LegacyGT.com

What is THIS and why is it causing this noise!!??

Dan007CT

I have 2.5i mt with 115K miles on it and last week it started making a high freq noise that sounds like a pulley BUT it only does it on the 1st start of the day or if it sits for 6 hrs.. AND the noise goes away if I push the clutch pedal in... if I let the pedal back out it makes the noise again, and it only lasts for about 10 mins. I tracked down this noise to this part that moves under the hood when the clutch pedal is pressed in. All I have to do to stop the noise is put a small amount of pressure on this thing and it goes away. I know a little about cars but I don't do a lot of my own fixing.

Thanks in advancesubaru1.thumb.jpg.f6e206b03305bce6ab4b82b888e7ec01.jpg

subaru2.thumb.jpg.1514bd276b1dc151e4c817cdcfebcd25.jpg!

Dan

I'm afraid what you've circled probably isn't the real problem. Chances are your clutch release bearing (or throw out bearing) is starting to die. Same thing happened to me at 97k, I'd start shopping for a new clutch. If you're thinking about having the dealer do the job, know they charged me $1362 out the door.

Usually people replace the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel (or resurface if smfw) since you are going through all the work of seperating the trans anyhow. You don't NEED to tho if you inspect everything and it looks good.

And if you're getting it done professionally, I'd definitely recommend it and be set for awhile. Also, get it done at a subaru specific tuner shop instead of a stealership. It'll be quicker, cheaper, and more likely to do a better job. There are tons up in CT.

Archived