LegacyGT.com

98 legacy non turbo mods

hey whats up everyone i have a 1998 legacy gt non turbo with and ej25

i have borla headers on it and also a magna flow exhaust done by the good people down at renner motorsports here in inglewood califonia i was wondering what other people have done with there non turbo legacys and also i have some sti coil overs i want to put on this car anytips on that?also where are the other la legacy people at lets have a meet

You might be able to do an MSD ignition swap. You need to buy an MSD coilpack for a Dodge Neon and get a plug from a Neon at a junkyard. Cut the wires on your car and hook up the plug from the Neon, plug the wires into the coil and go. I would use Bosch Platinum +4's with an MSD ignition (Bosch Iridiums would be a good choice too). If you don't want the MSD ignition, you should stick with Platinum +2 plugs since the coil doesn't really have enough juice to make good use out of the extra 2 electrodes.

An underpulley is also an inexpensive bolt on. The biggest gain with that is with throttle response.

An intake is also a good idea, and you can find those anywhere or just make your own by buying a MAF adapter plate at AutoZone and drilling some holes in it to fit your MAF.

If you've got money, and want more mid to upper band power and torque you could go with some nasty cams. Xcceleration makes some hot cams for the EJ25 that make it sound sweet. Nice lopey glubglubglub sound. With your exhaust you're guaranteed a hard on everytime you start the engine. The downside... The cams are $2K! They come with matching springs and titanium retainers.

Perrin makes a universal adapter that you screw into the port for the oil filter, then screw the filter onto the adapter. It has provisions for oil temp and oil pressure sensors for aftermarket guages.

If the car is a stick shift you could bolt up a short throw shifter.

you know what i have seen that site before damn 2k wowzers i can barely put gas in the car right now lol but yeh that would be cool to have those in there i think ill stick with the basics for now right now im thinking about putting some sti coilovers in

The upper strut mounts on the unibody might be the same, if not you can just drill out the mount to fit. The lower mount on the knuckle might be different. If so you have several options. One would be to drill out the struts. This would be easier but might become mis-adjusted while you drive more easily. If you made the holes into slots on the stuts themselves you could adjust the camber from the struts. If you slot out the knuckles they would probably hold out better to hard bumpa, but would cost considerably more to replace if you messed one up. You would also have to worry about alignment, which could be a nightmare since you're mix matching not only two different model vehicles, but two totally different generations. Suspension components may be of similar concept and design, but geomotry could be worlds different...Geomotry is everything. I don't think they make a camber correction kit for 04 STi coilovers to 98 Legacy suspensions. If you slotted the knuckles and/or struts, you could get an alignment and give the guy doing the alignment a heads up that the eccentric bolts might not be enough to get the camber perfect, he might also have to adjust the lower strut mount also. You would also have to measure the knuckle out to see if the slots would need to be angled slightly towards the center of the car to get the camber right. The downside to slotting the holes..... To get it right you're gonna need at least a Bridgeport.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Platinum_Racing the MSD ignition swap, what year neon and they are both a 3 wire plug? Which wires go to which or do the colors match up? And the firing order is the same for both coil packs?

Any of the following cars...

Dodge Neon Non Turbo 1995-2003

Dodge Neon SRT-4 2003-2004

Eagle Talon Non Turbo 1995-1998

Mitsubishi Eclipse Non Turbo 1995-1999

MSD Part #: MSD 8239

The center wire on both coils (Stock and MSD) is +12V. The left wire controls cylinders 1&2 and the right controls cylinders 3&4. Wire the center wire on the Subaru to the center wire on the MSD coil, then wire either wire into either terminal. If the car doesn't run, switch the left and right wires around and she should fire to life.'

You need to make an adapter plate of some sort to mount the MSD coil, but that's not hard. A piece of aluminum should do the trick, as aluminum is rather soft and easy to manipulate/drill holes into ect....

I've had MSD ignitions in several cars, and they work pretty good.

I use one in my 1986 F-150 carbed 300 cubic inch in-line six and it works great. Plenty of pickup and nice "Pop" when the engine is decellerating. It also improves throttle response a tad. The other car I had one on was a 1991 Nissan Sentra that, towards the end of it's life, only ran on 3 cylinders. When the 1.6L motor was in it's prime it helped a bit, but the car was still a panzy.

hey, thanks Platinum_Racing. I will have to do that, just probably not right now. I figured since i have to do a knock sensor on my car it would be a good time to change plugs, wires ect..

Im still doing plugs and wires though (NGK iridiums and some 8.5mm wires I cant remember the name of them) and I'm going to repaint my intake manifold silver since it will be off (its not very clean looking)

But is there anything else that I should probably change since Im going to have the intake manifold off?

If you've got the manifold off anyway you might want to just pull the injectors and soak them in some starting fluid... Remove any deposits on there.

Do you have to pull the manifold to get at the spark plugs on a 98? I heard you need to pull the turbo on some models.

well, no you dont have to pull the manifold to do the plugsand as for the turbo, I dont know as my subie is N/A. but I doneed to pull the manifold for the knock sensor which is throwing a code at me. I believe the fuel filter has been changed once before and its bolted to the drivers side strut tower anyways. cleaning the injectors however, that doesnt seem like a bad idea. would I have to get new o-rings?

Does anyone still make an equal length header for these models? The only ones I can find are unequal length and give the exhaust that WRX "putt-putt" sound that I don't like. I'll probably get kicked off of here for saying that, but oh well lol.

Anyway, I know there used to be a company that made one (Perrin?) that was later copied by OBX, but I can't find either one anywhere, and I'm pretty sure my stock manifolds are leaking somewhere other than the gaskets.

ok as for the port @polish i just got done doing mine....and the cams you will really like....the port and polish you can do yourself...you can get a kit for like 60 from like edelbrock...i love mine...i also have 2.5 cams in my 2.2...and mine lopes like hell... i am some where between a 15.1 to a 14.7 in the 1/2 mile....whick is pretty quick for a ej22 n/a with little motor work done....

Archived