LegacyGT.com

Standard checks/updates to make sure engine is 100%?

2005 GT wagon now has 115k on the clock. I bought it in 2013 with 73k. Hasn't given me any engine related problems and I have been methodical about oil changes and other maintenance.

I do have a few small (hopefully) concerns. First, it sometimes has a minor rough idle. Not as bad as I've felt in other cars but definitely not completely smooth. Second, it feels like the engine shakes a bit when I let off the gas. For example, driving in 3rd @~30 mph and coming up to a red light. Foot off the gas, depress the clutch, and the engine will "wobble" side to side a few times before calming down.

I wanted to get some thoughts on first level checks to address the above issues and also make sure my aging engine is running as well as it can. I'm thinking:

- Compression + Leakdown (done @105k w/good results)

- Replace spark plugs (done at 105k)

- Vacuum leak check

- Boost leak check

- Clean/replace MAF (how do I tell if cleaning is enough?)

- Replace oil control valves (which ones?)

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks

The shaking from side to side can be caused by worn engine mounts.

Since you have an 05 I would check the banjo bolt filter that leads to the turbo and remove it.

Also make sure that you have an decatted up pipe that leads to your turbo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I removed the banjo bolt and replaced the up-pipe shortly after buying the car thanks to the great info on this forum.

The engine, pitch stop, and trans mounts were all replaced with Group N at 105k, as I also had a feeling the engine mounts were to blame. It helped slightly but definitely didn't make the shake disappear completely.

0.1. Log the behavior and send it to tuning alliance of cryotune.

1. Boost leak test. Pre and post turbo.

2. Check your blow off valve make sure its doing ok.

3. Clean your maf, reset the ecu.

4. Replace your maf, reset the ecu

5. replace your front o2.

6. Upgrade to sti fuel pressure regulator.

A lot of the vf40's last about 120-130,000 miles. You may want to check it for shaft play. We also recommend a 3" down pipe and tune for that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A couple of bottles of fuel injector cleaner could help with the rough idle if you have an injector starting to get dirty.

Also a boost leak test would be good. The turbo inlet tube has been known to crack/leak with age and could cause a rough idle. Also, the BPV is also know to leak at the gasket/o-ring. Small intake leaks on these cars cause it to do weird things.

Archived