LegacyGT.com

Remove Scalp cap (Change lens on sideview mirror)

I have a problem to remove scalp cap on my Subaru legacy 2,5 2008.

(I am going to change the lens)

I have removed it on the top and from the sides, but it will not come off from the lower side (red arrow).:confused:

The green arrows in the first picture shows where it pops out, but where the red arrow shows, it wont come lose::confused:

I have prying i out from the clips (green arrows, picture 2) , is there any clip behind the white plate? (yellow arrow):

According to the repair manual you only have to prying it out from the clips that i is showing with green arrows in the picture.

What am i doing wrong?

back1.thumb.jpg.017993d7ee3c7590c459bf435d006ab5.jpg

back2.thumb.jpg.6cd7404d3625a6f32561db5b2b8c1691.jpg

• Moderators
I took apart my '05 mirror. I remember it being a bit of a pain but don't recall there being a special "trick" or anything--just need to pop the tabs without any of them latching back on and it should pop off.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You have a PM.

Pages of shop manual too large to post via forum.

Thanx, but i have already read the manual (i have one for 2008 subaru), and i am not getting wiser.:spin:

The model of side mirror changed appearance from year 2008. You have the lens in the middle of side mirror, instead of under the scalp cap.

I dont understand why i cant remove it from the bottom that i showing in the pictures with the red arrow.

• Moderators
The model of side mirror changed appearance from year 2008. You have the lens in the middle of side mirror, instead of under the scalp cap.

I'm aware. I still just think you're missing something--undo all the clips and it should come off--especially if that's what the manual is telling you as well. If it won't separate at a specific point there's likely a clip hiding somewhere nearby.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

No, that's the problem, i can't reach with a screwdriver. The clip isn't visible att all from that side. In my manual they say nothing about tilt the cap out and "down". But can that be the solution?

Sending from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You are right, it doesn't say to tilt down, just to pull it out towards the front, away from the mirror. I would still say it is that tab, directly under the (A) in the second image of the pic you posted, that is causing your problem. If you think removing the white plate will help then you should try it. As far as I remember it is a spring loaded screw, so just be cautious when taking it apart.

That picture also shows that there is a clip on the right side of the "A" . In reality there is no clip there.

I would like to get in touch with somone who has done this kind of "operation" , and know how to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you get this resolved?

No i have not, unfortunately. .i have spoken to the dealership .and they say that you have to use brutal force (gently) to release the scalp cap from the clip .Thay say that you dont have to remove the white plate. I am a little afraid that the clip will break :)

In worst case the dealership may do this job. But i want to do this by my self to save some money :)

Skickat från min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk

The dealership is right, a bit of gentle brute force will do it,( try to squeeze and pull) mines a 05 but I had the same problem, just go for it. When I pulled the door panel to get the mirror off I felt the same way ( something is going to break)

• 9 months later...

I have finally removed the scalp cap.

There is a clip in the middle of the scalp cap that you could not see from behind the mirror

You just have to prye it out gentle

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/5usuvegu.jpg

Unfortunately just that clip broked, but i was able to glue the clip together.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/mydymuzu.jpg

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

Archived