LegacyGT.com

Still have clunk/pop sound? also 5eat issue?

I have a clunk/ pop sound in stop and go traffic that is driving me insane!!! So far I have not been able to find it, I have searched the forums yada yada yada. It sounds and feels like it in the front end almos under my feet on the drivers side.

So far I have changed the fronts sway bar bushings to polyurethane ones grease zerks and all, no difference. My mechanic friend said he thought is was lower control arms so I changed the lower control arms with new bushings and ball joints and rubber mount bushing. Still no change. Any other ideas? I have 80k miles of NYC driving.

I also have a new and different and additional clunk over choppy pavement at slower speeds in the right wheel well, pretty sure that one is a strut tho.

To add to this 3rd gear seems to shift fast and bang into gear once the car is hot. All other shifts are fine. Tranny fluid is clear red still and the proper level. Any ideas?

Other possibilities are wheel bearings or a worn out inner cv joint. The clunk sound sounds like a wheel bearing to me, but I know that in the odd instance, CV axles can do this as well, and I've heard through the grapevine that the CV's in the Legacy aren't the greatest.

Good Luck!

ya definitely sounds like a axle but there can be many things a good mechanic should be able to verify play in anything.

Im going to say check the pitch mount make sure the bolts are tight you might be able to do it with the ic in.

Archived