LegacyGT.com

Short Throw Shifter 6MT Install

havanahjoe

I'm thinking of getting an STS for my 08 Spec B. I've been reading a lot of threads on the subject and it seems like most people say that the Subaru STi STS is not worth that much money and I'd be better off getting the Cobb or Kartboy STS.

I am a little intimidated by the install process since the 6MT install adds the complication of the reverse lockout. I'm a little worried about the lockout cable going back into the assembly (I think I should be able to hold it with something to prevent this) and then I read about radicaleddd's issue with the Cobb he was installing.

Does anyone know of a good walk through that works on the Spec B? I've seen the walkthrough that Kartboy links to but that's for an Impreza if I'm not mistaken. I don't know how close the instructions would be to that.

I've also read about replacing the transmission fluid to get better response from the shifter, but my main complaint about mine is that it's tallish and the throws are long.

The suggestions I've read about replacing the knob seem to be for the 5MTs which I guess have longer knobs?

I'm under the impression that installing better bushings is also a good idea. Is this generally true?

Thanks for the help!

it's not as bad as it seems.

it's quite easy...

the only plus thing about the subaru sti sts is that i has a shorter reverse cable linkage...

with the others, you have to zip tie them to make sure they dont rub on the drive shaft ~

So the reverse cable linkage has to be replaced? Is that done at the shifter only or does it require fishing the cable through other places?

I would think the Subaru sts would be the most compatible one, but at twice the cost it makes me want to keep the other ones as options along my decision process.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have to replace the cable. I had the Cobb sts in my old STi before, and like the other guy said "you just have to zip tie it."

Yes you should replace the bushings. That will make shifting feel much better.

IMO tho, the STi sts look way more complicated with all that linkage and stuff. I'm about to get a Cobb or KartBoy.

Does anyone know if you can use a stock STi shifter from an 08? Cuz the 08 STi shifter feel so nice and short.

Oh and if someone do have a walkthrough then please post it up.(I try to pull the shift boot off but feels like it'll slap in half, so I stop pulling on it.)

Here's the deal... There's nothing wrong with a kartboy or cobb STS in the 5MT, but they'll eventually cause problems with your 6MT. They weren't really designed for our transmissions, they were more of an afterthought. I know too many people that have snapped cables, worn bushings and caused tranny damage due to replacing the shift arm alone.

The few extra dollars you'll pay for the SPT STS are well worth it when you consider the potential for destroying a 2 year old trans. Besides, as was already mentioned, Subaru will still cover your tranny under warranty with the SPT unit.

Thanks for the tips. I know that a lot of people on the board have used the Kartboy or Cobb STS on their GTs but I don't remember reading about many Spec B owners using them.

Keeping the warranty is definitely a plus. Now the question would be, is the SPT STS easily installed like the others? I called the local dealer I get my oil changed at (Kearny Mesa Subaru) and they quoted me $250 to install the STS! I don't know if that's decent but it seems too high for me.

I've never done any mechanical work on any of my cars, I've always limited my involvement to whatever is around the radio :p

Anyone know of good shops in San Diego that will do this kind of work? And then the question would be, if I get the SPT STS installed at another location, will this void the warranty?

Thanks!

Here's the deal... There's nothing wrong with a kartboy or cobb STS in the 5MT, but they'll eventually cause problems with your 6MT. They weren't really designed for our transmissions, they were more of an afterthought. I know too many people that have snapped cables, worn bushings and caused tranny damage due to replacing the shift arm alone.

The few extra dollars you'll pay for the SPT STS are well worth it when you consider the potential for destroying a 2 year old trans. Besides, as was already mentioned, Subaru will still cover your tranny under warranty with the SPT unit.

I don't know man. I have the Cobb sts in my STi for 3 years and never have any prob.

Here you go. The install instructions are for the STi but the install will be the same.

This is the best written walk through on how to deal with the reverse lockout that I've seen.

Good luck.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/kartboy_sti_short_shifter-t3785.html?p=13060

Thanks for the link. That was the first walk through I saw for an STS. It does talk a lot about the reverse lockout and how to make sure you are able to put it back on.

The Subaru STS looks a lot more complex than the Kartboy STS:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/catalog/5-short-throw-shifter.jpg

image_01_600.jpg

Why is that? Is it because with the Kartboy you just re-use some power train components that are replaced with the Subaru one?

Don't know. I would think that the Subaru one is the entire linkage, etc.

Kartboy is just the STS and bushings. I went with the Kartboy STS and bushings. Running it for about 2 years now and love it.

With the kartboy STS, you are only adding a shorter shift arm. The SPT unit actually takes in consideration all aspects of the shift linkage and has redesigned the entire geometry of ALL components based on the desired shift pattern.

The kartboy / cobb STS are quality machined parts, but do not have the same nice oem feel that the SPT unit does.

The Cobb or the kartboy sts are longer at the lower shaft and shorter on the upper. That's why is up to 60% for Cobb and 40% for kb shorter shift then stock. Not just a shorter stick. Plus I don't see the reason why spend all that money on the spt/sti one just because it comes with the linkage. All the syncro are still the same.

Archived