LegacyGT.com

Am I a fool to trade down to 05 LGT MAN RGP?

I have a 2011 Legacy 2.5i manual with 37k. Am I nuts to trade down to an 05 LGT manual RGP with 130K and a new turbo with an oil leak and a body that need a little work? Small dent in door and underside of front bumper beat up from bottoming out. I think I can get it for 9-10k and maybe get 13.5 on my legacy on a trade or 16.5 on a private sale.

I don't think so. Yea Downgrading to a previous model will feel a bit weird since the 11 looks bigger bulkier to the 05 but since it's a 2.5i I would for sure do it. BTW enjoy the Gas milage on the 2011 for the time being. Once you go Turbo your wallet becomes much lighters.

I've had the chance to drive both the Legacy GT wagon (wife's) and a 2011 2.5 Premium (mom's) with the CVT rather extensively. I think the older Legacy GT's are superior in handling (with the obvious trade off in lower ride height), power (once again, obviously), but most importantly overall driveability, especially on the highway. Now I know you have the manual, but I wouldn't wish the CVT on my worst enemy when it comes to highway use! On any slight hill the engine is revving to 4k+ rpm's, and passing requires more planning than the invasion of Pearl Harbor.

The GT otoh is SO nice and relaxed on the highway. It just sits there nicely at 80mph and 3k rpm's cruising right along. Hill's or even mountain passes are no problem, and passing is a breeze. Yes, the car does require premium fuel, and it does get a few less mpg, but this is a fair trade off for a much more fun to drive car imo. That being said, keeping out of the turbo can yield some great city mpg. My wife's best was 23 mpg, although she averages 20 mpg for the most part.

Keep in mind my opinion of the two cars might be unfairly flawed because of the altitude I live at, which is in the range of 6,000-7,000 feet. The non aspirated 2.5's at this level are laughably slow, and even in the city have to rev high almost constantly to make any sort of power. Turbos here are a Godsend.

If I were you, I'd keep my eye out for a lower mileage GT though. Unless that one is in great shape and has impeccable service records, there will be something better out there.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully will sell the legacy privately. Never done that before. Don't see many LGT RGP manuals around, I think they made 57 with tan interior and 58 with black. I prefer black. I am so looking for something fun to drive. Originally had a 2011 outback manual but subaru recalled it on me cause it was stalling (aparently it was one of the ones that they forgot to put a lube hole in the factory so there wasn't lube in the transmission. Anyway they replaced the car but wouldn't give me another manual cause at the time they had not figured out the problem. So in December I traded down to the legacy cause I couldn't take the CVT, plus needed to solve a cash flow problem. Walked away with $3800 and a sore bunghole from the raping. They didn't have any turbos at the time so that is where I sit. Want a turbo manual so bad but I want it stock and OBP or RGP with black interior limited. Looked for members selling and no one has that. Gonna try to take my time this time but the 05 gt manual popped up in RGP with tan that has a new turbo. Very tempting but the dealer hasn't priced it yet. So torn cause the body is a little rough and the interior too but they hadn't cleaned it up at all so it looked like crap and I saw an oil leak. Gonna go back after they go over the car, they say there are records but I haven't seen them yet and the Turbo was put in by an independent mechanic whom I know nothing about. Ack!

Patience Grasshopper.

But, plenty of reasons to go with a turbo w/manual...expect much higher gas bills, but waay more fun. And more power begs for more sophiticated suspension. It will be a journey that doesn't stop with the purchase of the car. Bilsteins or Koni's, swaybars, etc, etc, etc. kaching

I would wait for this kind of ad: "selling grandmother's Subaru Legacy GT spec B. Driven to church and grocery store only. Apparently hasn't been rev'ed over 4000rpm since new. Oil changed annually 5-6 times, even though total mileage is 20,000. Hip replacement forces sell."

Not sure if there is a magical mileage with these cars. Many folks on this board have blown turbo's>ruined engine and had plethora of other problems <100k.

Our LGT:

0-100k, only a wheel bearing failed(covered by SOA program) and front caliper seized x2

100k-145k present: throw out bearing failure/new clutch. Also alternator, starter. A very occasional miss skip in power every few weeks.

Pure luck of the draw. However I see no reason we can't go another 5 years with ours.

Archived