LegacyGT.com

2016 Scion FR-S (and the Subaru clone?) Turbo 4 Door ?

f1anatic

http://wot.motortrend.com/1405_more_details_on_scion_fr_s_turbo_four_door_emerge.html

Even more critical than the sedan’s proportions will be its powertrain. To move the larger, heavier sedan, Toyota is preparing two engines. The flagship version will incorporate a revised version of Subaru’s current-model Legacy 2.0-liter direct injection turbo producing more than 300 hp sending power through an eight-speed automatic transmission.

Given Toyota’s bent for hybrids, you can guess what the other engine variation will be. But according to our source, the boxer-hybrid fitted to Subaru’s XV Crosstrek is not powerful enough for the sedan. So Toyota is readying a hybrid unit that’s compatible to Subaru’s direct-injection boxer engine. To deliver all-wheel drive traction, Toyota is also working on in-wheel electric motors for the front, an addition that will undoubtedly push the price of the hybrid sedan up to around $50,000. The turbo version will precede the hybrid’s launch (by several months), and land in showrooms for around $35,000 by mid-2016.

Some hope and some inherent problems here despite being MotorTrend. There is no current-model Legacy 2.0-liter direct injection turbo, at least not on the North-American market. It will be a massive let down by Subaru in one or more ways.

The 2.0 liter DIT engine has been available in Japan on the Legacy platform for a few years now. It has proved to be a strong engine for them there.

Why do you say that it will be a let down?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well.. I will believe it when I see it.. 4-door, turbo, AWD FT86? I have a real hard time believing that they would change the platform so drastically all in one go.

Next thing you know.. They will say it is a diesel and convertible too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Archived