LegacyGT.com

2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited Performance Question

bsfiosco

Hi,

First time posting here and I wanted to see if you guys had any insight into my issue. I apologize for the long post in advance and thank you for taking the time to read it.

About a month ago I purchased a 2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited and it never felt right. The car I test drove felt amazing but the only car they had on the lot with my options was the one in the showroom which was manufactured in June 2012 which I ended up getting.

The first morning after I got the car I felt it shudder when it would downshift when slowing down and sometimes would make a thud shortly after stopping. I also found that it would hunt for a gear when slowing down to a near stop and then accelerating (like slowing down in stop and go traffic or when approaching a red light that then turns green). It also seemed like the overdrive didn't always engage on the highway. Sometimes at 70 MPH when coasting the RPMs were at about 1.5k and other times they seemed to lock in the 3-4k range. I mentioned this to the salesman and before I could even get the car in it broke down heading into work.

The transmission disengaged and the car threw an error for AT Fluid high temp. They took the car to the dealership and said there was a TCU software flash they needed to apply and that is why the transmission disengaged.

When this first happened I found a forum with a lot of people complaining about similar issues in their 2010-2012 3.6 Legacy and Outback cars. Here is a link to that forum if you are interested in looking into it.

For the last few weeks I have been driving the car and it still doesn't seem right. After a lot of back and forth with the dealership they are willing to get me into a different car.

I traded in my 2004 WRX which I never had any issues with when I got the Legacy. I now have the option of either getting another 3.6 Legacy or a new 2013 WRX. I could get any other Subaru but I don't want a CVT transmission so those are my only real options.

The dealership keeps claiming that all the 2013 Legacy cars have a ride similar to mine. They did let me drive another Legacy that was manufactured more recently and it felt like the car I test drove. They claim however that over time the adaptive nature of the transmission will make the cars all feel the way mine does to some measure.

Can any of the 2013 3.6R Legacy owners out there let me know if you've had similar issues with your car? I am trying to determine if my car was in fact a lemon with similar issues to the 2010-2012 3.6's or if this is just how they all eventually end up riding. I need to make a decision and notify the dealership soon so any input you have would be great.

When you say broke down, what do you mean? Car wouldn't start?

I just bought a 2013 3.6R, not sure on the manuf date. Only drove about 60 miles on it myself, car had 200 miles when I bought it. It was driven down from a warehouse.

How did the car react when using the shifters?

I would have snatched up a WRX if they still offered an automatic. And the BRZ just doesn't have enough oomph. No CVT for me either.

If this car felt different from the one you drove, then I'd have the dealer swap out for another 3.6R and check the manuf date before taking it, if that is a concern.

I'll post with an issues if I have any.

Seems similar to alot of peoples issues with the 3.6r and the 5EAT, I myself have found issues with slowing to a stop and getting the 2nd to 1st downshift slam, and also alittle bit of gear hunting when heading up an incline. I have not taken it in yet, but I plan to soon. my car has 50k on it though, and may just need a trans flush.

When you say broke down, what do you mean? Car wouldn't start?

I was driving to work on the 3rd day having the car and the transmission disabled itself. It behaved like it was in neutral. I dropped it to neutral and back into drive and no response. I pulled to the shoulder and shut off the car and waited a couple minutes. When i turned it back on the transmission engaged again but there was then a CEL on and since i was only a mile or so from work I crawled the last little bit into work before getting the roadside assistance.

After they reflashed the ECU this particular issue did not happen again but all the other performance issues still existed so I was confident there was still a problem.

Seems similar to alot of peoples issues with the 3.6r and the 5EAT, I myself have found issues with slowing to a stop and getting the 2nd to 1st downshift slam, and also alittle bit of gear hunting when heading up an incline. I have not taken it in yet, but I plan to soon. my car has 50k on it though, and may just need a trans flush.

I have not searched the threads extensively given my time constraints and the specifics of my issues. That being said are there still a lot of people complaining about the 2nd to 1st downshift slam and gear hunting on the 2013 3.6R's?

Your car issues definitely sounds like what i have been experiencing with mine. In addition to the downshift slam I also get shuttering as it down shifts and sometimes it shutters after I come to a complete stop.

Do you find that your RPM's fluctuate when cruising at say 65-75 MPH when you take your foot off the gas? Sometimes mine drop to near idle other times they stay up in the 3-4k RPM range.

I have not searched the threads extensively given my time constraints and the specifics of my issues. That being said are there still a lot of people complaining about the 2nd to 1st downshift slam and gear hunting on the 2013 3.6R's?

Your car issues definitely sounds like what i have been experiencing with mine. In addition to the downshift slam I also get shuttering as it down shifts and sometimes it shutters after I come to a complete stop.

Do you find that your RPM's fluctuate when cruising at say 65-75 MPH when you take your foot off the gas? Sometimes mine drop to near idle other times they stay up in the 3-4k RPM range.

I have not had any problems at cruising speeds. My car has a mysterious shudder but not at a shifting point, and that is another issue for me though, I have had the diff fluids changed, tires balanced and an alignment and i shudders sometimes but mostly going up hills almost as if my driving a car up a hill in 5th gear at 20mph. Cruising speed is about the only time my car seems to ride normal to me.

How did the car react when using the shifters?

The car seems fine when I use the shifters. It only starts shuddering and dropping hard into gear when it's being controlled by the ECU.

I would have snatched up a WRX if they still offered an automatic. And the BRZ just doesn't have enough oomph. No CVT for me either.

If this car felt different from the one you drove, then I'd have the dealer swap out for another 3.6R and check the manuf date before taking it, if that is a concern.

I have gotten the dealership and SOA to agree to get me a different car. As I mentioned they claim all of the 3.6R's have these performance characteristics and they feel that I will not be happy with another because it will eventually feel the same way.

If the WRX came in an automatic it would make my decision a little easier. I am now trying to decide if I should get a different 3.6R or go back to a 5sp manual WRX like I had before. I loved the last WRX and it had only two minor issues under $500 in the 10 years I had it but I'm not sure if I want to go back to a manual. Plus I'd miss out on all of the nice features in the Legacy.

It's a tough decision for me but if there are still a lot of others with this issue in a 2013 3.6R I'd be more inclined to go back to a manual then take my chances and get stuck with a car that has performance issues that will drive me crazy for the next 6 to 10 years.

Auto WRX?? I WISH!! 2007 was the last year? My wife wanted one so badly.

Re: the tranny issues. My 2.5i Impreza would slam hard into 2nd or 3rd gear in the mornings, even after warming up for a few. The ECU flashed corrected that, it did it every once in a while still, but we are talking maybe once every few months if that.

Fingers crossed I don't face these issues. My 5eat 07 GT is toally fine. I get the shudder every now and them after a long hot drive and try to get up a hill.

Auto WRX?? I WISH!! 2007 was the last year? My wife wanted one so badly.

Re: the tranny issues. My 2.5i Impreza would slam hard into 2nd or 3rd gear in the mornings, even after warming up for a few. The ECU flashed corrected that, it did it every once in a while still, but we are talking maybe once every few months if that.

Fingers crossed I don't face these issues. My 5eat 07 GT is toally fine. I get the shudder every now and them after a long hot drive and try to get up a hill.

They had the WRX auto in 2008... then in 2009, the WRX auto became the 2.5GT... now it is totally gone.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

^^^. May it rest in peace, hopefully op you have been provided with enough info to make your decision with. :)

Yes all of your input has been great. It would have been nice to hear from a few more 2013 3.6R owners but I am getting the impression that it could be hit or miss with the performance issues.

I am going to be taking out one more 3.6R and a WRX/STI for a test drive and then I will make my final decision. Unfortunately in this situation the replacement will come from the factory so I can't test drive the actual replacement and then decide on which rides better before making my decision based on the ride of the actual car I will be receiving.

Thanks again for your time. I will be making the decision in the next day or two tops so if there are any other members that can comment on their 3.6R performance I'd appreciate it.

Drive the other 3.6R on the lot, if it feels different from how your current 3.6 does, then there's obv an issue. I would be driving an STI right now if it wasn't for the clutch, 42 miles one way in NorCal stop and go mixed hiway/mountain driving wouldn't cut it. If the WRX/STI is doable for you and you can get all the bells and whistles, why not?

I had my 3.6R sent from a warehouse, the dealer only had 2.5's and Outbacks with the 3.6 engine. So I drove both. I had driven a 2011 3.6R a few years prior and really liked it. Once the car showed up to the lot on Sunday, I took it for a drive, and was prepared to walk away from the deal if it didn't feel right, they could keep the $500 delivery fee. If you decide on another Legacy and they have to drive it down, make sure to still test drive it before saying yes.

bsfiosco,

I have almost 4k miles on my 2013 3.6R Limited, ownership time is less than two months, mileage includes a trip from Columbus Ohio to Hilton Head SC and back, and I've not had a single issue you've described.

The ONLY thing I can report that's different than when I bought my car new is the tendency for the transmission to quickly shift from first to second when initially accelerating. I believe it to be the "adaptive" nature of the transmission, as I normally start accelerating very easy to conserve fuel. Now, if I want to accelerate fast from a standstill, the transmission will sometimes shift from first to second, then back down to first...then it really takes off! Flooring it from a standstill, everything works as intended.

I'm sorry you're not happy with your car. Computers control so much of them these days, I'm surprised a "flash" of some sort didn't fix your problem.

I have not had any problems at cruising speeds. My car has a mysterious shudder but not at a shifting point, and that is another issue for me though, I have had the diff fluids changed, tires balanced and an alignment and i shudders sometimes but mostly going up hills almost as if my driving a car up a hill in 5th gear at 20mph. Cruising speed is about the only time my car seems to ride normal to me.

My guess is that you have a bad torque converter. There was a TSB on them for the 4th gen, it was similar symptoms. You can probbaly find it with a search.

Definitely shouldn't behave that way.

The ONLY thing I can report that's different than when I bought my car new is the tendency for the transmission to quickly shift from first to second when initially accelerating. I believe it to be the "adaptive" nature of the transmission, as I normally start accelerating very easy to conserve fuel. Now, if I want to accelerate fast from a standstill, the transmission will sometimes shift from first to second, then back down to first...then it really takes off! Flooring it from a standstill, everything works as intended.

Mine does the same. Of course, when accelerating at a moderate pace(not slow, but not mashing it) the 3.6 has so much torque that it really doesn't matter when it shifts early. Incredible torque curve on these things.

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious on how a few of the people here ended up. I just bought a brand new 2013 3.6R last Saturday and was stuck in traffic today. Noticed the hunt BIG TIME between 2nd and 1st when at low speed. Hoping to bring it by the dealer Saturday. Just under 500 miles right now.

Hi bsfiosco

I would like to chime in, 8200 miles on my 2013 and I have not encountered this problem.

However I would like to add on my 2008 Tribeca with 56k miles, I did experience the shutter twice while going up a slight incline at highway speeds. I can't replicate the shutter and it happened at two different locations.

My 07 will stutter/shudder a bit up an incline after 30 miles of stop and go traffic, in the heat from the commute home. Stopped at the stop sign, start to go, hit the incline and bit of shudder. Happened once last week, had it happen a few times here and there over the past 2 years of owning the car. Rare, but duplicates itself usually in the same spot.

Haven't had any of this on my 2013 though.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd chime in as well. Leased mine a few months back, currently have just over 7k on her, and have noticed the downshift shudder on a handful of occasions. When it's happened, it's been as I'm decelerating, or at very low speeds (where I haven't gotten out of third...side streets, parking lots, etc.). I haven't noticed ANY type of hunting during acceleration, and I've REALLY gotten on it over a few mountain passes (lots of slowing, hard turns, hard acceleration, etc).

I'm an Auto Broker, and have some great relationships with the Subaru dealers here in town. Once I found this thread, I had gone and had it inspected. No codes, couldn't replicate the odd shifting. Didn't do a reflash yet, but for what it's worth, they haven't had anyone else come in complaining about the issues we're discussing. One of the lead tech's was aware of the problem, but couldn't speak to a fix, as they hadn't worked on one yet.

I've been running 91 octane, and am about to hit my 3rd oil change. I realize, of course, that this PROBABLY doesn't make a difference from a maintenance standpoint, but I thought I'd share. Also, I hand picked the car, and have driven it since about 40 miles on the odometer. Followed the break-in guidelines (no major revs, no cruise control for long distances, first oil change at 1k), and have driven it very spiritedly since!

Hopefully that helps a bit.

7k on my '13. No shifting issues. I can mash the gas and it goes smoothly through all gears, even redlines to 1st under WOT, no quick shift to 2nd. No real hunting issues, no stutter during rush hour slow traffic.. My break in was driving fairly normally. High revs getting on the freeways, varying RPM's, up and down the mountain roads. I never just took it easy and kept the RPM's low. Did this over 3k miles. Now it's just spirited driving whenever I get some open road (or an open lane).

Archived