LegacyGT.com

*sigh* loud whine at speeds over 30

Okay, so I read a bit on something that sounded to be a similar issue. For this guy it turned out to be a bearing in the transmission.

I own a 2008 LGT 5MT. It never did this before, but a pronounced whine will make it's way through the cabin at any speed over 30mph. Clutch in, clutch out, Neutral, 3rd, 4th, 5th, no matter. 30mph 40, 50, 60 etc... you get the idea. It's more audible when slowing down. I have 8500 mi. on my car. Previously I owned an 06 that I sold with 17k mi. on it without a similar issue.

Is anyone else reporting this same problem? Is there a techinical reference I can use before the dealer tries to jerk me off and tell me it is normal. It doesn't seem to effect any engaging or performance aspect of the car and goes away with the radio up, but it sure as hell annoys me. $30k car should not do this. Anyway any help, advice, relation stories, anything would be wonderful! If there is a warranty reference # or anything that would be great.

You know, I'm curious how loud the turbo should be at revs around 5000. I'm hearing an awfully loud whine that seems .. incorrect just for the turbo intake sound. I just got through break in so this is the first time I'm taking it up into this range. I have an 08, but I'm a 5EAT. Anyone have a rough baseline of what the turbo actually should sound like around 5000 at 30+?

hmmm sounds like what my 08 is doing too, but mine makes the noise more when I give it more gas. I have 9,000 miles now. Ill probably be taking my car to the dealer as well. Just waiting for tint on my windows to dry so the dealer doesnt mess that up. Keep the thread updated with what the dealer finds out. I dont know if its wheel bearing, exhaust leak, tire noise, or trans/diff issue.

does the sound change with the RPMS? high to low or low to high?

Well it's not RPM dependant, but it seems speed and throttle make it louder. I.E; I can be in 2nd gear at 5k but it's louder in 4th at 3k.

You know, I'm curious how loud the turbo should be at revs around 5000. I'm hearing an awfully loud whine that seems .. incorrect just for the turbo intake sound. I just got through break in so this is the first time I'm taking it up into this range. I have an 08, but I'm a 5EAT. Anyone have a rough baseline of what the turbo actually should sound like around 5000 at 30+?

It should be a light woosh if that. or well mine always created a high pitched kinda sound when I floored it full throttle.

hmmm sounds like what my 08 is doing too, but mine makes the noise more when I give it more gas. I have 9,000 miles now. Ill probably be taking my car to the dealer as well. Just waiting for tint on my windows to dry so the dealer doesnt mess that up. Keep the thread updated with what the dealer finds out. I dont know if its wheel bearing, exhaust leak, tire noise, or trans/diff issue.

I can gaurantee it's not an exhaust leak, or a wheel bearing, or tire noise. It is definately a trans or diff issue. The exhaust leak would be RPM dependant, the wheel bearing doesn't sound like the sound I hear either. But I will keep posted after I goto the dealer. I'm sure they wil say it's normal :rolleyes: we'll see about that when I say let's compare it to another stock 08 on the lot.

Again this is most audible when the vehicle is 0% throttle slowing from 50 down.

Hmm, what I'm hearing is definitely no light fwoosh -- that happens at low revs sure, and I hear the pressure release when I let off like I'd expect. This actually reminds me of the sound of a metal lathe, which is originally what made me think I was hearing a bearing failing. Very very high pitched metal sound -- but for all I know it really could just be how the turbo is supposed to sound up high.

Sounds like what others experienced who had center differential bearings replaced. Search for "whine"... also I believe G.T.Subie had a similar issue as well, you could search his posts.
ignore him, he'll go away.

***UPDATE***

Went to the dealer today to get my oil changed and have this looked at. They believe it is the differential so I had to schedule an appoint for the 28th to bring it in so they can fix it.

I'll keep you guys posted on it and see what happens, the fucked up part is Subaru will only provide me with a rental for 2 days.

It's like "Hey thanks for spending 30k dollars on your brand new Legacy complete with suspension creeks and differential whine, as an appreciation to you, our customer, while your car is in the shop getting fixed if it takes more than 2 days **** YOU!!!!!! Hope to keep you in our line-up for years to come, have a wonderful day."

• 8 months later...

Archived