LegacyGT.com

Subaru Outback vs Audi A3 vs BMW X1 vs Ford Escape

pfoyle

So my sister is doing some car shopping for the near future, and is considering the 4 cars listed in the title. She asked my opinions, so I figured I'd throw it out there to this community for info/advice.

So far I've told her:

- the AWD for Audi/Subie is superior to the others, and this is a big factor for her, living in New York and travelling to VT for skiing.

- the A3 is probably smaller than the Outback and (related) is probably more fun to drive than the Outback.

- New Outback would be approx same price as pre-owned A3/X1 and thus probably more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

- I assume the Audi/BMW would be nicer inside, but that she could get more options for the same price on Subie/Ford...

What else would you add to the discussion? What else should she be thinking about? Any other cars she should consider? Thanks in advance for any info/help/advice!

Audi A3 AWD is similar to basic Subaru AWD found on 2.5i Outbacks.

Probably similar to all others except BMW that probably has more torque to the rear.

If she needs car with superior AWD then nothing beats DCCD from STI. Otherwise they are comparable.

Krzys

The Escape is a great dependable little suv for the money! My wife drives an 02 and have not had to put any money into it except normal maint and upkeep (150k on the odo)! Women tend to find them comfortable however I don't but that is just me I am picky and have sat in luxury cars that I found uncomfortable!

The Escape is a great dependable little suv for the money! My wife drives an 02 and have not had to put any money into it except normal maint and upkeep (150k on the odo)! Women tend to find them comfortable however I don't but that is just me I am picky and have sat in luxury cars that I found uncomfortable!

My wife drives an 05 Mariner and has never had a problem. 20mpg hwy with the 3.0L AWD.

The Outback seems a little.. out of class? Not out-classed per say, but the A3 and X1 are so much smaller.. The escape is still quite a bit smaller than an outback. So it's going to come down to does she want a lifted wagon, or a hatchback/CUV.

That being said, the escapes can be outfitted to be very very nice nowadays. The X1 beats it with fit and finish. Sitting in an X1 is like sitting in the 3 series sedan. Nice little cars. As for the A3.. I have no practical experience to speak from, however I do like the look of them.

Thanks everyone for your info/opinions! She's just beginning her search, so I'm not sure how she decided on these as the options... She just started asking me a few questions about it, as she knows I like cars, and I figured I'd throw the questions to you guys for more opinions!

My guess would be that if there were still Legacy wagons available, that would be on the list as opposed to the Outback, but that she decided on the OB as the "next best" alternative... She's also considering the Audi Allroad...

Sounds like her needs are a good AWD vehicle that can get her to the mountains of VT, but since she lives in Manhattan she wants something a bit smaller than your typical SUV/crossover... She's always had a weakness for Audi's (we were an Audi family for awhile dad-A4, sis-Q5, me-S4) but is weighing the plusses and minuses of buying CPO Audi vs. new Subie...

Thanks everyone for your info/opinions! She's just beginning her search, so I'm not sure how she decided on these as the options... She just started asking me a few questions about it, as she knows I like cars, and I figured I'd throw the questions to you guys for more opinions!

My guess would be that if there were still Legacy wagons available, that would be on the list as opposed to the Outback, but that she decided on the OB as the "next best" alternative... She's also considering the Audi Allroad...

Sounds like her needs are a good AWD vehicle that can get her to the mountains of VT, but since she lives in Manhattan she wants something a bit smaller than your typical SUV/crossover... She's always had a weakness for Audi's (we were an Audi family for awhile dad-A4, sis-Q5, me-S4) but is weighing the plusses and minuses of buying CPO Audi vs. new Subie...

The escape may be the best bet size wise as it has a small wheelbase and it is extreamely easy to park it tight spaces. All honesty our Escape has the V6 and though it is only the FWD model I have to remember to take it easy when I hit the gas because it I try to floor it from a dead stop I sphe tires! Which results in me getting bit@hed at by the wife for beating on her car!:rolleyes:

The big thing I haven't seen mentioned is money. How much is she willing to spend up front, and how much is she willing to spend for maintenance? The A3 and BMW will have significantly higher long term running costs. Escape and Outback will be lower, though if the Outback is an XT it might split the difference between the Germans and the Ford.

Based solely on personal car preferences, I'd go with either the Outback or the A3. I think the X1 is completely ridiculous (I ridicule every single one I see), and the Escape just lacks any excitement whatsoever. Since she's looking at the A3 and X1, I get the impression that curb appeal may play a part in the decision, in which case I'd say drop the Outback and go with the Audi. As long as the running costs aren't an issue.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Certainly $$$ is always a factor, but I don't think it's the main dealbreaker. My impression was she'd be looking at a CPO Audi/BMW vs. new Subie/Ford/other... So all would have a reasonable warranty attached, but obviously a better one for the new cars. I also think she's pretty set on AWD for winter mountain trips, so the V6 FWD Escape that loses traction on dry pavement doesn't sound like a contender! :lol:

:lol: Wasn't suggesting that a Fwd should be a contender, just stating that the Escape has the get up and go which still catches me by surprise whenever I drive it! Having owned it for 10 years I am still surprised how little it has cost me.

AWD really doesnt mean anything when it comes to winter conditions - it might get you up a hill faster but thats about it. You wouldnt believe the amount of SUV's you see upside down on 70 in CO over the winter. I shit my pants if a storm rolls in and my legacy has its summers on and I need to go over the pass.

Its all about the tires, if shes goes up to VT a lot get some snows.

And, you cant beat that new car warranty. I would be pretty nervous about owning a newer Audi out of warranty - my boss had one of those allroads, apparently they all get suspension problems that cost about 3k to fix. My buddy got quoted $1500 bucks to replace his friggin headlights!

I've always heard stories of horrendous reliability whenever the Allroad is mentioned

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

The Allroad has been completely redone. No more 2.7T engine. There isn't much data on the new model but I suspect it will be much more reliable than previous Allroad's (though maybe not as fun to drive but more reliable).

Joe

A coworker recently purchased an Escape. Ive been in it for short trips. Its got AWD, with a turbo. It's a little bigger than a CRV, and another coworker has a 2012/13 as well. The Escape is roomier and quieter. The Ford edges the Honda on technology.

How many years does she keep cars? If its a short time, then the Audi may be an option before maintenance overwhelms.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in! New development: Sounds like she is probably gonna take my late mother's Forester off my dad's hands. It mostly just sits in his garage and doesn't get used much. It's a 2003 with 113k miles, but we just had it checked out by our Subaru dealership and they didn't find any noticeable problems. Hard to argue with free! She'll hopefully get a few years of use out of it, and then be in a better position to buy something new/perfect a little ways down the road.

Archived