LegacyGT.com

Oscillating noise at 50-55 mph

mstgofstr

I bought this car last fall, and this noise has been present since I got it. Thinking it would get worse (and easier to diagnose) I waited a while before going back to Subaru. I bought the car with a Subaru used car warranty. It's an '07 Spec B. The warranty expires in Oct 2012, so in I go yesterday. I explain this oscilatting noise/vibration occurs only between 50-55mph, isn't felt in the steering wheel, but if you rest a foot on the clutch or brake pedal, its easily felt. Any other speeds, the car feels great. I tell them the noise did not change when I had my snows on during winter, snows on dedicated Amp rims. The wheel bearing swerve test has no impact on the noise, however accelerating makes it stop, coasting from 55 to 50 makes it a little louder. Pushing the clutch in has no effect, the gear has no effect either.

Their diagnosis: they tell me my tires are the problem. I reiterate that the noise/vibration was present with other rims/tires on the car, they maintain they can't do anything until new tires are installed.

Today I install new tires (mine were almost worn out anyway), no change. So, I write here hoping someone has experienced the same thing and can detail what was done to correct the problem.

Thanks,

Todd

• 1 month later...

Update: this car has been at the local dealer now for a month. They called me periodically, they were going to change the transmission, then they were going fix the transmission, then they were sending the transmisison 400km's away to be fixed.......etc..etc.

Today, I get a call telling me they installed someone elses snow tires on rims and the noise is gone. So they tell me its my problem now, the car is fine.

To recap: my 3 different brands of tires on 2 different styles/sizes of wheels made the EXACT same noise, but now that they have found tires that mask the issue, all is well.

The warranty ends in 3 weeks. I have the impression they just want to get me out the door.

Has anyone ever had tires that made an oscillating noise at at one single speed level and were fine at all other speeds?

Thanks,

Todd

Bad wheel bearings, unbalanced wheels, and problematic tires will all make noises at a certain speed and higher (often 45+ mph), and a number of suspension and steering problems only make noticeable noise at very low speeds, but I'm not familiar with any problems that make noise at a specific speed range, and not slower or faster.

Have you gotten your car back and confirmed that the noise is gone with the different wheel/tires, or do you just have the dealers verbal statement that it's "fixed"? Is there another dealer near you that can look into it while the warranty is still valid?

I'm going to get it tomorrow. We'll be doing a road test. I hear you about the 50 and up with tires. From 60mph to 120 this car is smooth as glass, and that was the same with 3 different sets of tires. Even at 55 when the noise is worst, you can't feel it in the steering wheel. It can't be heard/felt in the back seat, only the driver can hear it.

Todd

After the last update, I told them I wanted to drive any car with my tires on it and hear the same noise.....my tires were of course silent on other cars.

Next day they changed the left front wheel bearing, and the noise is gone. Only took 5 weeks. Thankfully I did have a loaner and Subaru of Canada is covering it all.

I've never had bearing make a noise like this, was very strange. Live and learn I guess.

Todd

After the last update, I told them I wanted to drive any car with my tires on it and hear the same noise.....my tires were of course silent on other cars.

Next day they changed the left front wheel bearing, and the noise is gone. Only took 5 weeks. Thankfully I did have a loaner and Subaru of Canada is covering it all.

I've never had bearing make a noise like this, was very strange. Live and learn I guess.

Todd

Glad it worked out. These bearings do make weird noises when they go. We've replaced a few and never thought hey were bad but had exhausted all other options.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived