LegacyGT.com

eng misfire when warm with new timing belt

Let me ask this. While orienting the cams the drivers side cam had a springy feel to it as i would bring the mark on pulley to 12 o'clock position if I wasn't careful it would snap fwd or backward 30 degrees. Passenger side was nothing like this. So is that normal or definitely bent valves.

Let me ask this. While orienting the cams the drivers side cam had a springy feel to it as i would bring the mark on pulley to 12 o'clock position if I wasn't careful it would snap fwd or backward 30 degrees. Passenger side was nothing like this. So is that normal or definitely bent valves.

The right side is spring loaded.

The left side isn't.

This is the same event for the dual cam EJs.

If you have aligned the engine perfectly, got it to run in perfect timing, & you're still having engine problems, then as John says, you may have bent valves.

Post up pics of how you're aligning the cam wheels.

Wish I had thought to take pics. I only hav a crude drawing. And I can't figure out how to attach pic to this post. It shows on passenger side cam the the notch on pulley is slightly to left of notch on case notch. The reason for that is the lines on belt r off by half a tooth on pulley. Thinking back guess I shouldnt hav focused so much on not so accurate marks but the the notches on pulley. All other lines matched up. For the most part.

Ive had cars at the shop that were interference engines with broken timing belts that didn't bend valves. Not saying it won't happen because in most cases they will bend when the belt breaks. One thing I haven't seen posted, if the valves were bent it would have a misfire all of the time, not just when the engine is at temp.

It may hav slight miss when cold. Definitely has miss when warm. Has normal driveablity and power when moving but idle quality is where we notice miss. P0301 misfire #1cylinder code shows up when we idle in gear. Last night we got out book and did tooth count. From crank center point mark to drivers cam. 40.5 teeth. Then to passengers side cam 44 gaps between teeth on belt. . The result r what I just mentioned in this post. I feel we're so close but its not right. Plugs all

Look like good burn. Nothing very obviously wrong visually.

Cost of repairs will vary. It will not be cheap. The belt can be confusing to line up if it's your first time doing one. I have always had to set the LH intake cam gear off a tooth so when the tensioner was released all of the marks lined up. Otherwise if you have them lined up before the tensioner is released you will have one to two gears off a tooth. Most 4 cam engines are like this.

Archived