LegacyGT.com

Brake squeal at low speeds while turning

ToRealEyes

I'm flustered about whether it's time for new pads or not.

The pads(Hawk HPS) have around 35k on them, and have been making increasingly noticeable brake noise at deceleration. One new thing I've noticed is how it now makes a regulated squeak, squeak, etc. when the wheel is turned slightly at low speeds, ie. going through a slow canyon road. It sounds exactly like the brakes when decelerating. Could this be something besides the brakes? :eek:

My guess if it's consistently happening on turns is that you are starting to develop a wheel bearing issue. The brakes are retracted only a tiny bit from your rotors. If you have a bad bearing, as you turn, your rotor (attached to the bearing) will flex thereby forcing the rotor up against the tretracted pad, simulating touching your brakes.

-mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys. I just tried that test, Jeff. It's not the brakes. It's only noticeable with the windows rolled down. A faint squeak...squeak...squeak...etc.

Mike, we've replaced two of our bearings already due to loud humming at highway speeds. Both covered under warranty. Is there a way to check? Eg. lifting each corner and checking each wheel for play?

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to resuscitate this old thread, but I attempted to push (hard) on the top of the tire, and there is no play. No clicking noise either. I noticed it today when driving again, even with only faint music on and windows 1/2 down. It sounds like those old horse drawn carriage scenes you see in old movies. Slow, intermittent, persistent squeaking. Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as checking pads, having changed pads a lot and having started to track my car some, I always tell folks just take off the wheel, look at the pads (inner AND outer) and see if they're ok or not (have sufficient thickness, etc.)...no need to "guess" on that specific concern. ;-)

Had a question based on Mike's response:

"My guess if it's consistently happening on turns is that you are starting to develop a wheel bearing issue. The brakes are retracted only a tiny bit from your rotors. If you have a bad bearing, as you turn, your rotor (attached to the bearing) will flex thereby forcing the rotor up against the tretracted pad, simulating touching your brakes."

Hmmm....can this happen even if the bearings are fine? That is, when you turn and put a bit of pressure on the wheels, do they "naturally" flex a tiny bit possibly causing this? I have fairly "squealy" brakes due to my high performance setup and this does happen slightly in slow turns.

Hmm that's an good and helpful point. I live in a condo-complex..so taking the car apart isn't the most convenient. It doesn't squeal at all under hard braking, but like you said, best to get a visual. We're putting in koni + epic springs soon, so I'll ask them to address it at that time.

Mike, I didn't lift the car to do the push test. Just with the car down.

Maybe I'll check this out when my neighbors move their cars today... :)

As far as checking pads, having changed pads a lot and having started to track my car some, I always tell folks just take off the wheel, look at the pads (inner AND outer) and see if they're ok or not (have sufficient thickness, etc.)...no need to "guess" on that specific concern. ;-)

Had a question based on Mike's response:

"My guess if it's consistently happening on turns is that you are starting to develop a wheel bearing issue. The brakes are retracted only a tiny bit from your rotors. If you have a bad bearing, as you turn, your rotor (attached to the bearing) will flex thereby forcing the rotor up against the tretracted pad, simulating touching your brakes."

Hmmm....can this happen even if the bearings are fine? That is, when you turn and put a bit of pressure on the wheels, do they "naturally" flex a tiny bit possibly causing this? I have fairly "squealy" brakes due to my high performance setup and this does happen slightly in slow turns.

At slow speeds you shouldn't be getting any bearing flex because it isn't being loaded up. My guess is that your bearings are in very early stages of deterioration. If you track your car, you should plan on R&Ring your bearings on our cars about 1x every 2 seasons on average. I have gone through about 1.5 sets of bearings on my 05 with roughly 2 seasons of track events on it.

-mike

Hmm that's an good and helpful point. I live in a condo-complex..so taking the car apart isn't the most convenient. It doesn't squeal at all under hard braking, but like you said, best to get a visual. We're putting in koni + epic springs soon, so I'll ask them to address it at that time.

Mike, I didn't lift the car to do the push test. Just with the car down.

Maybe I'll check this out when my neighbors move their cars today... :)

Yeah if you can lift that wheel off the ground you'll have a better feel for it.

On your Koni install make sure they don't cut the fronts too short on you. It's very common for shops who don't deal with Konis often to cut the front struts too short, then there is nothing you can do to fix it and must replace the front strut bodies to get it to work.

-mike

Archived