LegacyGT.com

Parrot MultiCAN uses existing steering wheel controls to control Parrot Bluetooth

havanahjoe

• 8 months later...

I don't see any reason the Parrot Multicomm shouldn't work with Subarus. It simply taps into one of the car's steering wheel interface wires. Subaru has a smaller percentage of the car market, so they tend to be towards the bottom of the development list for companies like Parrot.

I checked Parrot's Multicomm docs for Mazda, Nissan, and Hyundai, and all three show the same part numbers (e.g., PI1090003AA for the CK3000 Evolution).

I didn't dig deep enough to see if there's some kind of "learning" procedure (like with PAC's steering wheel interfaces for head units), but there's bound to be since these different auto makes/models use different resistor values.

On cars whose steering wheels don't have phone-specific buttons (only have radio functions, like on Subarus), the Multicomm requires a lot of "push volume + then immediately push volume -" gyrations. Kinda kludgy if you ask me.

That Unika device is interesting. The manual seems to indicate that it should work with a broad range of steering wheel controls.

If you go here:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/support/onlinehelpguides/unika

They have a vehicle selector. If you select a Subaru Legacy newer than 1995, it tells you that you need a special harness for the Mki install. It doesn't say that the Unika device is compatible, but it doesn't say it isn't either.

After having my Mki9100 for some time, I don't really feel the need to have the steering wheel controls work with the Parrot kit. All I really need is to re-route the audio through the HU so that I can control the volume with the Steering Wheel controls. I haven't gotten around to doing that.

All I really need is to re-route the audio through the HU so that I can control the volume with the Steering Wheel controls.

Good observation. I'll have to remember that.

I think I'm over thinking this whole install. I would like to avoid having an aftermarket controller, but it may not be very simple with the oem radio.

Any other observations havanahjoe? I feel your experience applies since we have the same controls and HU.

Good observation. I'll have to remember that.

I think I'm over thinking this whole install. I would like to avoid having an aftermarket controller, but it may not be very simple with the oem radio.

Any other observations havanahjoe? I feel your experience applies since we have the same controls and HU.

I've learned to deal with the remote. It fails a lot and I have to press next many times for example to move to the next song when playing the iPod, but it does a good job. The latest version fixed a few things, like it now remembers if the iPod was paused when the car was turned off and it won't start playing unless I press Play.

I still don't like how it takes a while for the Parrot to shut down after I turn the ignition off, but this would also be fixed if I stopped using the amp in the Parrot blue box and routed the audio through the HU.

Where did you install your screen? I still have not installed mine, I have it inside the glove box and have gotten used to not looking at it. I guess I could have just bought an Mki9000 :p

I also have not re-routed the cables, they also lie inside the glove box through the owner's manual opening. Since I only use them for the iPod they work well there, the only problem is they rattle sometimes.

Most of my issues are due to the fact that the music is played through the Parrot, so I can't control the volume with the steering wheel, the navigation doesn't mute the music and the audio keeps playing several seconds after turning the ignition off.

Other than that, I like the system a lot. I use it for A2DP and it works well with my Blackberry and my HTC Hero. With the Hero the remote even controls the music player, but not with the Blackberry.

I just keep my remote in one of the cup holders.

If you go here:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/support/onlinehelpguides/unika

They have a vehicle selector. If you select a Subaru Legacy newer than 1995, it tells you that you need a special harness for the Mki install. It doesn't say that the Unika device is compatible, but it doesn't say it isn't either.

If you're talking about their reference to the "PC000044AA" adaptor, that's the normal ISO-to-Subaru (14-pin) harness adapter for Parrots. That doesn't tie into the "i85" harness for the steering wheel wires.

I bet they tell you to just vampire-tap into the car's SWC wires. I've built a "breakout" adapter that will allow tying into the "i85" SWC/aux harness. See this post.

The UNIKA installation doc does say that it "learns" the SWC buttons. So it should work with Subarus.

I think I read that the UNIKA's V1 and V2 wires are the ones you tap into the car's SWC wires.

My board allows you to pass through any wires you'd like to still be connected, interrupt any others, and tap any of those. So for the UNIKA you'd pass through all of the wires (including the aux in) and tap the SWCs.

People with 2005/2006 can use it to connect a Parrot to the OEM HU's phone audio input (so no need for the expensive ISO-to-Subaru adapter). But you'd only want that for phone calls, not the newer models that can stream music.

For the latter on 2005/2006, you might be able to throw in the Jazzy mod (or one of the similar DIY mods) to route music into that aux input.

^^Thank you for this concise clarification on the difference between the two HU's.

I'm going to go for the mki9000 and iso adapter for now (we have a law coming into effect in January). Maybe down the road I'll try to find the UNIKA, but it seems pricey and hard to source.

SVXdc, how would I purchase one of your boards?

Archived