good carpeted floor mats? I don't want rubber all-weather mats. It never rains around here.

The SOA carpet floor mats are nice, I think... They're cheap, at least (<$100). Plan on getting new ones every couple years.

Ben

All weather floor mats are the best option you can get - highly recommended.

http://subarublue.com/Legacy/interior/images/interior%20010.jpg

http://subarublue.com/Legacy/interior/images/interior%20026.jpg

http://subarublue.com/Legacy/interior/images/interior%20027.jpg

I've had my car three days now and am loving it. I have read most of the manual, and I have a few questions.

1. I noticed that when the climate control system off, I can still feel air coming out of the vents. Sometimes it's warm, sometimes it's cold. It's barely coming out but the temperatures are so extreme that I can feel it quite easily when driving. Is this normal or does something need to be fixed?

6. Can the Homelink system replace remotes for gated communities? I live in one and while I have access to the learn button on my garage door, I don't believe such a thing exists for the gate, which I am assuming uses rolling codes too. Has anybody had luck programming their Homelink system for a community gate?

With regards to #1, I've never been in a car that didn't behave like this. Even if the fan is off, air will still be forced into the car while you're driving. The others were right to suggest turning on recirculation.

With regards to Homelink, remember that there are two kinds of remotes: fixed code and rolling code. I lived in an apartment complex that used a fixed-code system. That's a no brainer -- all you need is the remote.

For a rolling-code system, you need both the remote and a programming button on the opener itself. If the gate for your community is the rolling-code type, good luck. Those in charge of the gate may have no idea how to do this. It's definitely possible.

Also, I've never put the carpeted mats back in the car. I love the all-weather mats.

same here, took out the carpeted mats out of my car the day i picked it up, they are sitting in my apt and still smell like new even a year later, no feet or shoes have ever trodden on them.

the only downside of the all weather mats (if you can call it a downside) is that girls have complained about getting their high heels stuck in the grooves of my passenger side mats, lol

Anybody have a picture with black floor mats in the tan interior? Or a picture of an aftermarket brand installed?

I'm a little lazy at the moment...

Joe

I can do this tomorrow if no one has replied with pictures...

Don't spray the pressure hoses at the weather mats...it'll cause the rubber ridges to separate from the floor of the mat...luckily...I talked subaru into replacing them a year later...lol

Just adding in my two cents :)

1. I noticed that when the climate control system off, I can still feel air coming out of the vents. Sometimes it's warm, sometimes it's cold.[...]

As others have suggested, this is normal. Set your system to recirc before shutting it off.

3. Does Subaru notify you when you need to get your scheduled service? If so, if I switch to synthetic oil, can I go longer between oil changes or are they still going to require me to change it as often as regular oil?[...]

If you've got the nav system installed it can be configured for either date or mileage service reminders. I wouldn't alter the service intervals at all on a turbo engine - don't think it would be worth it to potentially pit you against the dealer/SOA in the event of a turbo failure.

4. He said that if you ever have to replace a tire you need to replace all four tires. He said it was because it's AWD. The manual says that if you need to replace a tire that you should get the same kind (radial, etc.), size, brand, and tread pattern. The reason it gives is because not doing so may affect the VDC. However, it didn't say anything about having to replace three perfectly good tires just because one is bad. He was trying to make it sound like you could damage the car. I think he's full of crap, but then I've never owned an AWD car before.

You don't necessarily have to replace all of 'em, but they do have to be within a 1/4" diameter all the way around. If you do have a problem with one and you've got some miles on the remaining tires, the new tire ought to be shaved to match the diameter of the others. I'm just assuming that it's a horrible idea to run different types of tires given the center/rear diffs, but I'm not positive on that one.

5. He also said that the Limited Warranty of 3/36 covers only defects and that if something breaks during this period it isn't covered, parts or labor. He tried to explain that the parts listed on the service contract weren't covered under the limited warranty from Subaru. [...] If they offered a service plan up to 100,000 miles, I might be interested.[...]

My dealer gave me an overlay flipbook which details the differences between the standard warranty and the extended one - there's quite a bit more covered. Your dealer apparently also didn't tell you about the 100K warranty, which is what I picked up (100K/7yr/zero deductible). If you're interested and the car's still new (within the first 30 or 60 days - can't remember off the top of my head), you can still go add it onto the car.

BTW - I picked up mine from Joe Spitz who runs cars101.com (in person - his dealership is about 7min from my house). I'm sure if your dealership gave you the runaround you could email him for some help.

Archived