LegacyGT.com

O2 sensor issues

I have a CEL and cruise flashing. I checked the codes and it is P0031 and P0037. Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Heater circuit low, and Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 heater circuit low.

I replaced both Sensors with the Denso brand. The code will not go away. I have cleared the codes and they immediately come back on as soon as I turn the car on.

Has anyone else had this problem? What am I missing?

FYI - I do have an aftermarket Cat back exhaust, if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

I have a CEL and cruise flashing. I checked the codes and it is P0031 and P0037. Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Heater circuit low, and Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 heater circuit low.

I replaced both Sensors with the Denso brand. The code will not go away. I have cleared the codes and they immediately come back on as soon as I turn the car on.

Has anyone else had this problem? What am I missing?

FYI - I do have an aftermarket Cat back exhaust, if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

What brand. You may have to get O2 spacers for them to work properly. Also alternatively if you have a cobb you can block the codes.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

What brand. You may have to get O2 spacers for them to work properly. Also alternatively if you have a cobb you can block the codes.

My stock exhaust was rotten so I bought a cheap no name off ebay.

Where do I get spacers?

No, they should all be the same. I would get a couple different lengths because some times either the o2 sensor is too far or its too close.

My high mileage turd.

My stock exhaust was rotten so I bought a cheap no name off ebay.

Where do I get spacers?

Another story about trying to save money by buying from ebay.

Read JmP6889928's sticky up top. In there you will find recommended products that work the first time. You will not find ebay products there.

There's a reason for that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Another story about trying to save money by buying from ebay.

Read JmP6889928's sticky up top. In there you will find recommended products that work the first time. You will not find ebay products there.

There's a reason for that.

Well I have 6 kids and I live on a tight budget! I'm just trying to get this POS legacy to stay trouble free for more than 10k miles! I don't have $1k for a name brand high end exhaust! I cant afford a stock exhaust either!

But thanks for the help!

A cat back will not cause a bank 1 O2 sensor problem... that's your front sensor before the turbo and before the catalytic converter.

The bank 2 sensor is to check for emissions compliance, which could be throwing a light if your ebay downpipe (if you bought one) does not have a (good) catalytic converter in it.

Well I have 6 kids and I live on a tight budget! I'm just trying to get this POS legacy to stay trouble free for more than 10k miles! I don't have $1k for a name brand high end exhaust! I cant afford a stock exhaust either!

But thanks for the help!

What we're trying to tell you is, we have learned it's cheaper to do it right the first time.

The guy that sits next to me at work, 2004 Baja. Had a O2 go bad, I tried to tell him, but he bought the $60 one from some site. A few weeks later, he bought a name brand one. I tried to help him save money.

Those of us that have been here for a while have learned that, the hard way. I have a DIY about my front wheel bearing. Ended up taking the Moog one out and buying an OEM replacement, which was actually $30.00 cheaper.

I also don't have a $1k exhaust, I paid $500 for the custom Y pipe two muffler's, two exhaust tips and labor.

I run one step colder spark plugs because they are cheaper.

We're here to help.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

What we're trying to tell you is, we have learned it's cheaper to do it right the first time.

The guy that sits next to me at work, 2004 Baja. Had a O2 go bad, I tried to tell him, but he bought the $60 one from some site. A few weeks later, he bought a name brand one. I tried to help him save money.

Those of us that have been here for a while have learned that, the hard way. I have a DIY about my front wheel bearing. Ended up taking the Moog one out and buying an OEM replacement, which was actually $30.00 cheaper.

I also don't have a $1k exhaust, I paid $500 for the custom Y pipe two muffler's, two exhaust tips and labor.

I run one step colder spark plugs because they are cheaper.

We're here to help.

I understand. Sorry for the "snap". This car is just killing me. I have a 98 Legacy with 252k miles that I can't kill. I bought the 05 expecting the same reliability! But I guess I'm preaching to the choir!

So what do I do? Try the spacers?

A cat back will not cause a bank 1 O2 sensor problem... that's your front sensor before the turbo and before the catalytic converter.

The bank 2 sensor is to check for emissions compliance, which could be throwing a light if your ebay downpipe (if you bought one) does not have a (good) catalytic converter in it.

So I just put in a brand new Denso sensor in the front. And the new exhaust is cat back. So it still has the stock cat. I also replaced the rear sensor with a denso

I understand. Sorry for the "snap". This car is just killing me. I have a 98 Legacy with 252k miles that I can't kill. I bought the 05 expecting the same reliability! But I guess I'm preaching to the choir!

So what do I do? Try the spacers?

I had a brain fart, have you replaced the bank 1 o2 sensor before or no.

My high mileage turd.

I wouldn't consider the replacements to be a mistake. Considering the age and mileage it's coming due anyway, and at least you won't have to be laid out in the snow replacing sensors.

Good point ^

These thing don't last forever.

You may want to check the rubber seals on the radiator and coolant tank caps. I replaced both mine a couple years ago because they were looking sad.

With winter coming soon you want to make sure the safe for the family.

Martya66 which town do you live in ? Your in a good area for having work done on these cars if needed.

So how did you find out it was the fuse ?

If people would have read the original post the answer would have been reasonably apparent (not picking on anyone in particular, I think everyone missed it and jumped to conclusions).

The problem was with the heater circuit, not the sensor output.

So how did you find out it was the fuse ?

I kept searching and searching the internet. believe it or not it was on this site that I found the answer. I searched here first but didn't see anything.

I thought it was weird that both sensors were reading heater circuit low but my skills are limited and I missed something obvious.

Archived