LegacyGT.com

Fitting 3" cone inside stock airbox

ktmrida02

here is my current setup and plans for the car and i wanted to get some insight on a mix and match intake setup. I plan on going cobb stage II in the spring. as of now the 07 lgt has catback and that is it, i purchased it that way. As i was reading on the cobb site, their stage II tune uses stock air box. With that being said i figured i would just go ahead and drop a k&n-$40 panel in it an call it a day. before reading that on the website i did indeed plan to go with the k&n typhoon for $208. and the stage I tune untill i purchase and install downpipe in the spring. im aware that the cfm flow with a 3" element is much greater than a panel type but part of me wants to keep the stock ram air box as stated on the cobb site. Has anyone manage to fit a 3" cone style k&n or other brand filter into the stock box?

I do like the AEM fenderwell that draws considerably colder air into the intake but i dont think they make it for the 07, am i wrong? I had a fenderwell on my GTP and it worked very well.

SO FOR THE GUYS ON HERE THAT REALLY KNOW YOUR INTAKE STUFF. is it possible and if i can get one to fit in the box via a 3in filter moutning plate and maybe and elbow from local auto parts store...... will it flow considerably better than the aftermarket panel filter? is it enough to make a difference only being stage II. I want cold air coming into this little boxer.....not cool/warm.

Any insight from you guys would be greatly appreciated.... AEM fenderwell? k&n drop on on the cheap$$$ or k&n typhoon and me quit whining about warm air.

dave-

I would not go with K&N brand for our cars because their filters require oiling which can mess the readings for MAF sensor on our cars - this has been reported on here

You do not need a cone filter, the stock design works very well for Stage 2 and would not see any more power going with a cone style. If you have 05-09 the cone will not bolt up inside the stock air box. No way to make it work

Personally I would go with Apexi drop in on RallySportDirect.com (I did not do research if other vendors are selling)

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

underground0000000000.........

$40 for one of those seems like a deal. i wounder if can use my k&n cleaner with it? il have to look into it.

cobb needs to come out with a stage 2.5map using their intake or a fenderwell intake from them would be ideal.

thanks for sending me in the right direction!

The cleaner is oil so I wouldnt, like i stated above the oiling the filter is the problem

the Apexi filter is easy to clean. Buy some compress air and use it to blow the 'clean' side (so your not pushing the dirt through).

If you have an AP, Infamous1 (on this board) can e-tune your car. Ends tonite sale price is $75 here

The AP is a generic 'safe' tune so you wont be making as much as you potentially could.

The OTS COBB maps require the fully stock intake. Adding a cone filter inside the stock box could cause issues. IMHO, the K&N filter offers no performance or value over the stock paper filter.

value? little more pshhh sound:lol: thats value to me:lol::lol:

when are they going to come out with a tune that uses their intake as well? cobb stage 2.5? i mean it just seems silly to me to stop there. increasing that cfm flow and adding fuel to increase that extra few ponies before you invest thousands into a stageIII. can i get one sent to me if i give them a ring?

Any insight on this?

People wanted an intake, Cobb made an intake and tested with their system and it worked fine. But warns using against it to protect themselves from any potential problems. People like to sue

Another thing, since there are many intake companies and people want to DIY their own intake or buy a cheap filter like from AutoZone. There will not be 1 tune for all intakes.

Mainly its just to cover themselves

The Legacy OTS maps can NOT be used with the SF intake. Look at the intake product page.

Looks like they changed their tune on this one. Almost 3 years ago they said it was compatible on their website. That's the only reason I bought it! Later found out I was leaning out a bit when I went for a protune.

Now they have this:

NOTE: COBB Tuning does not yet offer Off-The-Shelf maps for the Legacy GT SF Intake. Custom self-tuning using AccessTUNER Race or professional dyno tuning is required for this intake.

Thanks for the heads up!

Archived