LegacyGT.com

09' ready for Timing Belt...why not CAMS/headers/tune?

Okay so I'm running right up behind 100K Miles on the ODO and I can't help but get excited to finally work on my engine (apart from basic maintenance). The thing is when I do my timing belt, I figured I'd do a little more while I'm there. Headers, pulley's, idlers, maybe some hoses, but then I thought pulley and CAMS!

I have an 09' 4EAT, and was looking to get a little more low end torque and responsiveness. So I figured I could get away with a lightweight crank pulley like one from Perrin or Grimmspeed and then doing the Cams. I was looking into the Delta 1000 Grind for torque and heard good things in a few forums. And is it really necessary to use their valve springs in conjunction with the cam install?

Does anyone know if or how the 2009 will respond to Delta 1000 cams? And how the heck will I tune this thing? I don't know of any tuners on the Easternshore or DC area that will do N/A's. Maybe I could even tune for 91 octane? I figured you all could give me a little intro. to tuning.

Cams arent an easy mod or cheap. The Delta 1000s are mild enough but a tune would be needed to take advantage. You dont need their springs/retainer to run them but it would help down the stretch.

Do the scheduled work (TB, pulleys, WP, belts)

I'd start with the LWCP. That will probably get you the most power per dollar spent. Headers and cams will definitely net you some awesome power gains. Whether or not it would be worth it is debatable. I know a guy who's great with tuning 2.5i's for a reasonable price. The guy is STi Mikey. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2017329 I got my 2.5i tuned on 91 octane by him, worth every penny.

Power gains are pretty significant, an average of 12whp/12wtq across the whole rpm range from the guy who tuned mine. It's probably even more for me since I have a full header back exhaust. I'm really impressed by how well it pulls on the low end now. Like when I'm just crawling in second gear and I step on it, it used to just bog. Now the throttle response is right on and it actually moves right as I hit the throttle.

Power gains are pretty significant, an average of 12whp/12wtq across the whole rpm range from the guy who tuned mine. It's probably even more for me since I have a full header back exhaust. I'm really impressed by how well it pulls on the low end now. Like when I'm just crawling in second gear and I step on it, it used to just bog. Now the throttle response is right on and it actually moves right as I hit the throttle.

Dont forget to mention how smooth throttle modulation is lol :) I used to hate when in 2nd and creeping along the slightest touch of the throttle would result in a jerk session :rolleyes:

I would def get a tune and try out the LWCP as mentioned those are two great bang for buck mods and that arent expensive

I don't understand how cam install is expensive? If I plan for two weeks downtime pull my cams send them to Delta (spoke to john and he said they were $93 a piece), get them back and put them in.

I feel like the only other expense would some assembly lube and a cam sprocket? Is it possible to do without pulling the engine? It looks like there's enough room without having to.

Is it possible to do without pulling the engine? It looks like there's enough room without having to.

It can be done, but you will hate life before you are finished.

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

I don't understand how cam install is expensive? If I plan for two weeks downtime pull my cams send them to Delta (spoke to john and he said they were $93 a piece), get them back and put them in.

I feel like the only other expense would some assembly lube and a cam sprocket? Is it possible to do without pulling the engine? It looks like there's enough room without having to.

It can be done with the engine in the car, I believe that is how the dealers perform head work. If you've planned the downtime and can turn the wrenched its not as bad. But tuning to take advantage of the mode is a must.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived